Sign in to follow this  
jgurule

No Video Output

I’m having problems with the video out on my computer. I can't figure out why when i turn the computer on it does not display anything; the LCD light remains amber and never goes green. I've tried disconnecting everything from the mother board and i also purchased a PCI video card and still nothing... any suggestions?

whats the computer specs?

CPU:

Video Card:

Motherboard:

RAM:

Power Supply:

Or just the model #.

the model number is an a705w hp pavilion... i don't have any more info on the thing. sorry it took so long for me to respond i reformatted my laptop.

Do you have another pc you can test the monitor with, just to rule that out as the problem? Or another monitor you can try on yours?

the monitor is working... the monitor works with another pc... when i boot up the pc, there are no beeps or any other indication there's a problem.

What i've done is remove the ram, disconnect the hard drive, tried a pci video card as the one it's using on the motherboard... i'm starting to think it's a motherboard problem... do you all know where to get quality parts?

i thought it could a boot up problem but i'm starting to second guess that idea.

Don't give up on the board yet. Is there a Radio Shack or Best Buy nearby? Pull the motherboard battery and get a new one. Check that the fans on the power supply are spinning. Could be a bad PSU. HPs are noted for having the bare minimum power to run what's there. Adding more components could push it over the limit.

forgot to mention i pulled the power supply and installed another one, it still didn't work. i've had the computer sitting there for a few months, and i cant think of much else to do with it.

Try a new battery. Only a couple $$. Cheaper than a board. :)

Your specs show it to be a MSI motherboard, and they are a good brand.

Motherboard

MSI name: MS-6577 v.3x ATX

Edited by dickster

Have you disabled the onboard video controller in your BIOS? If not, you will effectively running a dual monitor machine, and the onboard controller will try to be the primary - you won't see anything unless you plug into the onboard jack.

If not that, try what dickster says - it's most likely just a power issue.

i cant get into the bios because i don't get any video out, unless there's a way to disable it via the motherboard.

Have you at least tried pulling the battery for a few minutes. That would reset the cmos which might allow it to boot. Too lazy to look back and see if you did that. :)

no dice on the battery... i pulled it for 10 min and verified voltage... batterys good. it does seem like i'm not getting any power out from the 15pin D conector

You sure the PSU is good? It does sound power related.

The PSU might read as good, but might not have the necessary capacity to run all the hardware, especially with newer graphics cards.