Change Mode

I need help to reformat my "D" drive....

I have two 500 GB Sata hard drives. The D:\ drive was mirroring my C:\ drive when all he11 broke loose with SP1 installed on Vista. (Raid Array... she come undone :( )

I was able to re-install Vista Ultimate on drive C, but I now it looks like I have a spare D drive to back up to if needed.

I don't know much if anything about the innerds (hardware) of computers :blushing: ...

Maybe one of you kind souls can either walk me through this, or please point me to a tutorial to reformat this drive?

TBH it should be very simple to do, first thing to get the system to see the drive you need to remove that drive from any raid array, now boot up and look under your "My Computer" and with luck you should see it there, if you do then simply right click on it and select format, the rest should be obvious eg NTFS and drive label etc.

Another option is to get a bootable format utility such as KillDisk, then boot to that media, identify the drive you wish to format and format it from there, the drive makers will have their own utility as well capable of the same thing, possibly even from within windows itself, just make sure you identify the correct drive so you avoid formatting the wrong one.

There is a surefire way to guarantee that if you want, turn the system off, open the case up and again identify which of the drives is the one needing a format, then remove both the power lead and the data lead, you can also use this to test you have the right drive as well by booting to the remaining drive, it will be one or the other then, in which case remove the drive to be kept leads and then boot to the media and format, seeing as it's a single drive at that point means you wont choose the wrong one.

Sorry if all this sounds complex, it really isn't at all, just trying to explain is what makes it look worse than it is, hope this helps.

It does sound complected! I'm pretty sure my C:\ drive is the top one and D:\ is the bottom one...I think :blink:

Right now, I'm on XP and running chkdsk on the Vista "D" drive to make sure there are no problems. I apparently can get into it, but there's not much there. It says it's used about 30 GBs of space.

Yeah sorry, was trying to cover all the possibles to be safe, it really is easy though, now going from what you have said, you have clearly identified the drive you wish to format ? and can view it whilst in windows ?

Then there are 2 ways to go:-

1. Go into your My Computer, you will see all your drives listed, including the one you want formatted, right click on that drive and select format, the rest is obvious and writes itself as they say.

or

2. go to the drive makers site and download their utility that will run in windows and install\use that to format, sorted, but option 1 is probably the simplest way to go as it's only a couple of clicks, hope this is easier to follow now lol.

i have a question

would formatting your D:Drive erase the recovery partition`

D:drive is my recovery and if it had problem like that would it erase it

making it useless

just asking

i have a question

would formatting your D:Drive erase the recovery partition`

D:drive is my recovery and if it had problem like that would it erase it

making it useless

just asking

She has an awesome custom built system. No recovery partition. :P The builder knows his stuff :lol:

Edited by PORTHOS

it was just a question

wasnt really saying that d drive was your recovery partion

but however my question was answered

but another question

how do these partitions mirror themselves

and any way to prevent that

Edited by mme

Yes he does, but I didn't want to press him with my stupidity! :P:lol:

Your certainly not stupid.

being unfamiliar does equate with stupidity.

There is only one way to learn, you do it, you make mistakes, you start over and do it again, eventually you get comfortable enough to handle tasks with ease that you previously thought difficult.

When someone absolutely needs hand holding to accomplish something thats what I do, but I try and avoid doing it with people who are capable once they get past their fears. Hand holding doesn't help in the long run. I don't think you need that kind of help Jacee as you have proven with this thread.

You are capable, you just need to work with what makes them tick a little more ( aka drivers, hardware, and the various settings ).

That said, you have my phone number and I always support what I sell. You are always more then welcome to ring me up.

Glad you got the drive formatted and winders running again. I knew you would manage to do it :tup:

it was just a question

wasnt really saying that d drive was your recovery partion

but however my question was answered

but another question

It was set up initially with RAID1 for data integrity. However it seems Vista SP1 kinda broke things, or the Intel Matrix driver/software didn't care for SP1. I personally have never seen a RAID1 setup destroyed, but I guess anything is possible when applying a windows service pack.

I set it up with RAID1 to avoid the exact problem Jacee experienced. Problem is if the main operating system is experiencing problems, that is mirrored to the second drive.

New pic of HDD...

Nothing, nada, zip...

lol I did say it was easy :clap: it's the explaining that is difficult sometimes balancing clear instructions without leaving room for error.

Yes he does, but I didn't want to press him with my stupidity! :P:lol:

As Bruce said that is absolute rot, although it's exactly what I say when I don't know about something lol :lol: so I know what you mean, but anyone that can do those scans and interpret them are far from "stupid"

but another question

I certainly can't explain the working's of mirroring, but my understanding is the controller sends the same info to each drive as though it was being written to the one drive, hence producing a mirror of the other drive, the only way to stop a mirror is turn it off I think, which is where Jacee is now.

There is only one way to learn, you do it, you make mistakes, you start over and do it again, eventually you get comfortable enough to handle tasks with ease that you previously thought difficult.

When someone absolutely needs hand holding to accomplish something thats what I do, but I try and avoid doing it with people who are capable once they get past their fears. Hand holding doesn't help in the long run. I don't think you need that kind of help Jacee as you have proven with this thread.

There is a lot of truth behind that, when I came here I struggled with installing let alone anything else, but TBH once you can install a system there is nothing else to worry about, so what if you mess something up, just reinstall, after a few hundred\thousand reinstalls you will find you have learnt a whole lot of stuff lol, it doesn't matter if you mess up your registry (on a custom build NOT shop bought) because you can just reinstall again, get it wrong often enough and you start remembering what you can and can't do\get away with.