Change Mode

I just purchased a camera card reader. This reader is a sandisk reader that connects via USb and reads, CF I and II cards, as well as MSProDuo, SDHC, and MMC cards. When connected, two different drives appear in my computer, they are removable disk E and F. I have an SD card for my camera. I would like to know how you safely remove an SD card from a card reader?

I have a similar reader producing 4 extra drives, you do not use the safely remove route with this as it will literally remove the card reader itself until next boot when it will be picked up again.

To do it with this you simply wait for a short while after doing the last action and make certain the light has stopped flashing, if it has it is safe to remove the card, if the light is on or flashing then do NOT remove the card or you could suffer data loss, but as long as the light is off it's quite safe.

I just pull mine straight out. Never done any harm to anything yet. I'm a little surprised it only shows 2 removable drives, I thought each slot was represented by its own removable drive. But then yours is probably newer technology than mine.

I have a similar reader producing 4 extra drives, you do not use the safely remove route with this as it will literally remove the card reader itself until next boot when it will be picked up again.

To do it with this you simply wait for a short while after doing the last action and make certain the light has stopped flashing, if it has it is safe to remove the card, if the light is on or flashing then do NOT remove the card or you could suffer data loss, but as long as the light is off it's quite safe.

My old reader, I simply removed the card when the light was not flashing, however on my new reader, it doesn't seem to like it when I just "pull the card out" I can right click on the reader and click on eject, does that really do anything?

TBH I have never come across one like that before, all I can say is try it and see, but to me the PC is confusing it with an optical drive, but you never know being a newer device it may be the way they have approached it, so give it a go and see, if it doesn't spit the dummy at you then it must be the way to do it, otherwise how long do you leave pulling the card before it doesn't like it ? maybe it hadn't quite had long enough to free it up yet perhaps ?

TBH I have never come across one like that before, all I can say is try it and see, but to me the PC is confusing it with an optical drive, but you never know being a newer device it may be the way they have approached it, so give it a go and see, if it doesn't spit the dummy at you then it must be the way to do it, otherwise how long do you leave pulling the card before it doesn't like it ? maybe it hadn't quite had long enough to free it up yet perhaps ?

If I right click on the dive and then left click on eject, that seems to work. I didn't get a manual with the reader. What does TBH stand for?

Then it sounds like your card reader has evolved to a newer probably safer method of removing the card, if you do as you describe and get no warnings about removing the card then you have just found the method to do it with that card reader, but it's a new one on me so I'll have to try and remember that one lol.

TBH = To Be Honest

Generally just pulling them out is perfectly safe no matter what state things are in. If you are transferring simple media such as documents, pictures, or music the worst that will happen is that you get a broken file in the destination location if you remove it in the middle of a transfer. If you have a running program that is pulling data from flash drive then you can get a broken thread, generate file fragmentation on your HDD, and possibly create an error in your registry (depending upon the opperation) but we all know how to correct those problems don't we? ;)

You can end up corrupting the data by doing that if it's still in use when you pull it, not quite so bad on a card maybe, but on a thumb drive you may lose stuff you can't afford to, I guess it's the same risk on a card, the images could become corrupted, it wont break the media (AFAIK), but you will lose the data as you'd need to format it to make it usable again, so it's really a bad habit to use unsafe removal methods IMHO.

The only safe way to remove a card is to "eject" it using explorer; this ensures that file activity is closed and no data will be lost or corrupted. Why risk losing any valuable files or photos?

Guess it depends on the reader. I've only used USB readers and never lost or damaged a file from the source media. Isn't USB/USB2 supposed to be safe to eject at any time by design?