Change Mode

Lost files during cut & paste due to crash

Can anyone help a complete computer illiterate get back some 'lost' files?

I was transferring holiday-snap jpegs from a USB memory stick to a folder on my laptop, which runs Windows XP. Unfortunately I was using cut & paste rather than copy & paste. The computer froze two-thirds of the way thru the process, before all the pics had been transferred. I had to unplug from the mains and remove the battery before it would restart/reboot. On reboot I let it run an automatic disk check. I then discovered that the files that had apparently already been transferred before the crash were no longer on the memory stick but also not visible in the destination folder on the main drive. Only the remaining, untransferred jpegs were still on the stick.

I know nothing about computers. Can someone please advise in VERY SIMPLE LANGUAGE whether the files have been lost forever or whether they should be on the destination drive in some form, and if so how can I retreive them? There were 220+ jpeg files lost in all.

My thinking is, if I watched the bl*$£y thing transfer 200+ files before it crashed, they must be there on the hard drive somewhere... I presume that because the process was interrupted the computer did not get round to constructing a file path (or whatever you call it) to them. But they WERE transferred, allegedly, into the destination folder even though they're not visible there. The computer would have no reason to delete them on re-boot, surely?

Not sure Recuva is going to find anything because I presume the files are stuck in some kind of temporary format and haven't actually been deleted. However, am running it now.

Someone gave me a stolen camera last year to recover the pics because the theif deleted pics, I was able to recover about 90% of the pics, the rest got over written and were permentally lost. I used Active Undelete Pro (not free) but it got the job done for me

Someone gave me a stolen camera last year to recover the pics because the theif deleted pics, I was able to recover about 90% of the pics, the rest got over written and were permentally lost. I used Active Undelete Pro (not free) but it got the job done for me

OK thanks for that Joe. (For a dog you seem to be exceptionally articulate, by the way)

OK thanks for that Joe. (For a dog you seem to be exceptionally articulate, by the way)

If I were to speak in my native tounge, you'd never understand me....

(grrr...woof woof, grrr arf arf arf arf woof )