Change Mode

#2- 07 Fail

Fluffage

Hey everyone,

This morning my computer was running perfect. Walked away, and came back and the computer was locked up. Couldn't move the mouse, couldn't CTRL + ALT + DEL or anything. So I turned it off using the power button. Turned it back on, everything was normal for like 15 minutes and then it did the same thing. So, I did the same as before. Problem came back.

So, using the BIOS system on the computer I ran Hard Drive Self Test, it took about an hour and then it came back with the following message "#2- 07 Fail".

I looked it up on Google, and found out that there were several other people who use Pavilion dvxxxx series laptops and have had the same problems. Seems like everyone has used different methods to fix it. The only thing I've done so far is to run a dskchk through DOS, it does the check, and says there is some sort of problem, so I tried to use dskchk /r or /f, and it says somethings about other processes being ran on the volume(c drive) and asks me if I'd like to run the check when I restart the system, I tell it yes... Restart and nothing happens.

Apparently this fixed the problem for one HP Customer, but it's not worked for me yet.

I use Windows XP, just got Service Pack 3.

So I'm wondering, is there really a way to fix this without getting a new HD? Is it the HD at all causing it to do that? Could it be related to a virus in some way? I ran a scan and didn't pick anything up.y

Thanks in advance for any suggestions offered,

Dave

So there is no way to save it?

I've hardly been able to back up much info, due to the random lock ups. However, I did find out that while the dskchk is in action it won't die out on me. So I've been able to back up some info that way.

How would you suggest that I get the drive replaced? Is that a do it yourself type of thing, or should I look for a pro?

Thanks for the help!

I would normally agree here except for one small thing

I use Windows XP, just got Service Pack 3.Dave

So just how long ago did you get sp3, and did you run any other updates or have any other glitches?

with all the hub bub going on about sp3 i would add it into my search parameters

Bear

I would normally agree here except for one small thing

So just how long ago did you get sp3, and did you run any other updates or have any other glitches?

with all the hub bub going on about sp3 i would add it into my search parameters

Bear

Well I haven't looked into the SP3 glitches around yet. That's the reason why I mentioned it, didn't know if perhaps that would be a factor.

I installed it I think... 5 days ago. I haven't had any other notable problems since I installed, though. What would you suggest I do to try to find out more about SP3 glitches?

add sp3 to your google search string

Well, I did that and can't seem to find anything about the 2 being related in any way. So... I guess it's time to replace the HD.

I've been online looking at some already, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Can any laptop HD work? Are there HP specific HDs?

Is there a way to find out what type of HD I currently have? And also a way to find out what kind of HDs are compatable with it laptop?

Edited by Fluffage

• 12 years later...
Posted (edited)

Sorry For the Bump, #2 - 07 error meaning there's another drive bay *Even its Not There* Its an bug back then, this is an advice, its not your hdd getting bad, theres an bug/glitch happening in your bios. its completely normal to see this. Also this warning should only show on hp Desktop computers.

Edited by Force
Forgot to put Detailed information

2 hours ago, Force said:

Sorry For the Bump, #2 - 07 error meaning there's another drive bay *Even its Not There* Its an bug back then, this is an advice, its not your hdd getting bad, theres an bug/glitch happening in your bios. its completely normal to see this. Also this warning should only show on hp Desktop computers.

Hola @Forceand :wpcm:

Thanks your your input on this bud, but I do believe it's fair to say that this is no longer an issue for the OP. 

Hope you enjoy your time here and thanks for the willingness to help! 

Tx 🤠