Change Mode

Tick bite

lilbill08

This is pretty weird... I got bit by a tick about two months ago. The bite bump is STILL there, and still itches! I got tested for Lymes, and came back neg. (I'm actually going to get a test done again to be safe). Any idea why a tick bite would not go away?

This is pretty weird... I got bit by a tick about two months ago. The bite bump is STILL there, and still itches! I got tested for Lymes, and came back neg. (I'm actually going to get a test done again to be safe). Any idea why a tick bite would not go away?

While removing the tick, the tick's head might have separated from its body and left parts of its mouth in your skin.

Ticks head can be so small that it will be hard to see them and this makes it hard to tell if you have removed the tick's head.

Down here we've told people before to paint the area with finger nail polish to cut off the air supply....

Start rubbing it down with alcohol, hydrocoritzone and neosporin cream.

Contrary to some traditional methods and believes, after the tick is removed; washing the area of the bite with soap and water or an antiseptic is the recommended approach. Applying fingernail polish, rubbing alcohol, etc. may help transmitting more infectious agents.

I don't think the nail polish & alochol will transmit infectious agents. It's because it will irritate the skin, and possibly make the problem even worse due to the irritation.

And the best way to remove a tick is to apply a hot match to it. Then it will just fall out. If you cut off its air supply, it can die while still embedded in your skin. Edit: CDC says I was wrong about the match bit, and I tend to believe them.

Edited by brandon

I don't think the nail polish & alochol will transmit infectious agents. It's because it will irritate the skin, and possibly make the problem even worse due to the irritation.

And the best way to remove a tick is to apply a hot match to it. Then it will just fall out. If you cut off its air supply, it can die while still embedded in your skin. Edit: CDC says I was wrong about the match bit, and I tend to believe them.

If you consult an experienced medical doctor you will be advice to remove the tick with rounded tweezers by grabbing the tick as close as possible to the skin surface, and then pulling it with slow steady pressure away from the skin. Making sure not to crush or squeeze the body of the tick, because fluid forced out of the tick may contain infectious agents.

Like I said before, applying fingernail polish, rubbing alcohol, or a hot match head to the tick, will not help detaching the tick but it may induce the tick to salivate or regurgitate into the wound, as a result infectious agents have a greater chance to get into your body.

Most ticks do not carry diseases, and usually tick bites do not cause serious health problems but the method of removing the tick might increase the chances of getting infection and diseases.