Change Mode

A truly Canadian Apology to the USA.... Courtesy of Rick Mercer from This Hour Has 22 Minutes, CBC Television:

On behalf of Canadians everywhere I'd like to offer an apology to the United States of America. We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry.

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron. He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out. If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America. After all it's not like you actually elected him.

I'm sorry about our softwood lumber. Just because we have more trees than you doesn't give us the right to sell you lumber that's cheaper and better than your own.

I'm sorry we beat you in Olympic hockey. In our defence I guess our excuse would be that our team was much, much, much, much better than yours.

I'm sorry we burnt down your White House during the war of 1812. I notice you've rebuilt it! It's Very Nice.

I'm sorry about your beer. I know we had nothing to do with your beer but, we feel your pain.

I'm sorry about our waffling on Iraq. I mean, when you're going up against a crazed dictator, you want to have your friends by your side. I realize it took more than two years before you guys pitched in against Hitler, but that was different. Everyone knew he had weapons.

And finally on behalf of all Canadians, I'm sorry that we're constantly apologizing for things in a passive-aggressive way which is really a thinly veiled criticism. I sincerely hope that you're not upset over this. We've seen what you do to countries you get upset with.

Guest fragged one

nobody in this country pays attention to what's going on. nobody votes, nobody cares..... we are the modern romanesque society, and it will come crashing down sometime. i am almost embarrassed to live here because of all the apathy and disinterest in how our government runs itself.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, --That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. --Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain [George III] is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world..................

history repeats itself. the document may die, but not the ideas. if people would only inform themselves.....

I'm sorry we called George Bush a moron.

Many of us do to. Never apologize for being honest, and correct.

He is a moron but, it wasn't nice of us to point it out.

Many people still need it pointed out to them.

If it's any consolation, the fact that he's a moron shouldn't reflect poorly on the people of America.

It should, but only the ones who actually voted for a recession, high unemployment, the first actual decrease in job creating since the great depression............

After all it's not like you actually elected him.

Again very few actually voted for him, but we are all suffering because of him, thank god another election is coming.

Great post guru.

Oh BTW, playing with matches isn't nice, as history proved, we spank people who play with matches, and send them to their rooms, where they wish they could come and play with the other big boys. :P

I never fault a person for stating the truth or their opinion, even if it may differ from my own, or isn't exactly what I want to hear. Honesty is the trait I value most in people. thanks for a great post! :mrgreen:

On behalf of the United States of America I'd like to offer an apology to the Canadians . We haven't been getting along very well recently and for that, I am truly sorry the Louisiana land purchase wasn't bigger.

Edited by jimbotopgun
Guest Deuces Wild

How nice of you to post that insane editorial on our Independence Day guru.

Yes sir, you have class...real class. :mrsgreen:

Guest Deuces Wild

Again very few actually voted for him, but we are all suffering because of him, thank god another election is coming.

Pssst....hey Bruce. Don't tell anyone but he won the electoral college vote. That is our system here in the US. If you don't like it, go to work to change it. Get over it already.. :blink:

Gore could not even carry his home State. And all the re-counts after re-counts, even the independent ones, showed that GWB won Florida. ;)

And you can blame the recession of the past 3 years on your buddy Bill Clinton. And I guess you forgot the fact that we suffered through this little thing called 9-11. :mrsgreen:

Edited by Deuces Wild

I never said he "didn't win" the election, in fact I think the electoral college is a viable and logical way to do things.

To be honest, I don't like Gore and didn't vote for him, I used my "write in"

I will "whine" all I damn please, it is a right of all American citizens to speak out against the things we don't like. If ya don't like that then tough! :rolleyes::mrgreen: Got to work to try and change it, I believe that would be called the Bush campaign. Ooooops is it OK to say that, or do I need Ashcrofts permission??

I'll get over it when he is out of my White House.

Guest Deuces Wild

What facts?? The one where Gore won the popular vote? Thats a fact!

Go have another coffee.

I guess you missed this earlier post of mine:

Pssst....hey Bruce. Don't tell anyone but he won the electoral college vote. That is our system here in the US. If you don't like it, go to work to change it. Get over it already..  

Gore could not even carry his home State. And all the re-counts after re-counts, even the independent ones, showed that GWB won Florida.  

And thanks, I guess I will have another cup of coffee. ;)

Since we are talking facts the electoral college vote in 2000 was determined by the Supreme Court by a vote of court appointee from the current presidents' father. I do not understand how that appointee could fail to abstain since there is a clear presumption of bias.

Even if the recession is due to Clinton it is the current administrations responsibility to fix it not perpetuate it. This administration now has the singular distincrtion of presiding over the greatest contraction in the economy since Herbert Hoover. They seem to be using the same play book so that is understandable.

Guest Deuces Wild

D,

Speaking of whining, there is such a thing as a poor winner.

I

Who is being a poor winner? I was not the one who brought this subject up. I just countered a claim about "Bush getting very few votes" with some facts that seemed to get in the way. ;)

I saw it.

Where did I say he didn't win the election? What facts are you talking about?

I am a little confused about whatever fact it is that you are talking about.

All I said was "most people didn't vote for him", thats a simple matter of record and is indeed a fact.

Am I missing something?

Guest Deuces Wild

Since we are talking facts the electoral college vote in 2000 was determined by the Supreme Court by a vote of court appointee from the current presidents' father. I do not understand how that appointee could fail to abstain since there is a clear presumption of bias.

They did their job. And the indepent recounts proved the Florida counts, recounts, re-recounts, re-re-recounts and re-re-re-recounts to be correct.

Even if the recession is due to Clinton it is the current administrations responsibility to fix it not perpetuate it.  This administration now has the singular distincrtion of presiding over the greatest contraction in the economy since Herbert Hoover. They seem to be using the same play book so that is understandable.

The recession has bottomed out. The stock market has had it's better quarter since 1998. The economy is slowly improving.

It would have happened earlier, but that little old terrorist attack on 9-11 had something to say about that. ;)

Edit: Folks it is Independence Day. I am going to enjoy the day instead of spending it complaining about our President and the election of 2000. ;);)

Edited by Deuces Wild