Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

I may have found something of intrest

This is rather long but may be helpful to some.....I've searched the forum before posting this but I can't find what I was looking for...so maybe someone will remember the posts.

Someone was having a problem with multiple instances of Internet Explorer running in task manager so I followed the thread for several days because my wife's computer was doing the same thing and I posted about it too. After running numerous scans for this and that nothing came up. The problem was ...when you clicked on the IE icon on the desk top...nothing happened. So you would click it again...nothing happened. After several attempts of nothing happening, I opened task manager to find 3 or 4 IE running. You would have to end process on all of them before it would work. This along with the fact of the computer needing cleaned out....last weekend I reformated it and reinstalled XP and spent the rest of the week applying all the updates and reinstalling her software. This is when I stumbled upon what might have been causing the original problem. I downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy and installed. Now it's back to doing the multiple instances of IE running in task manager. Just to test it....I uninstalled Spybot and rebooted. Now it's running like it should be.......so just to make sure.....I installed Spybot again. Yep, clicking IE icon don't do anything untill after 3 or 4 clicks. I ended up uninstalling Spybot so now I am asking if anyone else has noticed this? The computer is a Dell 2400 with the ram maxed out at 4gb, XP Home, AVG Free 7.5, IE 6.0, Spybot Search & Destroy 1.5.2.

Spybot has alot of IE tweaks. If you set one of them, even by error, then just uninstalling it won't help completely. When you reinstall it will recognize your old setting and just put them back in again, in some if not most cases..Do a complete cleanout of it, even in the registry, under HKLM and HKLU ..Software. Then do a file search for it and get rid of all that to.

Darn!!! Wish I had seen this sooner...had the same problem and had to install IE7 to fix it.