Change Mode

New Car for the Kiddo

el kido

Ok, i know this is going to start a hate thread, but please, lets keep it clean and not rude as I dont act rude toward any of you guys.

Right now I have a 2004 dodge Ram 1500 with only 2 wheel drive and a 5.7L engine (not hemi)

I do my constant offrading weekly and do bottom it out a bit and need more power for hills sometimes. Now, On Friday night I was out with some friends and we were heading back before it got to dark and I managed to get stuck in a River wash. I didnt even notice it, i was really mad.

we had a few friends come with a GMC 4 x 4 and tow us out with ease and make it back up the hill we went down with no problem. I fell in love at first site.

So now, Im going to trade my truck for a used 4 x 4. I plan on using this as a nice play car and tow our boats and jet skiis and do the work with. Then for daily cruising or something I will hitch hike with my mom.

Monthly payments are $500, I split it with my dad, I pay $300 and he does $200. I pay gas (AVG. 10 MPG) and my insurance :hammer: I found THIS (im sure PCP lets me post this, if not sorry)

I have $6k left to payoff my truck, and the old blue book was $14,000 before my sis crashed it. Im sure I can atleast break even or get a penny off it or so. My new payments should be $200+/- on it, thats do able since I can make that in a week at toys r us and then ebay supports me the rest for enjoyment.

Either way I save compared to my car, GAS is maybe a down, im probably looking at 8mpg or even less.

Whats your guys' input? Worth it? My car already has 101,000 miles on it but NO issues. The new one im not to sure about. I sent the guy an email

A truck is my only option to be honest.

I:

Dirtbike

Carry Heavy loads

use this for work

use this for offroading

use this for trips to pull

so, really, we wont have another car to do this with, thats why I cant go back to little cars. I WILL CARPOOL WITH MY MOM WHEN I CAN.

What other options are out there? Id like to hear it all. My Max is $13,000, really, I cant go any higher then that. Im also going to try to knock this down to maybe $10,000 since Im sure trucks arent to popular right now. and I only need a max of a 4" lift for better clearance, 6" is a bit much but ill deal with it :)

Call your local bank or credit union and see if a truck you like has been turned in due to inability to pay. We have all kinds of vehicles sitting in bank or cu lots waiting for new owners, and you only need to pay off the loan balance in some cases... :)

Edited by theoldgardener

And you should be looking toward higher gas mileages. Gas-guzzlers aren't gonna cut it with $4 gas.

I really have no options since over 80% of my familys life style needs a truck.

OG, my uncle does that and I asked if he found something to let me know. He finds pretty cool cars to.

Bruce, I been looking hard but cant find a cleaner truck with a little lift and 4 wheel drive for that price. I doubt anyone wants to pick up a truck right now so if its sitting there to long maybe i can bribe him down.

Fireball. Find mer a TRUCK thats hydrogen then we can talk. :P

Hi Kiddo,

Have you thought about looking in to monthly auctions of repos or bank repos like theoldgardener said,

you could probably find one for about half of what you're looking to spend.

Good Luck

Don

ya, my uncle does that and hasnt seen much of the one I was looking for there. I will love to get an auction price for a truck.

Anyone know the estimate to fix a Dodge Ram 1500 with the driver side doors dented in from an accident?

Toyota tundra 4x4... 2002-03

its a little ugly and has a shorter bed. I checked and there was none with a lift for the same price as the dodge. I remember lookin at them last year and they were loaded for around 8k.

its a little ugly and has a shorter bed. I checked and there was none with a lift for the same price as the dodge. I remember lookin at them last year and they were loaded for around 8k.

call junkyards see if they have a door sometimes u get lucky and find same color

Ok, i know this is going to start a hate thread, but please, lets keep it clean and not rude as I dont act rude toward any of you guys.

Right now I have a 2004 dodge Ram 1500 with only 2 wheel drive and a 5.7L engine (not hemi)

I do my constant offrading weekly and do bottom it out a bit and need more power for hills sometimes. Now, On Friday night I was out with some friends and we were heading back before it got to dark and I managed to get stuck in a River wash. I didnt even notice it, i was really mad.

we had a few friends come with a GMC 4 x 4 and tow us out with ease and make it back up the hill we went down with no problem. I fell in love at first site.

So now, Im going to trade my truck for a used 4 x 4. I plan on using this as a nice play car and tow our boats and jet skiis and do the work with. Then for daily cruising or something I will hitch hike with my mom.

Monthly payments are $500, I split it with my dad, I pay $300 and he does $200. I pay gas (AVG. 10 MPG) and my insurance :hammer: I found THIS (im sure PCP lets me post this, if not sorry)

I have $6k left to payoff my truck, and the old blue book was $14,000 before my sis crashed it. Im sure I can atleast break even or get a penny off it or so. My new payments should be $200+/- on it, thats do able since I can make that in a week at toys r us and then ebay supports me the rest for enjoyment.

