Change Mode

Well, I put OpenSUSE 11 on my laptop.

The installer looked nice, but X restarts an annoying amount of times during installation and gets replaced with a CLI login or a CLI message saying "DONT PANIC!"

Another thing is I thought it was stuck on 48%, but it turns out the status bar doesn't update unless I move the mouse.

I specifically unchecked the box that said "auto login", but I've not once been asked to log in.

The network manager applet told me there were no wifi networks in range. I tried editing the card in YaST but it failed at the step where it connects to the internet, which is impossible because the connection isn't working yet. After a restart it did detect my network, but fails to connect to it the first time I click it, every time. I have to wait for it to fail then try again.

I tried to install updates but was told I'm not allowed when on battery mode, which is a decision I prefer to make for myself. There's probably an option to change this, but I can't see why its necessary. Updates went well after I connected a power cord though, much much faster than in any other RPM distro I've tried.

I'm using the KDE 4 desktop, which looks nice (and I actually like the feel of QT now), but it is strange having to use Firefox as a GTK application, none of the widgets match the rest of my desktop. Firefox scrolling is much smoother than it is in Ubuntu though, and the fonts are far far more clear.

Kopete is unbearable, every time I receive a message an enormous popup in the middle of the screen tells me about it, if I receive a few messages within about a minute my screen gets completely taken over by them. It does this even though I've told it not to in the notifications menu. I can't turn the incoming message sounds off either.

The volume/brightness/wifi/media keys on my laptop haven't been automatically mapped, which is quite annoying.

Its much better, but still hasn't sold itself to me.

All KD4 problems indeed.

Flash is installed by default in openSuSE, so there is no need for firefox to want to install it.

Kopete is configurable, and it is an option to have pop ups.

The updater on battery power is also an option and a good default, it can be changed with a simple right click, configure updater. You uncheck the option to not update while on battery. You can also have it show updates from third party repos.

I realize you are not used to having options, and the ability to change things in gnome, but in KDE everything can be changed, KDE4 is of course flaky and I don't recommend it.

Saying openSuSE isn't for you because you choose a buggy interface isn't really about openSUSE, but about KDE4.

Use gnome, KDE3, XFCE...............and you will see it is an outstanding distribution.

Load any other distro with KDE4 and you will experience the same things you did in openSUSE.

All KD4 problems indeed.

Flash is installed by default in openSuSE, so there is no need for firefox to want to install it.

Kopete is configurable, and it is an option to have pop ups.

The updater on battery power is also an option and a good default, it can be changed with a simple right click, configure updater. You uncheck the option to not update while on battery. You can also have it show updates from third party repos.

I realize you are not used to having options, and the ability to change things in gnome, but in KDE everything can be changed, KDE4 is of course flaky and I don't recommend it.

Saying openSuSE isn't for you because you choose a buggy interface isn't really about openSUSE, but about KDE4.

Use gnome, KDE3, XFCE...............and you will see it is an outstanding distribution.

Load any other distro with KDE4 and you will experience the same things you did in openSUSE.

I don't doubt it, I will certainly be giving the GNOME version a spin in the next few weeks.

I tried Gnome, KDE4, and KDE3 on Suse, and I liked KDE3 the most because of its flexibility. However, I also liked Gnome too, due to its simplicity.

The only problem I have with Gnome on Suse 11 is that I can't change the menu to the older style. I absolutely despise the new menu. It makes me sick just looking at it, and there was no apparent way to change it back.

Edited by brandon