Change Mode

Dual Monitors Trouble

Hey guys, I have a dual monitor setup with dual video cards that are equivalent to an 8600GT, I was told that I have to turn SLI off to run two monitors, I was running into an issue where if I play a video game on one screen, say the left one, the right screen shifts over about halfway. Any idea what I might be able to do to still use both screens, to maybe watch a video or something on the right one?

You might need to set them up so they'll be separate instead of one big monitor

Originally I had them set up in SLI but it would only display a visual on one screen, when I disabled SLI it displayed a visual on both screens, but when I try to play on one, the second screen shifts over.

Dual monitors and SLI don't work. The only way to use two monitors as you found out is to disab;e SLI. When you want to play a game or some other app that uses SLI you need to re-enable it.

Only work around that I ahve seen for dual monitor and SLI (that is having the second monitor on all the time), is to use a third video card (plain old PCI card will do if you have a free slot),

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=6269

One thing if you are running Vista, you can not mix cards (ATI/Nvidia and vice versa) as Vista will not allow the drivers for different cards to run at the same time,

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/displ...timonVista.mspx

Multimonitor Support before WDDM

Although Windows NT 4.0 did not have native multi-monitor support in the operating system, graphics hardware vendors could incorporate some level of support through their customized graphics drivers, software utilities, or both.

Windows 2000 provided some native support for management of multiple displays to present the desktop. Windows XP took this a step further through the Windows XP Display Driver Model (XPDM) to support multiple graphics cards natively and provided the hardware vendors with the proper means to offer support in their drivers.

Multimonitor Support in WDDM

On Windows Vista, older XPDM drivers still work and the multi-monitor behavior with XPDM drivers hasn't changed, because the operating system uses the legacy graphics stack.

However, the Windows Vista Display Driver Model (WDDM) brings fundamental changes to the management of multiple graphics adapters and external displays. This includes a new restriction, because WDDM drivers do not support "heterogeneous multi-adapter" multi-monitor implementations. Specifically:

All graphics adapters in a system must use the same display driver model. That is, all of them should either be running XPDM or WDDM. The driver models are mutually exclusive, and Windows Vista does not allow the simultaneous loading of both an XPDM driver and a WDDM driver.

If a system has one graphics adapter with a XPDM driver and another with a WDDM driver, then Windows Vista will choose the POST device, which is the one with VGA resources. This is commonly referred to as the "VGA adapter."

If multiple graphics adapters are present in a system, all of them must use the same WDDM driver. If there are two graphics adapters with WDDM drivers from two different manufacturers, then Windows will disable one of them. The VGA adapter will be enabled, and the second device will be disabled.

Its weird because I can play two movies at once at full size on each screen, however it seems that when I play video games, the shifting begans, I placed the movie in between both of my monitors and started the game so the movie would shift over to the center of the second screen and the centering worked, but I can see the graphics of one or the other, being the video game or the movie, only one at a time. Lame! The first tutorial requires non Nvidia cards, which I dont have, and the second is for Vista, I have XP, so I guess I just can't. Darn.

Edited by TheKastOne