Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Countrydave55

User Data Disappeared

I haven't been using VISTA so I am not sure how common or uncommon this problem is.

The computer is a Toshiba Laptop purchased 12-2-2008 for a single user. It has an AMD CPU, 2 gigs of Ram, 150 gig HD. Running with Zone alarm pro suite. No virus suspected. Vista firewall turned off.

Except that VISTA is slow there were no problems with the laptop until 09:08 yesterday morning. It isn't my computer so I haven't figured out precisely what happened. Supposedly the computer was stuck opening something and the user tried a hot reboot. When the computer re-initialized there was no data in the users configuration. The OS and most programs seem intact but everything else appears gone. Everything would be e-mail & settings, 10 gigs of jpegs, 5 gigs of music files, 4 gigs of technical correspondence. The HD shows 37 gigs utilized which seems way too little for what was there but way too much for the OS and installed programs. I ran a search for *.jpg. *.JPEG *.MP3 but no files were located.

I don't suspect a virus. Virus check runs daily and and signatures were current.

I ran restore but there were only 2 restore points. The oldest was 3 weeks ago but that didn't seem to restore anything.

I am assuming the user area of the hd (only 1 user on the computer) has been deleted or the HD is corrupt. I am looking for suggestions before I try to run data recovery programs. Obviously I don't want to do much so as to preserve the data before trying to recover it. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Howdy C'Dave!!

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions except that data recovery software.....

I do have a thought though....was Vista properly activated? If not could it be the "reduced functionality mode" that it's running in?

Other than that..... http://support.microsoft.com/ph/11732

:geezer:

Yes SP1 was out in Feb or March & I did the install then. It is original equipment ver. that came with the laptop. That is why I didn't reformat and install XP. If I recover the data I will try to install XP home. Toshiba claims that the XP doesn't have drivers to support the laptop. Guess I will find out.

Thanks.