Change Mode

I'm wondering if......

I can replace this big monster monitor I have with a new Flat panel and it be compatible with my 4 year old Compaq? :)

Would there be issues(hardware?) trying to use something new to an older machine?

Looking to minimize space being used.

Hey stormy, thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway to know before hand if there are any driver updates? Or would the monitor just not work?

I was looking on the Dell refurbished/scratch and dent site....So it's possible I was going with a Dell flat panel on a Compaq.

Edited by Juliet

Hey stormy, thanks for the reply.

Is there anyway to know before hand if there are any driver updates? Or would the monitor just not work?

I was looking on the Dell refurbished/scratch and dent site....So it's possible I was going with a Dell flat panel on a Compaq.

Im almost positive that brand does not matter, the inputs should fit either VGA or DVI style, one or the other, and there are adapters that will help you, i have a 2000 dell computer that runs either of my 22 inch montitors just fine and one has a VGA and other has a DVI.

Dell flat panel on a Compaq

That won't make any difference. In this case a computer is a computer and a monitor is a monitor, brand/make means nothing.

As for drivers, get the monitor, hook it up and see. It should be detected without issue. The only thing that might be a problem is if your video card doesn't support the native resolution of the monitor (still shouldn't be a problem).

What do you have for a video card now, and what is the model number of the monitor you are looking at?

good idea to set up the resolution on the old monitor for the new monitor and then shut it off and replace the monitor, your settings should be good enough so you won't run into any display problems with the new one..

ie: going from 70hz and 800 X 600 to 60hz and 1024 X 768 on the new flat panel monitor, just simplifies things for ya

Thanks TheKastOne

here are the specs for my machine

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

COMPAQ 7500 Color Monitor Color: True Color (32 Bit) Resolution: 1152 x 864

This is one I've looked at but still searching

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineSales/t...C=ALL&s=dfh

Check out the first one on this page for 149.00

From what I can see you're going to have fun getting any resolution over the one you posted. Most things I can find say one of two things; stick with what you have, or pick up a cheap video card that does support the desired resolutions.

Hopefully someone more familiar with that chipset will see this and respond.

I use a Dell S199WFP 19-inch Widescreen Black Flat Panel LCD Monitor on my IBM Xp and Compaq Vistsa

On the Hp Pavillion im using Hp Monitor Flat Screen

On the Compaq evo I use Acer Monitor Flat screen

one thing i notice with the dell flatscreen

all the letter i and l are pinkish on the forums page of pitstop

doesnt bother me

monitors can be used just about on any computer

Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller

i updated to the new version 6.14.10.4342

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/win/74280

thats the link for the graphic controller 6.14.10.4342

if you need to update

Edited by mme

That would be why your text doesn't look right. Ideally you should be running the monitor at its native resolution of 1440x900.

well that solve that

just got to make some adjustments

text is small....but ill work on it

thank you

Hey sparkles :sparkle: Your welcome :adios: