Sign in to follow this  
law9933

OverDrive

What is your problem with OverDrive?

It lists way more information in an easier to access format than the previous full tests. I don't see how whether or not anyone responds is related to which test results are posted.

I do not find a statement about Optimize causing any problems:

I have bought and ran Optimizer 2.01 several times but the tests results continue to fail in everything from IE cache to the end of the list and comp. only rates on top 43%, why Optimizer is not improving my speed or performance?

The problems on the computer in the topic referenced are not from using Optimize. The user purchased Optimize to fix the problems, but did not read either the test results or the Optimize FAQ's or documentation as the bulk of the items listed in the OverDrive recommended fixes are not listed as items fixed by Optimize.

thia.JPG

http://www.pcpitstop.com/faq/optimize.asp

Usually a program tells you after a test, your PC is a mess. Buy it & all will be well. I just think the results after using Optimize/Overdrive can be extreme looking. (all bad) The 12 vicious looking red Xs after using Optimize in our topic seems scary, I would think.

" I don't see how whether or not anyone responds is related to which test results are posted."

I did not see a notice of TechExpress making the change or any time to pre-try Overdrive. Of course I can only try to help a little now & then as a nonpro (a nobody), but it is sooo different. Other than HJT a basic post seems to get more responses in two days, before?

"I do not find a statement about Optimize causing any problems:"

There was no statement of problems before using, only wanting to improve the PC.

But after use, it was stated could barely get IE to work. (just my thought at the time)

Sorry, I just hate change & surprises.

I agree. Change can get messy and spawn growing pains.

I don't like to see you underestimate how much you help around here. You are definitely a valuable asset to PC Pitstop and much appreciated. Hopefully once you get used to OverDrive it will be like using the former full test.

Just like the predecessor, each of OverDrive's Recommended Fixes in the first page of the test results is a clickable link that will open a page with specific suggestions how to resolve each issue.

I guess we didn't do a very good job of announcing, but there has been advanced notice that OverDrive was coming:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=153427

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showtopic=153421

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/04/25/april-newsletter-2/

I guess we didn't do a very good job of announcing, but there has been advanced notice that OverDrive was coming:

We knew it was coming. But we didn't know it would be so crappy. :hammer: It's like Vista; lots of problems and no solutions because the higher ups like the money it generates no matter how difficult it is for the "little guy". Yep, I have strong feelings about it. :angry: If it had changed for the better do you really think there would still be so many user problems? I think not. Bring back the old tests permanently and just add in the necessary stuff for Vista. :tup:

We knew it was coming. But we didn't know it would be so crappy. :hammer: It's like Vista; lots of problems and no solutions because the higher ups like the money it generates no matter how difficult it is for the "little guy". Yep, I have strong feelings about it. :angry: If it had changed for the better do you really think there would still be so many user problems? I think not. Bring back the old tests permanently and just add in the necessary stuff for Vista. :tup:

Strong feelings are no substitute for facts. I don't see these chronic user problems you are refering to. Where are you seeing them? There are 34,500+ OverDrive scans run a day. Every day. I see fewer than two dozen posts a week from users who are having trouble with the test. Do the math.

What is there about OverDrive that you find to be so crappy? Cute word but not very constructive as far as criticism. If you are actually interested in improving the test, then specifics would be helpful. I use it everyday to troubleshoot issues our users and customers bring to us. It didn't take long once it was out of beta to find what needed improving, and that will be forthcoming soon, but so far it has been details such as the hard drive model name or the PC Pitstop Utility version that have been missing.

If you want to help with pointing out deficiencies, great. If you are only interested in disparaging the 'higher ups' that have both created and funded and continue to create and fund a myriad of free services known as PC Pitstop, I will not be replying.

Cute word? :lol:

craplets (Cute word) :rolleyes:

The posters problem seems to have started with Optimizer & is going down hill from there. She even started a new topic about giving up (on OverDrive/Optimizer).

XP should be able to do the normal functions with 447MB of memory. Why a nasty looking red X instead of a yellow one.

I did not see where OverDrive lists the AV & antispyware programs that are used. ??? The old test had them listed separate.

