Change Mode

Dell Inspiron 1100 bad 32k chip

gordesky1

i found this system couple months ago siting out and on the top of the lid theres a note that says bad 32k chip.

so i tried to boot it up and it came on but shut down in like 5sec so i check the memory and theres was none installed.

so im gona buy some memory tonight which is ony 21$ shipped from newegg.

but i wanted to get some options from the pit befor i do so:)

about the bad 32k chip note that they had on top of the lid.

it sounds like memory to me but not sure.

Edited by gordesky1

they had the note pasted on the top of the lcd lid case.

i was thinking about the bios tho the laptop comes on with caps light on and other lights than turns off by it self which meens it has no ram in it.

so i dont think the bios is bad if it knows the ram is not installed usely when i had a bad bio flash on one of my other desktop machines it turns on but i had to turn it off on my own whouldint do anything.

hopefully the ram will shead some light lol

ok got the memory in today and installed it now the num light and scroll locks blinks than shuts down... so atleast i know its not the bios.

than i saw in the reviews on newegg the memory i bought which is pc2700 and the dell comes with pc2100 and peaple said they couldint get theres to boot with pc2700.... tho some have.

so thats problee the problem now...

i looked up the lights stats and it pretty much comes up as memory so hopefully when i get the other memory it boots up...

but the change in lights makes me have hope for the laptop still.

Give up now... :dead-horse:

Plaintiffs also allege that Dell concealed the true defective nature of its Inspiron 1100, 1150, 5100 and 5160 notebooks, and failed to recall the notebooks or take other adequate remedial action. Instead, plaintiffs charge Dell sold and serviced Inspiron 1100, 1150, 5100 and 5160 notebooks even though it knew that the notebooks would prematurely fail.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm

im pretty sure its the memory hopefully lol

sense everywere i search for the 2 lights im geting is memory problem. and the 1100 is known to not work with anything higher than pc2100 wish i whould of read the reviews before i bought the memory...

but if it still doesint work with the pc2100 i just got off newegg.

its going right on ebay problee could get atleast 80 or 100$ for it sense it has 2 new ram sticks and a new powerbrick and seems to be a good battery.

its going right on ebay problee could get atleast 80 or 100$ for it sense it has 2 new ram sticks and a new powerbrick and seems to be a good battery.

I would not risk the bad feedback from a moron that buys it and thinks it works.

Just sell the ram and the ac adapter. Or at least state in BIG LETTERS that it has a BAD motherboard. ;)

will do:) i just hope it works before that happens tho because it makes a good portable compaired to my monster dell 9300 hehe realy dont need that kinda power when im on the road:)

Edited by gordesky1

update:)

got the new ram in today and it booted:) but showed a No timer tick interrupt

so at first i couldiint get pass it so i holded down fn and push all kind of buttons and it booted to the bios and i went in check to see if anything ok than saved and exit and now it doesint show that error no more:)

so now all i got to do is to refor

mat the hdd i put in from my old compaq that needs repair later.

doesint like the xp on it because its from compaq and drivers it blue screens when it hits winxp screen.

but im glad i got pass that timer error because in the dell doc it says replace the board... that whould of sucked if i didint get pass that lol.

i glad i didint give up on it:)

has pretty decent specs from finding it:) 2ghzs celeron and dvd cdrw combo and a good screen:)

hmm still doing the timer but i by pass it by holding the powerbutton in and it boots right now.

so it meens like the cmos battery might be dead or weak not sure but it doeisnt seem to hold anything back:)

Edited by gordesky1