Sign in to follow this  
hayezy

Trying to replace Vista with XP

Hey all AGAIN!! :(

Basically i have become tired with vista and all it's problems and am thinking of returning to windows xp service pack 1 i have the disc from my old pc from a few years back but when i boot from cd it starts fine loads a few things ready for setup and then gives me a blue screen which i dont get time to read, then it shuts down.

Why is this, because my pc came with vista or because its service pack 1 (which i would obviously upgrade later on) i cant work out why it isnt working i have 32 bit vista home basic if that makes any difference.

Cheers.

If the cd came with another computer it might be bios locked to the old computer. The blue screen maybe telling you that the computer your trying to load it on is not the right brand. If the computer your trying to install on is an off the shelf computer you will need more than an XP cd for it to run XP you will also need drivers for all your hardware from the computer mnaufacturer web site.

There is no branding on the cd its just says windows xp proffessional

Sorry for the misunderstanding if the disk came with an off the shelf computer like HP or some other brand it might be bios locked through software on the disk. It wouldn't have to be branded on the disk.

When you started to install the older OS, did you use the basic (express) mode, or the advanced mode?

If the disc was not bios locked as Mouse suggests, then you may want to use the advanced mode so that you can format the partition and clear out the Vista installation.

CAUTION: You will loose the data on that partition, so ensure that you have backed up all documents and media you wish to save. You will also have to reinstall all software regardless of whether you have saved data and settings from it. You may know that already, but fair warning.

In the installation you will have the option to clear and reformat the drive. Do so and the XP installation should go along smoothly enough, sans whatever OEM drivers are required.

Basically i have become tired with vista and all it's problems

What problems are you having with Vista??

The speed, keeps freezing the supposed better security is bs to say the least and i think its an absolute rip off for what is essentially an os that is worse than xp for a lot more money imo.

Guest dwfinch

Hey hayezy!

You should run a pit test and post it so we can take a look at it, and possibly help! I know a lot of people have had a bunch of problems with Vista, but I've been running Vista for quite a while now, with no problems at all. MS has always had a bunch of unneeded junk starting up at boot, in most all of there OS's

Plus security wise, most people just shut off Windows Security, and use a third party AV and Firewall.

There are also website out there like this one >>Vista Tweaking Guide<<, that can help you make Vista run how you want it to.

Try the Vista tweaks first, if you still are not satisfied open up your bios on start up (one of the F# keys will be indicated on the splash screen) and ensure that boot from CD is the first boot option. If you have an XP disc that can be installed, there is no reason that I can think of that it should not be able to replace a Vista installation. The basic installation does not require an internet connection, hence no way for the machine to know whether the copy of XP you have is already in use or not - incidentally, that doesn't really matter as long as you are not running the same XP on several machines simultaneously.

Every XP installation process I know of allows you to clear and format your drives before proceeding.

If Vista has some sort of protection against this, you should at least be able to create a boot disk with one of the Vista utilities to let you boot into a rudimentary command prompt at which point you would be able to manually format.

That said, if you cannot tweak Vista too your liking the manual method is an option we can walk you through. We should see a Tech Express post however, so that we know what we are dealing with.

I haven't tryed vista tweaks becase i've had enough and i am defnitely going back to xp but it is still coming up blue screen error, i am trying to put it on a freshly formatted portion of the hard drive in a partition but it doesn't let me get that far to choose that option.

Guest dwfinch

Ok hayezy!

So your not going back to Vista, and thats just fine! But we are all working in the dark here!

A pitstop test, with your Vista computer would be very helpful! This is very important, because you've said that you are having freezes, and lock-up's, which could be some faulty hardware. (memory/hard drive/heat issues), But we can't see that without a test being posted.

The XP pro CD....Did it come with your last computer? Or did you buy it separately?

What is the Make/Model/Brand, of this PC that has Vista loaded on it?

Check the disk over carefully if has scratches that could also cause problems trying to get it to install. If there are scratches and they aren't too deep you can repair them. To repair minor scratches on a cd:

1. run warm not hot water over the disk

2. gently rub the disk with toothpaste with your finger (be sure to rub from center of the disk to the edge)

3. rinse the disk with warm water

4. dry with a soft lint free cloth not paper towel

5. let sit with shiny side up for a couple of hours to be sure the disk is dry.

If the disk is clean and scratch free, the next thing I'm wondering about the possibility of a memory problem. Sounds like there is not enough functional memory for XP to load.

Even with a scratched disk, I have never had problems with BSOD right from the start.

If the memory is not bad you can try the following: Boot down, disconnect all power cords or batteries, depress the power button for a few seconds to drain any residual charge from the board.

What I am suspecting is the possibility of a hung thread. Your memory is not clearing it during a normal power up cycle, and so there is not enough room for windows to load.

Once the memory is cleared you should definitely be able to load XP. If you have enough memory to run Vista, then XP will easily fit.

Guest dwfinch

If you suspect the memory, then he may have to disable Super PreFetch, which stores a lot of info in memory during shutdown.

Just a thought.

A scratch or scratches can cause some strange behavior depending on where the scratches are localed on the disk :cr@sh: Personally I think it's a disk that is bios locked to another computer that will throw up a blue screen with information saying not the correct computer which might flash by too fast to read :hammer:

Guest dwfinch

Well...until he gives up some more info, my money's on the bios locked CD!

Ok i am running the performance test bearing in mind last week i had to take out 1gb of my ram because it was causing crashes and lock ups. i had the same problems before and after the ram was taken out by the way.

Well then we are more likely getting down to a faulty or locked disc...

I ran the full test and am on the results page, how do i share them lol

what did ya do?

is it illegal? :lol: