Sign in to follow this  
seremina

AVG did WHAT?

I just got AVG Free's notification that if I want my protection continued, I will have to upgrade to a non-free AVG 8.0 version. I know I was tired of AVG's reboot requirement with each update, but I wasn't asking them to dump their free protection! I'm worried now. So what do I do? Is there a resource-light free antivirus I can grab to replace it?

Its likely I'll have to replace AVG's AntiSpyware too [free version] or can that be left alone?

I'm sure others have gotten this scary notification too and they're worrying too. :(

So what do I do? Is there a resource-light free antivirus I can grab to replace it?

Avira

Here is a tutorial on it's setup and use:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/content/Se...rticles/64.html

Avast!

How to Install, Configure, and Use Avast Antivirus

Its likely I'll have to replace AVG's AntiSpyware too [free version] or can that be left alone?

If I'm correct, from what I've heard it will be incorporated into the new AVG and will no longer be a free Spyware scanner.

AntiVir is stated to be good, Avast, & I think there is still a free AVG that includes Antispyware. But a included link checker can really slow a PC, you may want to disable it. (all free)

Superantispyware, a-squared, & Spybot are good scanners. (free)

Spyware Terminater (spelling?) is active + Spyware Blaster would be good.

Thank you for the replies, everyone. I also did some research on AVG 8, since you guys cleared up its still free. The research gave me reason to believe that AVG 8 is not worth it and will frustrate you to Kingdom Come and will be resource-hoggy.

After a thorough comparison of what you wonderful people suggested, I have decided on Avast. It is practically an all-in-one. It handles viruses, spyware, rootkits, etc. I'm now in the process of uninstalling AVG's products and studying the tutorial posted for configuring Avast properly.

Thank you so much, everyone. :)

Hello all :)

I had AVG Free 7.5. I received an email inviting me to upgrade to Version 8.0.

Since then I have installed AVG 8.0, still free. It is much more comprehensive. I like it. ;)