The old test listed what is running, does the new one?

The old test listed the running programs that were safe to shut down, does the new one?

"Craplets" should they always be removed?

How good is the malware scan, I feel the other popular ones would still need to be used (in SM).

Browser Cache Overflow seems to need a better explanation on how to fix it.

The test asks type of internet connection (dial up), then gives me a scary red X that I check.

As I understand the fix should only be for DSL or Broadband, if that is even clear.

Just thoughts-good or wrong.

Edited by law9933

I dont like Overdrive either, but I've never posted to that effect so I dont think the number of posted complaints are any guide as to its popularity.

If you guys are so confident about the new format why not run a poll and see what comes out of that?

The posters problem seems to have started with Optimizer & is going down hill from there. She even started a new topic about giving up (on OverDrive/Optimizer).

That's not how I read it. I read that the user states they had these problems and purchased Optimize to fix them. As the recommended fixes for the user's issues do not promote or recommend Optimize as a fix, the expectation that it would do so is bound to lead to disappointment. As to the OverDrive results, the user needs assistance in trying to carry out the suggestions for resolving each issue. I have tried to help in both the PC Pitstop help desk and in the forum, but I do not see this user following even basic instructions to help us help them.

1) XP should be able to do the normal functions with 447MB of memory. Why a nasty looking red X instead of a yellow one.

The PC Pitstop minimum memory recommendation for XP is 512MB of memory available for Windows. Everybody has their own recommendation for memory. That's ours. XP only requires 64MB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

2) I did not see where OverDrive lists the AV & antispyware programs that are used. ??? The old test had them listed separate.

That is in the same place as the old test: Software tab>Installed Programs.

3) The old test listed what is running, does the new one?

Yes, Software tab>Processes

4) The old test listed the running programs that were safe to shut down, does the new one?

Yes, with an additional orange color for the programs PC Pitstop recommends to disable.

5) "Craplets" should they always be removed?

Nothing is removed. The recommendation for craplets is to remove them from startup, not remove them from the computer. If it turns out that the program is never used and not missed, then the user can uninstall, if they prefer. To answer the question, yes, the PC Pitstop recommendation is that they should always be removed from starting with Windows. If the user wants or needs to use the craplet, it can be started manually.

6) How good is the malware scan, I feel the other popular ones would still need to be used (in SM).

As good as it can be in 2 seconds. It hits the memory and running programs. If something is detected, a deeper scan is called for. It is a diagnostic, not a substitute for antimalware software.

7) Browser Cache Overflow seems to need a better explanation on how to fix it.

What would you like to see there to improve that tip?

8) The test asks type of internet connection (dial up), then gives me a scary red X that I check.

As I understand the fix should only be for DSL or Broadband, if that is even clear.

Can you please copy and paste the URL for that tip page so I can get a look at the details?

9) Just thoughts-good or wrong.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Much appreciated.

"That is in the same place as the old test: Software tab>Installed Programs"

Yes, but the old test had a list of only the installed antimalware programs,convienent

What is the difference between orange color coded unnecessary startup programs & craplets?

"Yes, Software tab>Processes "

I didn't notice the second row of tabs, that is a help. (so I had not see the color indicators) What else might be there & I just don't know it. Maybe I need a course on how to read the test results. (as compared to the old test)

"Can you please copy and paste the URL for that tip page so I can get a look at the details? "

I just noticed The statement that the solution is not for dialup.(still have the X)

http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/tips/IntS...ort=Performance

Hello Law9933,

I have been gone a long time, as most know, and I just now saw this post. It sure is a very different ( PcPitStop Test ) than the old test we all knew and loved.

The new test sure is way different. I guess we all have to adapt to it.

I can see how Vista OS has made this change happen.

I don't like the new interface either, however, I have very little free time to mess with it.

I hope we all can adjust to it. IntelGuy is trying to guide us in this change in a appropriate manner though.

I, like others, wish we could have the old test along with the new one. :geezer:

Wademan

I used Optimize and my score didn't change. I think it went down due to resources being used.

