Change Mode

Windows update loop at shutdown

A friend has an XP machine which on Shutdown tries to install a Windows update file, but fails for wahtever reason then tries again etc etc etc and never finishes. I know which update it is so I'd like to delete it from wherever it is and force Windows to download it again. Is this possible?

Do a System Restore to before the update was downloaded. Then run Windows Update.

Mark

Unfortunately this problem has been happening for quite a while now and I don't want to mess with any changes made since then

A friend has an XP machine which on Shutdown tries to install a Windows update file, but fails for wahtever reason then tries again etc etc etc and never finishes. I know which update it is so I'd like to delete it from wherever it is and force Windows to download it again. Is this possible?

What service pack does it have? Is the update for Windows or IE7? Mine has SP3 and in the windows folder there is a file named $hf_mig$ and it has all the updates inside it. Before SP3 I remember a file named $hf_mig$ with all the updates listed below it in a bright blue colour. The $hf_mig$ file kept track of updates that had been installed. I have also found a sub folder under IE7 with updates in it.

What service pack does it have? Is the update for Windows or IE7? Mine has SP3 and in the windows folder there is a file named $hf_mig$ and it has all the updates inside it. Before SP3 I remember a file named $hf_mig$ with all the updates listed below it in a bright blue colour. The $hf_mig$ file kept track of updates that had been installed. I have also found a sub folder under IE7 with updates in it.

Not sure what sevice pack it has, but the update wasn't for IE7. It was for Capicom whatever that is. i have the exact KB number somewhere. I'll look for the folder/file you suggested