Sign in to follow this  
jtuck68

Deleting file fragments

Now that Disk DM has completed about six passes, I still have "challenges": How do I delete file fragments for such files as C:\$MFT with 731 fragments (about 108 Mb) and C:\ with 153 fragments (about 43 Mb)? And four more C:\ zero byte files with average of 145 fragments each.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

I was about to ask the same thing.... I've bought disk MD specifically because I have 30% data fragmentation and windows defragger wouldn't fix it.... So after seeing the sales pitch for disk MD saying it would fix this I bought it.. Lo and behold it's still the same after about 20 runs.. I kinda feel cheated. I've closed every application i can and even run it in safe mode but it's still the same.. can anyone help.. Dunno if my tech express results help at all but here they are:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=BN44TWVA87GS7V89

thank you in advance.. incidently I'm not a new user but i did forget my forum log in name :-)

oh.. and I have to say that my disk score has gone from 55 before my runs of disk MD to 36 now, not exactly what i was hoping for for my money...

I was about to ask the same thing.... I've bought disk MD specifically because I have 30% data fragmentation and windows defragger wouldn't fix it.... So after seeing the sales pitch for disk MD saying it would fix this I bought it.. Lo and behold it's still the same after about 20 runs.. I kinda feel cheated. I've closed every application i can and even run it in safe mode but it's still the same.. can anyone help.. Dunno if my tech express results help at all but here they are:

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=BN44TWVA87GS7V89

thank you in advance.. incidently I'm not a new user but i did forget my forum log in name :-)

:wp:

Your description of the issue indicates that the fragmentation is most likely in the Vista restore points.

You can either run Windows Disk Cleanup and delete all but the last restore point, or turn off System Restore, defrag, then turn System Restore back on (and be sure to manually create a new restore point in Vista) and you should see great improvement.

We have dropped Vista restore points from DiskMD 2.0. The problem is that the amount of space Vista allocates for system restore ends up with several restore points in the 10-16 GB size, or larger. It can take a considerable amount of time, often an hour or more, to chug through a single file that large. When there are three or four of them, the program appears to be 'hung'. Also, when it takes an extended period to run through the restore files, Vista will go ahead and 'relock' the files after DiskMD had unlocked them. We want DiskMD to be relatively quick to run, so Vista restore points, although reported, are not defragged.

Our software comes with a 30-day 100% satisfaction money-back guarantee. If you are not satisfied with your purchase or how the program works, just let us know and your money will be refunded.

Now that Disk DM has completed about six passes, I still have "challenges": How do I delete file fragments for such files as C:\$MFT with 731 fragments (about 108 Mb) and C:\ with 153 fragments (about 43 Mb)? And four more C:\ zero byte files with average of 145 fragments each.

:wp:

Generally, files in the Master File Table ($MFT) that are fragmented may be a sign that repairs have been done by scandisk. The MFT also can not be defragged when in use, and although DiskMD can report the fragmentation, it does not do offline defragging.

Try running DiskMD from Safe Mode and see if the situation improves. Also, try running Windows Disk cleanup from Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Disk Cleanup, and then click the 'More Options' tab to delete all but the most recent restore point, if you do not need them.

Once Disk Cleanup finishes, open Computer then right-click the Local Drive C:\ and select Properties>Tools>Error Checking>Check Now> put a checkmark in both boxes, click Start, then reboot. Once error-checking completes, try running DiskMD again and see if there is any improvement.

thank you Intel Guy :-)

I did just as you suggested and it's much better... however there is one file I am having trouble with which i can't find anywhere and it's the one that's most fragmented of course..

this is it:

C:\$Extend\$UsnJrnl:$J:$DATA

have you any idea what I can do about this please??

and lol no I shan't be asking for a refund I'm quite happy to keep the program because I'm sure it's great and the problem lies with my naiveness not your software ;-)

The intent of this reply is to close my original post. After beneficial advice from IntelGuy about my needing a defragger that will work during the boot-time operations, I tried using Disk MD in the Safe Mode. Unfortunately Disk MD is not user-friendly in the Safe Mode, i.e., you cannot see the "commands" at the bottom of the screen, such as "next>", "results", and "finish". I researched the Microsoft KB about boot-time defragging of the MFT, etc., and researched download sites, trying several products. I found that Diskeeper would do the boot-time defragging, reducing my 743 fragments of $MFT to three on the first try.

JT - Army Strong