Change Mode

SATA HDD not recognized as mater

Hi so maybe some of you remember my previous thread about my computer freezing on a regular basis and eventually crashing? Well now I've got a bigger problem, see it was running a certain harddrive that wasn't mine in place of mine while the incompetent boob who sold me this computer was having the drive sent back to western digital and getting a replacement. So I had him come by about 2 days ago to give me back my drive, turns out he took out he serrogate drive and put mine back in, but now it won't start!

So some background

its IDE

The hard drive was listed as the channel one slave, I managed to fix that so its listed as the master now

the dvd drive is listed as the channel 2 slave but there is no master, for the hard drive I simply unplugged the chord and plugged into a different but identically shaped socket, there is no such thing for the disk drive.

After the initial screen with the "press DEL to enter setup" message, it goes to a screen which lists some details about the computer and at the bottom it says "verifying DMI pool data" at this point a noise that sounds like the colling fan having a hiccup occurs and the computer just seems to freeze.

If there are any details you need please let me know, although it has to be said I can't get into the system to check any settings or anything so...

Thanks

Edited by Mak

New Weestern Digital drive set the jumper on the back to single drive then you'll have to format the drive and install the operating system. Dvd drive also can be set with either no jumper or master jumper. It could be that something was bumped when the other drive was removed so check that every thing is plugged in solidly making sure that the power cord is disconnected and that you touch some metal on the case before reaching inside.

New Weestern Digital drive set the jumper on the back to single drive then you'll have to format the drive and install the operating system. Dvd drive also can be set with either no jumper or master jumper. It could be that something was bumped when the other drive was removed so check that every thing is plugged in solidly making sure that the power cord is disconnected and that you touch some metal on the case before reaching inside.

Everything looks connected nothing is loose or anything. I should point out it isn't a new hard drive, its a refurbished caviar se16. All my files from the old drive have allegedly been transplanted onto it, and using the same operating system as before.

set both drives to "cable select" then make sure that that HDD is on the first plug (this is actually the second one in... you have two on one end of the cable and one on the other... the single plug of course is what goes into the MOBO, the first plug up from that is the cable select master, the second (the end plug) is the slave if you use CSS jumper setting.

That said, you may still need to go through an install process even if your drive has transferred. If this is the case do not format, select repair install instead and go from there.

Good luck - reconfiguring a system can be irritating at best.

set both drives to "cable select" then make sure that that HDD is on the first plug (this is actually the second one in... you have two on one end of the cable and one on the other... the single plug of course is what goes into the MOBO, the first plug up from that is the cable select master, the second (the end plug) is the slave if you use CSS jumper setting.

That said, you may still need to go through an install process even if your drive has transferred. If this is the case do not format, select repair install instead and go from there.

Good luck - reconfiguring a system can be irritating at best.

ah i also forgot to mention that the HDD is a Serial ATA model. The only plug that goes into the CD drive is the one at the end, the other doesn't stretch far enough.

er.... do you have SATA cable or IDE cable then? I had assumed IDE based on the comment that the HDD and DVD were on the same cable. SATA is entirely seperate cable for each drive, so you wouldn't be able to run both drives off it anyway.

Sorry if that sounds like a basic response, but that's how I'm reading your issue. I have never heard of a line with both SATA and IDE connections, so something is not making sense about your hardware setup.

One of the errors might be the way the machine is reading the hardware. SATA/RAID setups can be tricky to impliment.

er.... do you have SATA cable or IDE cable then? I had assumed IDE based on the comment that the HDD and DVD were on the same cable. SATA is entirely seperate cable for each drive, so you wouldn't be able to run both drives off it anyway.

Sorry if that sounds like a basic response, but that's how I'm reading your issue. I have never heard of a line with both SATA and IDE connections, so something is not making sense about your hardware setup.

One of the errors might be the way the machine is reading the hardware. SATA/RAID setups can be tricky to impliment.

Now worries I guess I just didn't make it clear.

The cd-drive is on an IDE cable I'm guessing, but the hard drive is attached to a separate SATA cable as you said. The pc was originally equipped with this setup, but the drive crashed, was taken out and replaced with an IDE hard drive, I got a new SATA hard drive and that was put back.

Now worries I guess I just didn't make it clear.

The cd-drive is on an IDE cable I'm guessing, but the hard drive is attached to a separate SATA cable as you said. The pc was originally equipped with this setup, but the drive crashed, was taken out and replaced with an IDE hard drive, I got a new SATA hard drive and that was put back.

In that case it's a matter of reconfiguring your SATA controller. Unfortunately that is not my area of expertise as I just recently upgraded to this hardware configuration and haven't had enough play time yet.

I do know that you will have to make sure that your computer is not trying to boot or read from the location with the IDE drives (probably a bios setting), you can leave it connected, just set the bios to boot from the SATA first. If that gets you going great, but likely there is a bit more too it and you may need your windows or HDD setup cd to complete the rest.

In that case it's a matter of reconfiguring your SATA controller. Unfortunately that is not my area of expertise as I just recently upgraded to this hardware configuration and haven't had enough play time yet.

I do know that you will have to make sure that your computer is not trying to boot or read from the location with the IDE drives (probably a bios setting), you can leave it connected, just set the bios to boot from the SATA first. If that gets you going great, but likely there is a bit more too it and you may need your windows or HDD setup cd to complete the rest.

thanks that sounds like a great place to start.