Change Mode

Moving Program Files

Nathan7986

Basically I have 2 Hard drives, and i want all my program files on 1, and just windows and my documents on the other. How do i go about doing this, is there a program that will look through and move things safely including the registry entries?

Thanks

Basically I have 2 Hard drives, and i want all my program files on 1, and just windows and my documents on the other. How do i go about doing this, is there a program that will look through and move things safely including the registry entries?

Thanks

I don’t know of a program that will change the registry pointers but you could uninstall them and reinstall after changing the location.

Create a folder on say, drive D. Now click Start > Run, type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. In the right pane, right-click ProgramFilesDir and Modify it to the drive/folder of your choice, e.g. D:\Program Files which will put all new programs on the D drive.

I could be wrong but i don't think that would move the registry entry's, what i think may happen is one of two things either you will see .bak files or several entries for a single file like winam.1 winamp.2 and so on.

It would be a real good idea if you made a back up of your registry before you do any of this, at least in my opinion.

In case you don't know how to make a back up

In the runbox regedit

select the very first h_key root right click and export, call it what ever just don't change the .reg

if you need to make an edit make a copy of that file and open it in word pad or note pad and then

re-save it as a .reg. To put it back right click merge. just don't ever change the original this way if

something happnes you can put it back.

Bear

awesome I've just done that. its the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT part of the registry yea?

That is the registry, mess that up and you could be sol thats why i strongly suggest a back up

before making any edits manually or otherwise.

Bear