Change Mode

What type of HD interface is this?

I was wondering, is their a HD size limit on laptops? I know 7200rpm runs a little hotter so the company recommends sticking with 5400rpm, does it really make a big difference in rpm? But what about size?I pop open my hd from my laptop and I do not recognize the interface.I assumed it was the same as my PS3 but it's not.It looks like one long strip and the HD contains two rolls off pins. About 20 or 19 on both sides then a few more later on. What interface am i looking for?Thanks!

That would be the EIDE interface.

2 rows of 20 pins (minus 1 pin) make up 40 pins of the complete interface. There are some disks with 4 extra pins that use those 4 pins rather than the MOLEX connector for power.

The latest breed of disk drives today are Serial ATA, and they use 7-pin interfaces, and they can be powered using a MOLEX connector (some drives), or with a new 15-pin power cable.

WARNING!! DO NOT USE BOTH POWER CONNECTIONS AT THE SAME TIME!

Edited by EclipseWebJS2

In this case, it would have the usual 39 out of the 40 pins (pin 20 is always missing) plus 4 extra pins to supply power to the disk drive.Actually, if Pin 20 exists, then it's capable of "flash memory". This pin is "VCC_In" as defined in the ATA standard. It only supplies power to the flash memory area without requiring any additional power pins.

guys are so vicious. :lol:

The other pins are probably power, and SATA is so thin it gets its power like that.

as for the speed? I really reccomed 7200RPM. Its gonna cost a little more, but for the speed and performance, its worth it. Loading times on a 5400 RPM drive is just terrible. Heat isnt really a factor on mine, i cant even notice it. Probably the only thing is it will drain juice a little faster.

Maybe if the topic starter provided pictures of the interface connector then maybe we can shed more light on the situation.

Should of thought about that, here it is:

http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f335/Kil...nt=P8110003.jpg

Yeah 5400rpm is terrible!!!!!!! It's actually too slow and I need a better one. But because it's a laptop would additional heat be an issue? I'm actually hoping to go past 7200rpm, if HD is available.

What the? This thing has 44 IDE controller pins!

I'm guessing that's bad???? Seriously I dunno. I'm so use to seeing notebook HD like the ones the PS3 uses and seeing this in my laptop confused me.

Well at least we can establish this as IDE, Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!

But I'm a bit confuse of how to find a better one on newegg, these are their choices:

Interface

ATA-6 (12)

SATA 1.5Gb/s (31)

SATA 3.0Gb/s (21)

Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) (2)

huh?

Interface

ATA-6 (12)

Is the one you want (different names, (PATA, ATA-6, IDE, EIDE) same interface). And from what I can find quickly looking, it looks like you're stuck with a 5400 RPM drive using an ATA/IDE drive. The only 7200 RPM drives I can find are all SATA.

I found one that is 160gb 7200rpm notebook ATA drive for under a hundred but the site doesn't look right cause research on the drive comes up as SATA. I'm waiting for a reply, i'll post a link but that's bookmarked on my home pc.

Y'know I finding this online called a "EIDE PATA IDE to SATA HD notebook adaptor" maybe it might be a good idea????? I feel kind of wierd using an adaptor for something as important as a HD but what do you think? I have SOME space so it might work. There is about almost an inch of space, the HD bay on my laptop is to slide it accross then remove. If the cable connectors are short enough I just may make it.

There appears to be a lot of different adaptors i'm gonna look for one that's good on limit space. I mean EIDE notebook HD at 7200rpm are mad expensive not even much in gb and their SATA friends are a fraction on price and easier to find.

It might work....... What do you think? Look harder for a EIDE notebook hd or find an adaptor and get a sata drive??????

I give up finding a 7200rpm hd that is greater than 80gb. I think I'll get the Western digital 250gb hd ATA 5400rpm 2.5 it's 100 plus tax. Not too bad, but really wanted 7200 cause running all my 3d programs slow this computer down. can't afford a better one and getting a new hd seem more pratical budget wise. Stupid intergrated graphics. Oh well.

Is there a HD limit on laptops???? I get mix responses. I remember reading that somewhere, something to do with the bios? I think it should be fine but how can i check? And not customer service as they appear to auto respond emails to call them, and i can not get through. How can i check?