Sign in to follow this  
CarlGrossman

Have times changed?

,_,For many years, I have taken it as a given that "unsubscribing" from spam simply validates your address so I avoided it.

,_,For reasons I'm still not clear about (wishful thinking?), I have begun to wonder if spammers have become sophisticated enough to realize that it wastes their own resources to spam someone who actively avoids it.

,_,And so I have just unsubscribed from about a dozen. Before continuing, however, I'd like some opinions on whether or not I"m being an idiot. One thing my perhaps wishful thinking noticed was that most-to-all of these buried the link very deeply - changing the text color to make it almost blend in with the background, like they really do NOT want it to be found.

,_,So, I'm wondering if I'm being naiive or not.

,_,And, if I'm not being naiive, do you think that continuing this religously will eventually start to have some minimal payoff?

times have changed !

unsubscribing tells them you are there and this will launch a whole new change of events, you will eventually get spammed by someone else, your email address is very valuable :)

Thank you for confirming we have reached a valid email address. We understand that you are not interested in our products, so we will stop sending you mail about them and your name has been removed from our mailing list. However so that not all is a total loss, we have sold this valid email address to 1000 other spammers. Thank you have a nice day.

times have changed !

unsubscribing tells them you are there and this will launch a whole new change of events, you will eventually get spammed by someone else, your email address is very valuable :)

Damn . . . thank yoiu. I'm glad I had the instincts to double check before unsubscriting to the rest of 'em. THere are few things I have more than spam so allow me to post a solution? wait - maybe that deserves a new topic. brb

When I first started using computers I was careless with my email address and wound up receiving tons of spam.

The only way to really stop it in its tracks was to change my email address to one unlike the one I had before. Then I informed all of my contacts and just checked the old account occasionally to make sure I didn't miss anyone.

From that point, I made it a point to protect that email address. I never give it to any site that has not proven itself trustworthy to me.

I now get 0 spam emails. I haven't received any since I made the change. That's about 7 years with no spam.

This won't work for a business of course, but for a home user it works just fine.

Mark

Damn . . . thank yoiu. I'm glad I had the instincts to double check before unsubscriting to the rest of 'em. THere are few things I have more than spam so allow me to post a solution? wait - maybe that deserves a new topic. brb

i will be awaiting on your new topic :tup:

I don't trust spam filters. I've tried all kinds of spam filters and didn't like any of them. That's why I did it the way I did.

Mark

I have an account setup for sites i don't trust or need an email for whatever reason.I call it my :spam: account.Has worked out pretty good over the years.

I have an account setup for sites i don't trust or need an email for whatever reason.I call it my :spam: account.Has worked out pretty good over the years.

I have gone one better or maybe two

I have one for family and close friends which states that if i am ever included in a mass e-mail my e-mail address need to be in the blind carbon copy, the addy is encrypted and everyone has to have either a number or use the same service.

http://hushmail.com

use another to sign up on web sites, i don't open anything unless i am expecting it and the subject line has a mutually agreed upon subject.

One for every day use and even in that one i seldom get spam because i never open anything i did not ask for.

Bear

I have gone one better or maybe two

I have one for family and close friends which states that if i am ever included in a mass e-mail my e-mail address need to be in the blind carbon copy, the addy is encrypted and everyone has to have either a number or use the same service.

CODE

http://hushmail.com

Bear,just may have to give that a look see