Sign in to follow this  
mesmd

SP3 FOR XP

Hi,

I've heard of too many problems with the installation of SP3. I selectively use the M$ updates. My questions are:

1) Can I just forget about and not use SP3 for my home XP OS?

2) If I do not install SP3, will I still be able to use the continuous upgrades made available by M$?

Thank you very much for your thoughts,

Sincerely,

Miles

PS I am an owner of Optimize ver 1.0, AVG 8.0, and use many regularly scheduled malware scanners, registry optimizers-defragers and HD performance enhancers.

Many people are still having problems. According to this article you have a 1 in 4 chance of having problems.

http://techtalk.pcpitstop.com/2008/05/27/w...survey-results/

Mark

With respect to those surveyed, I wonder how many of them followed the instalation advice on Ms website or just allowed trhe automatic update to run?

How many had a problem already, may not have noticed it, now IE freezes and it's SP3 fault?

And then theres the "sheep" who will just have a bash at MS because they can.

I have installed SP3 on several machines now with no issues (over 10).

Before you install:

• Complete a full virus scan and malware scan, don't just assume you are clear because you don't get pop ups
  • Run a defrag on all drives, even if it says it's not necessary
You should be ok to install.

I know that's not perfect and we should be able to let automatic updates be automatic, but that's how it is.

I installed it on 4 machines with no problems and as the article says, 3 in 4 will not have problems. But the ones that do have problems can have severe problems.

It's best to research SP3 thoroughly before installing or be prepared to reformat. I made an image of my system before I installed.

Mark

Depends on how bad you need what is in the upgrade. I had no problems installing it, but since I run a machine that depends on a lot of legacy apps from older windows OS' and some old DOS code I ran into problems with the new service pack rendering those useless.

You may find certain changes to settings and the way things are layed out that you may not like. It's more a question of do you really want it rather than do you really need it.

It is no wonder that Mac commercials are able to successfully mock MS operating systems. Why does something like updating the operating system take so much work and why is the actual process of updating so complicated that one has to worry about having to reformat the HD if the installation does not work? I, for one, will not be updating to Sp3 and my next computer may very well be a Mac.

It is no wonder that Mac commercials are able to successfully mock MS operating systems. Why does something like updating the operating system take so much work and why is the actual process of updating so complicated that one has to worry about having to reformat the HD if the installation does not work? I, for one, will not be updating to Sp3 and my next computer may very well be a Mac.

I do not know anything about MACS but:

MAC OS X release

200 bugs to fix :pullhair:

I think Linux could be the next option :lol:

[*]Run a defrag on all drives, even if it says it's not necessary

You should be ok to install.

I know that's not perfect and we should be able to let automatic updates be automatic, but that's how it is.

I have a question about this step. I have windows XP Media and I have a second drive but it's stuff that microsoft put in there and I store nothing on it. I forget what was on it, but I don't think I can defrag this drive. Would that matter? Thanks.

Dawn