I just had a Dell Inspiron 8200 given to me. The person said I can have it, but it won't connect to the internet. I have tried everything that I can think of, but to no avail. It is hooked up to a Linksys router and says it is connected. I have 2 other computers hooked up to the same router as well. One wired one wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just had a Dell Inspiron 8200 given to me. The person said I can have it, but it won't connect to the internet. I have tried everything that I can think of, but to no avail. It is hooked up to a Linksys router and says it is connected. I have 2 other computers hooked up to the same router as well. One wired one wireless. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

is this computer hard wired to the router as well? and if it wont go, then most likely the ethernet port in the back is dead or you need to install the driver for it.

Also, make sure it has an IP address and isnt getting blocked by the router, but first check for an ip address, dont worry to much about the router.

Knowing what you have tried would be nice.

If you have IE, then try installing Firefox.

Try Safe Mode with Networking to try & connect to a safe site.

Run SUPERAntispyware & your AV in Safe Mode.

It was able to connect when he had it, but stopped working at some point. It is hard wired, and I have tried the safemode options, but still nothing. I am running IE and I would run Firefox but can't connect to get it. Also there is no AV or spyware or firewall present. AS for the IP address Im not sure what you mean. It is set to autodetect.

OK. I don't have Diagnose Connection Problems under the tools drop down. I clicked on the repair in network and got this message. "The following steps of the repair operation failed: Renewing the IP address."

then the IP address isnt getting issued to it. Try setting your own IP address.

try setting your IP address to something like 192.168.1.105

I've tried different IP address' but none of them work. I have downloaded and installed new drivers, and installed Firefox. None of it works. I'm still thinking about re-formating the hard drive, will the re-installation disk work for that? Also don't know how to re-format.