Either way I save compared to my car, GAS is maybe a down, im probably looking at 8mpg or even less.

Whats your guys' input? Worth it? My car already has 101,000 miles on it but NO issues. The new one im not to sure about. I sent the guy an email

A truck is my only option to be honest.

I:

Dirtbike

Carry Heavy loads

use this for work

use this for offroading

use this for trips to pull

so, really, we wont have another car to do this with, thats why I cant go back to little cars. I WILL CARPOOL WITH MY MOM WHEN I CAN.

What other options are out there? Id like to hear it all. My Max is $13,000, really, I cant go any higher then that. Im also going to try to knock this down to maybe $10,000 since Im sure trucks arent to popular right now. and I only need a max of a 4" lift for better clearance, 6" is a bit much but ill deal with it :)

off roading in 2wd... bad idea. If you are serious about off-roading get a jeep or land rover, they're the oldest brands for off road vehicles and are great for it...

Being realistic, get something like a toyota tundra. I've only heard good things about them. :tup:

something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...p3756.m14.l1308

already has a brushguard...

off roading in 2wd... bad idea. If you are serious about off-roading get a jeep or land rover, they're the oldest brands for off road vehicles and are great for it...

Being realistic, get something like a toyota tundra. I've only heard good things about them. :tup:

something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...p3756.m14.l1308

already has a brushguard...

to be honest, the 2WD suits me fine until I get to a rough spot which I dont aim for. 4wd will open my world

Im not fond of the jeep, but I need a bed to rack my dirtbike in the back and carry a load when I need to. Im not going to be hard core offroading, just offroading when I get the chance and being able to do some rugged spots on the truck without going 2mph from bumps :hammer:

Not enough power in those Tundras? V6?

It did get truck of the year for that year (2000)

to be honest, the 2WD suits me fine until I get to a rough spot which I dont aim for. 4wd will open my world

Im not fond of the jeep, but I need a bed to rack my dirtbike in the back and carry a load when I need to. Im not going to be hard core offroading, just offroading when I get the chance and being able to do some rugged spots on the truck without going 2mph from bumps :hammer:

Maybe you ought to get a gmc or chevy like that one your friend had? My dad used to have a silverado with 4 wheel drive, and it got the job done... But regarding that lift kit; do you really need 4-6 inches? Are you fording rivers often or something? Whatever truck you get, try it out for awhile without the lift kit. Then see if you really need it. If it's a proper 4x4 it'll have good approach/departure angles and be able to clear most objects and rocks fairly well.

I've heard from LR guys that the reason pick up trucks will have a stiff ride is due to the design of the suspension, being built for heavy loads rather than comfort off road. I dont know how true that is but it sounds fairly plausible.

They come in v8's

2004 is 240hp with 315 lbs torque

Maybe you ought to get a gmc or chevy like that one your friend had? My dad used to have a silverado with 4 wheel drive, and it got the job done... But regarding that lift kit; do you really need 4-6 inches? Are you fording rivers often or something? Whatever truck you get, try it out for awhile without the lift kit. Then see if you really need it. If it's a proper 4x4 it'll have good approach/departure angles and be able to clear most objects and rocks fairly well.

I've heard from LR guys that the reason pick up trucks will have a stiff ride is due to the design of the suspension, being built for heavy loads rather than comfort off road. I dont know how true that is but it sounds fairly plausible.

I cant find a good deal on them. I was looking for a Silverado but no good.

4-6" isnt much if you look at it, its when the tires get larger with the lift.

I thought I didnt need the lift or even 4wd, but since Im running into more and more spots that need it, it cant be bad. There are a nice set of rivers and creeks that separate the fun and boring in winter, right now I can go to the fun because its dried up. My truck has bottomed out a few times already and leaving bad marks under the truck. It can get pretty rocky here to and there isnt enough clearance at stock.

I dont have enough $$ to go play with a regular 4 x 4 then a lift, might as well purchase a lifted one right now.

lilbill, let me go look on a 2004 model. My dad told me to check them out to.

DIESEL!!!!!!! big 4x4 with full cab

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks...p3756.m14.l1318

found that in 2 minutes, but look around, my parents have a huge full cab with 6ft bed 4x4 chevy diesel that gets 20-23 highway, 12-14 city with the modded electronics my stepdad put in it.

now thats overkill :lol:

I cant find anything good here in California.

I want to stay under $14,000 to stay under a $250 monthly payment. Im aiming for $10,000 if I can. But the car cant be much of a downgrade from mine. Atleast a recent model, under 100k miles, and GAS.

I listed my car. $7k. $4k to payoff, so I might step up my choices but I may just give the extra to my parents to help them out.