Change Mode

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/encr...s-says-bushnell

http://www.qj.net/TPM-encryption-chip-hope...g/49/aid/120486

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trusted_Platform_Module

Atari founder Nolan Bushnell claimed that a stealth encryption chip will "absolutely stop piracy of [PC] gameplay."There is a stealth encryption chip called a TPM that is going on the motherboards of most of the computers that are coming out now,"

:clap:

i hope it takes off myself, anythings better than the problematic copy protections now or the thought of "pay as you play" maybe pc gaming could be like it used to. at least it may put some faith in publishers about continiuing to release lots of great titles for the platform.

From the little info I gathered, I oppose to it. It has to be one of the worst ideas made to date, other then a "heallthy diet" :P

Look at blizzard, they even say "pass this CD on and install it on friends computers so everyone can join the WOW revolutiton"

8 million users now. So will this TPM stuff block that?

This quote sums it up:

Bushnell needs a reality check. TPM isn't new. It's not designed for DRM (though it can be used that way, it's intended to secure encrypted files/volumes on a machine, which is why it's increasingly required for government and corporate purchases). There's nothing "stealth" about it. And it's not going to prevent piracy. Standalone games can be patched to jump around the key verification. Online games may be a little trickier -- since the server can verify that two different machines are running the same copy of a game, or that the code has been tampered with -- but that's little more than a more robust/secure version of what services like Steam are already implementing. And that's assuming TPM itself isn't compromised, which isn't a safe assumption.

But note that unless the game developer wants to restrict their market to only machines that have TPM available and enabled, they still have a huge hole in their anti-piracy system. On every machine I've seen, TPM is an option that can be disabled in the BIOS, and on many systems it's actually a separate board that can be removed without impairing the operation of the system. Right now, the vast majority of systems with an operating TPM device are corporate and government machines on which installing and playing games would result in some kind of job action. (AFAIK TPM is on all Intel Macs, but I don't know off-hand if/how easily it can be disabled.)

(TPM is essentially just a black box wherein the private keys of public-private key pairs are generated and kept, along with a unique per-machine ID. It offers secure encryption/decryption and public key verification ).

TPM won't end piracy. Piracy will never go away, and I will continue to pirate to my heart's content, just to spite people. And Bushnell is a hack. His company flopped because he didn't know how to run a business.

Edited by brandon

better than nothing. PC exclusive titles are becoming a thing of the past, no more games like Crysis pushing boundries that other platforms couldnt touch. instead multiplats will be the same with the only PC good option of being able to increase resolution and AA...wow

Publishers are fearing piracy more and more, PC titles are being released long after consoles, like mafia 2.

copy protections are preventing many people from even playing the games they bought and other problems plus not being effective.

its not about stopping piracy, wether TPM can or cant, its about thwarting it enough to make PC gaming profitable enough to put into future projects and keep PC gaming the way it used to be.

$10 million profits sounds good but not for a $30 million dollar investment. a company needs to double the investment just to make a sequal of the same budget and its not happening anymore on PC.

Mr Bushnell has been asleep at the wheel TPM has been around for years, Intel was one of the first to incorporate it

yes but the game industry has never taken advantage of it.

it wasnt even long ago when many laptops started using it for thumbscan security, lots of advantages could come of it and you can turn it off in bios.

i just want to see the chip released on more mobo's so publishers may think of using it instead of CP or no release at all.

Edited by cL1cKm3.exe

It has its bugs, but it's a very good piece of software for distributing games. There is little to no piracy with Steam. I've only used Steam once , so I had to add "little" as an insurance policy. And the source engine is getting ported to Linux, so games from big developers should be coming to Linux.

Edited by brandon

steam is pirated quite a bit, alot of steam games on torrents, pretty much all of them.

TF2 has been cracked already to run on an alternate style of steam client. It bypasses all of Steam's Piracy checks, and ID Registration

A day or two at the most any Steam game is available via bittorrent

and that tidbit is just old news. other forms are where people borrow a friends account and that is also common.

it does pretty well to keep piracy levels down compared to other methods sure. then again look at games like Sins of the solar empire or Sims, neither have copy protections and sell like crazy.

also i would assume if steam is all that and a bag of chips, more games would be on it. TPM may not be an end all but they say its impossible, either way many of the top developers like Crytek,Epic and ID are all publically saying how piracy is a very huge problem now and all of them have stated they are no longer PC exclusive if PC ever at all down the road and thats the reality were all going to live so perhaps something hardware based may entise more publishers.

either way many of the top developers like Crytek,Epic and ID are all publically saying how piracy is a very huge problem

Too bad most of them don't realize it is the crappy games they keep putting out that is more of a problem than anything. Stop making lame remakes of previous titles and they might actually sell.

Epic can cry that piracy is a problem all they want, but would you like to explain this to me,

http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?game=ut3

as of the time of posting this it is showing 810 UT3 servers with a players/slots ratio of 334 / 12,114.

The thing with Steam games is that most of the games on there (by Valve anyway) are multiplayer games. Yeah, you can go on ThePirateBay and download CSS or TF2, but you probably won't be able to play them on legit servers.

True, every once in awhile someone comes up with an exploit in Valve's validation system, and people can play the games on the legit servers for free. That usually lasts about a day.

I remember a couple years ago when someone wrote a patch for Steam that let you download (it was new back then) Condition Zero and play it on the official servers. Most of the people who used the patch got banned after a couple of days.

No matter how good or bad the games being released are, people are always going to pirate them. Game publishers need to find a good balance between decent copy protection, to stop the "casual copier", and the draconian protection (like starforce) that completely ruins the experience.

Because of piracy I am seeing fewer and fewer high quality games for PC. Things like steam are a great idea. Most games I don't need a code. Don't need to add a nocd. Also I don't ever have to worry about losing the CD.

It fixes all things I have hated about games. It does indeed have its flaws but its still WAY better then the latter.

I think programs like steam will help piracy a lot.

Loading some chip onto a motherboard won't change much. How many times have you heard they were going to stop piracy and it takes the hackers just a few days to get threw?

Ahh, the old "PC gaming is going downhill because of piracy" excuse. That's played out man. There are just as many, if not more games being made for the PC, as compared to the consoles.