Change Mode

Strange printer behavior on 2 different printers!

Any idea would be appreciated.

My brother called me asking if I had any idea what he could try next...He explains his problem as his printer suddenly began to print only black...not in gray scale but the color is not coming out of the cartridges. These are some things he tried:

1. Replaced the color cartridge not once but twice assuming the first one he purchased must have been a dud. Still the same...

2. Checked printer settings to make sure it wasn't on gray scale but it's not printing like a black and white picture, it's just colorless.

3. Ran head cleaner.

4. Uninstalled printer software and reinstalled it.

5. Put a different printer on same computer with the same exact behavior?????

Both printers are the same, both Lexmark. At this point the only thing I can think of is a virus? Any ideas?

TBH there are only 2 things I know of that can cause that, first is the settings, eg the printer or the software has been instructed to print in black, but you say that has been checked.

So the only other thing is they need a new printer, either that or you need to clean the print head out, which isn't that easy, although you can get cleaning cartridges, but I suspect the that is clogged up with dry ink, it happens a lot, and the makers will say it happens most if you use non genuine ink, and Lexmark is very expensive for ink, much better off with an Epson or an HP IMO.

There may be other things as well, but those are what I see as being most likely, a quick test would be print out his file on your printer, if it prints in colour then it's definitely the printers at fault IMO.

With printers so cheap nowadays my fix is always to buy a new one if mine isn't currently under warranty. There are many deals to be had. Again, this is if the actual printer components are indeed faulty. By the way, I had 2 Lexmark printers and they were both junk. I like the HP printers.

Mark

Sorry, missed that part. Maybe download and install the latest driver package from Lexmark. Could be a virus though. Wouldn't hurt to try a System Restore to before the problem first popped up. Also look at any new software/hardware installations that may be conflicting with the printer operation.

Mark

Well I have personally never heard of a virus causing such behaviour, but that doesn't mean someone else might know of it, and I don't know of any instructions about cleaning online without searching, so you have as much chance as I do there.

I know you can buy 2 types of cleaner, first comes in cartridge form exactly the same as if it were ink, you put it in and run head cleaning cycles until it does the job, the other method is much messier I am guessing, as it is just a solution, you could either drip it into the carriage but it wont be pretty and you may end up with a right mess, the other way is to strip the printer down removing the bit that needs cleaning then you can simply soak it, this is the cleanest way probably, but stripping down a printer to get that part out is another matter.

Although it may seem strange to have 2 printers go the same way, it isn't unheard of, given both printers are in the same environment, probably ruining the same brand of ink (people usually buy aftermarket ink), and the same sort of usage then it is quite possible, replacement ink doesn't come with the same mix of cleaner in it, and when used infrequently usually ends up in drying out (even with genuine ink sometimes), hence the blocked head(s), to test his PC get him to borrow a neighbours\mates printer for testing, if that prints colour on the same PC then it IMHO confirms his printers have probably dried up blocking the ink getting through, hope they get it sorted.

got model numbers on these printers? helps if we know what were looking at

Nope, I'll just tell my bro to search for these on google to see if there are any instructions of how to clean the heads out. He's always been the type to take everything apart just to see how it works...HA! It would appear safe to say the heads are clogged up. Just a "coinkydink" that they both are...probably a common thing for those Lexmark printers.

Thanks for others help!

Edited by andromeda

I've successfully cleaned out blocked heads on a Canon by removing the printhead and soaking it in boiling water for half an hour. I had to do this twice but it was totally successful.

These days a new printer usually comes cheaper than a new printhead but I dont know about Lexmark. I prefer Canon because you can disable the chip and manually refill the cartridges using a syringe.

I consider myself pretty good when it comes to striping things down and rebuilding them, from engines to washing machines theres not many things I've not tackled, but I tried striping down my Epson prior to my current printer for the same reason, and basically I gave up, got the runner free and everything but could see no easy way to remove the carriage all together, and they use surclips on some of the connections, so IMHO he has nothing to lose trying, but tell him to take pictures and make notes at every stage of removing something, you'd be amazed at how intertwined it all is once you start, and the springs are the worst to figure because they may be wound round a certain way a couple of times, and as you remove them they come off so fast you have no idea, this was a large part of my hassle, it's definitely a learning curve.

But make sure they steer clear of Lexmark in future, there is a reason they are so cheap, and thats because the ink is not, I will never get one again TBH, Epson or HP is what I would go with.

I consider myself pretty good when it comes to striping things down and rebuilding them, from engines to washing machines theres not many things I've not tackled, but I tried striping down my Epson prior to my current printer for the same reason, and basically I gave up, got the runner free and everything but could see no easy way to remove the carriage all together, and they use surclips on some of the connections, so IMHO he has nothing to lose trying, but tell him to take pictures and make notes at every stage of removing something, you'd be amazed at how intertwined it all is once you start, and the springs are the worst to figure because they may be wound round a certain way a couple of times, and as you remove them they come off so fast you have no idea, this was a large part of my hassle, it's definitely a learning curve.

But make sure they steer clear of Lexmark in future, there is a reason they are so cheap, and thats because the ink is not, I will never get one again TBH, Epson or HP is what I would go with.

HAHAHA! I have visions of my brother throwing the printer off the back porch...HEHE! :rofl2: Thanks!

I asked cuz my lil sis has a very cheap lexmark and it's not made to print in color, she just uses it for school docs

No, they used to print in color and just suddenly stopped...hense the color ink cartridges that he already replaced. I believe my brother to be technologically challenged but not much! HA!

HAHAHA! I have visions of my brother throwing the printer off the back porch...HEHE! :rofl2: Thanks!

Well I am an experienced licenced flying instructor :mrgreen: I ripped my PC out of the wall and threw it 6' across the room a few years back now when it wound me up ROFL. :laughing: