Change Mode

can't add my hp printer

Hi all, I'm trying to add my hp printer to my comp and it won't take it, it keeps saying an error occured and it may not work properly. I have a hp 3180. I used this perfectly fine on my other computer. I have tried to add it using the installation disk and I've downloaded the driver off the net, but still no joy. It's driving me mad :cr@sh: I've been trying to put it on for an hour :pullhair: When I plug in the usb sometimes it say found new hardware 3180 and other times it says found new hardware printing support.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Many HP printers stumble on installation if there are old HP drivers present in the computer. Make sure you completely uninstall all old (unused) printers and their drivers before trying to install a new one. There are many web sites that discuss this issue. Just google "uninstall old printer drivers".

Good Luck.

Edited by JohnD

Hi, I've looked in add/remove and theres quite a few hp bits. When I click remove it says do not remove if continuing to use photosmart. Should I remove them all completely and start again? Don't want to remove anything accidentally so thought I'd ask first :tup:

Yep - I would remove them all and start over. You might want to go to the HP website and download the latest drivers and software rather than using the disk. Make sure you get the appropriate drivers and software for your operating system. Vista is especially fussy about "non-vista" drivers.

Good Luck

Hi, I have downloaded the driver and still no joy, :cr@sh: it keeps saying its not installed properly and may not work. There is some hp stuff from before, is it conflicting? I have 2 folders in c/program files 1 hp and 1 hewlett packard, 1 is empty. Do these need to be deleted?

Edited by ilikenemo

Don't know about those "HP" and "Hewlett Packard" folders. Most likely if you have deleted the drivers you should be OK. The folders probably just contain some software.

Joe C. has good advice. Read the installation instructions carefully. With Operating Systems prior to Vista you had to install the software and wait for the installation program to tell you to connect the printer with a USB cable. Most installations with Vista just require that you hook-up the printer and away goes the installation.

I have tried to reinstall it again but it still won't take it. Its get as far as checking the device then it says device not found continue ibstallation and add device later, but then it still doesn't pick it up. It's beginning to drive me mad now :pullhair: Should I delete the folders in c/programs for hp and hewlwtt packard? I can't understand why it won't pick it up :stars:

Thanks