My Opinion - I just don't like the Top or Bottom words. Just tell me my precentage. Also, instead of just reccommending to buy the Driver program, give helpfull tips on how to find the drivers on your own. HP still had the older drivers and I had to go to Intel/Realtek instead, but I can see where people would get confused.

This is a reformatted machine, so I was just trying to improve performance. I haven't looked at other tests trying to help someone with a problem, yet.

If you are only interested in disparaging the 'higher ups' that have both created and funded and continue to create and fund a myriad of free services known as PC Pitstop, I will not be replying.

That was not my only interest, and I do not expect a reply about it. I have a right to my opinion too and I posted it. I see others have also. :tup:

Ok, my 2 cents.

Very busy. A much larger portion of the screen is NOT dedicated to what you are looking for:

Oringinal: Clean, easy to find what you are looking for ...

Posted Image ... Posted Image

New: Which button do I click first?? Over 50% of screen has very little to do with what I'm looking for. Not sure what top tabs will contain ...

Posted Image ... Posted Image

It is understandable that with a free service one would expect a large amount of advertisment. This is a big adjustment IMO from what has been used in the past. Basically the same test, but seemingly a very busy GUI mostly due to the 33% dedication to advertising on the right hand side of the screen, and the lack of utilizing the entire screen width (note the darker borders on either side). All in all, gives me a "cramped" feeling.

On a personal note I have about 35 tests saved over a long period of time. Many times I have gone through and deleted any that were redundant. I do not use this test for professional purposes, only for comparison contrast assisting in new builds and/or repairs. IMO, the average user only uses the test once, twice maybe three times. I am certainly not the average user considering the inordinate number of hardware upgrades I do on average. If the maximum tests allowed for a free membership is 10, I will most likely trim my results to that figure, or less losing a large portion of historical comparison benchmarks of which would be unfortunate.

My recommendation for a fix would be to address the warning logic about system restore size.

I think the average size of drives may be higher than stated, however if this is not the case, try benchmarking against a relative percentage of drive space.

I have my system restore set almost to minimum (1%) and due to my drive size this is still almost 6000 MB- Would I like to have this space back? Sure, but unless I take the time to look up the setting in my registry my choice is 200MB (two or three points), or 6000MB.

I can't say I love the new layout, but after playing a little bit, it does provide more information than before.

It's a good start but could definitely benefit from continued tuning.

edit: system resort/system restore, with Windows it's about the same thing.

Edited by FrankenBox

I dont like Overdrive either, but I've never posted to that effect so I dont think the number of posted complaints are any guide as to its popularity.

If you guys are so confident about the new format why not run a poll and see what comes out of that?

Excellent statement, and excellent idea. :clap:

So how about it? :)

Neither do I.

I think Paul442 said it well. The old page was easy to read, easy to find the information and well laid out.

The new "overdrive" page is poorly designed, cramped, and the information isn't presented nearly as well as the old page.

When an admin, has to explain to people where the information is and how to view it, then the designer needs to step back and try to look at things from the average users view point.

More may well be better, but it isn't when it is presented poorly.

Excellent statement, and excellent idea. :clap:

So how about it? :)

:rolleyes: Please don't ignore us. :)

When I first found PcPitStop, it was a very confusing hard to interprete, but very informative site!!! Now being here for years...it is the same all over again...BUT...I am sure with a little time and effort, we can all get accustomed to the new layout and benifit from it's changes/additions!

I for one will start all over, and will attempt to get reaquainted with PcPitStop! I love this free service to help me gauge how my system is running and keeping up with the Jones'!!! hehe

Edited by dthurner10

The only issue I have with OverDrive is the layout. While I think the old layout was more than sufficient, times change, and so does software, but I definitely think the new layout is a bit harder to navigate.

I think "sucks", and "crappy" are strong words, as the only real problem is the layout. It's basically the same exact thing as the old test, but with a more updated feel to it.

Tea: Don't ignore the precious. The precious! $10 for anyone who sees the Lord of the Rings reference in that.

Please keep the constructive comments coming. We're listening!

It's not just the overdrive test,the pitstop site is starting to look like a badware site.Those flash widgets that crash some web browsers don't help.