Change Mode

Adderall

lilbill08

The last time I brought this word into my post was the first day I used it, which was back in december. After the slow and steady breakdown of my social life, my dependence with amphetamines, and my life turning to :filtered:... I have just poured my script down the sink drain. It took a few tries to do it, but, goodbye to you. I hate you.

Edited by lilbill08

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time I brought this word into my post was the first day I used it, which was back in december. After the slow and steady breakdown of my social life, my dependence with amphetamines, and my life turning to :filtered:... I have just poured my script down the sink drain. It took a few drinks to do it, but, goodbye to you. I hate you.

I don't understand everything you said in your post, but, it sounds concerning. I hope you are okay, because your post doesn't sound like you are okay. Could you please post again and explain what you mean? It sounds to me like you need to talk about what's on your mind. What's going on? When you say, "goodbye to you, I hate you.?" please explain......I am worried.

Edited by ©JoSiEBeLLe®

He is saying he hates the drugs and is saying goodbye to them.

That's a good thing!! :clap: It sounded scary to me. I did considered that as a possible explanation. You know better than I do. I still hope everything is okay. I guess it's a mom thing to worry. :huh2:

Unfortunately when it's prescribed you think it's going to cure! :angry:

Society is over-medicated. Now, I am not going to say prescription drugs should be eradicated, but if people started living healthier lives, drug companies would be losing a lot of money. Still, I gotta hand it to ya Bill. It takes guts to decide to do something like that, and even more guts to stick to it. ;)

Normalcy is inadequacy, so welcome back to real reality, not the one supplanted by drugs.

Edited by brandon

Society is over-medicated. Now, I am not going to say prescription drugs should be eradicated, but if people started living healthier lives, drug companies would be losing a lot of money. Still, I gotta hand it to ya Bill. It takes guts to decide to do something like that, and even more guts to stick to it. ;)

Normalcy is inadequacy, so welcome back to real reality, not the one supplanted by drugs.

Well said Brandon!

Unfortunately when it's prescribed you think it's going to cure! :angry:

Why?

It treats, it does not cure.

Society is over-medicated. Now, I am not going to say prescription drugs should be eradicated, but if people started living healthier lives, drug companies would be losing a lot of money.

Very, very true. But medications would still be needed as you suggest.

Starting such medication requires a physician, but so does stopping it. I can't support simple noncompliance, it can be dangerous. If one wants to stop taking a prescribed drug, they should do so with the support of the prescriber.

It would be unethical to prescribe without seeing the patient, and people would be in an uproar, yet it seems to be acceptable for laymen to "unprescribe" on a message board. The truth is most people have no idea of what the sequelae of stopping a medication can be and should not advise people in this way. People may have their own experiences with certain drugs, but that can have little to do with another case.

Please make sure your doctor knows you have stopped taking your medication.

That being said, ADD and ADHD are over diagnosed and over prescribed for IMHO. If you are unhappy with your treatment, pharmacological or otherwise, then talk to your doctor. If you are not satisfied with your doctor or what he does for you, then find another.

This statement concerns me:

It took a few drinks to do it, but, goodbye to you. I hate you.

Please talk to your doctor.

In any case, I hope you find relief.

well, i can only think that abuse or mis-diagnosis would lead to problems with thw drug.

used properly it helps IMMENSELY

it really gets me that people want to blame drugs.... really? i don't see the drugs forcing themselves onto anyone. blame people instead. maybe yourself for using them, maybe a prescriber, but drugs really can't be to blame since they can't actually do anything themselves.

Oy, it's mildly similar to that codeine + promethazine I was prescribed to help with this cough I've had for the past 4 months. I can't take the stuff and function normally, though. I'm supposed to take it before I go to sleep, but I can easily sleep 12 hours after I take it and still wake up drowsy. I missed a week's worth of classes before I decided that it was being obstructive.

had to look it up myself. For anyone else who needs to know what "adderall" is,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adderall

I am glad posted that link, I had no idea what Adderall was. Then I also read on to ChopDocs post, well written and the best advice given in this thread. There can be some serious side effects to quitting some RX's cold turkey and you need to wean off of them.

I though I was pretty smart about Rx's, so I quit Paxil after being on it for a couple years. There are lawsuits over withdrawal from Paxil, I don't think my doctor even knew how serious the withdrawal was. I won't go into detail except to say, it was very bad. So bad, I called my son to come over and stay with me. I was afraid to go to sleep. I don't ever want to go through something like that again. I was courted by a lawyer, how did he know, to join in a class action lawsuit. I made the decision myself, honestly I don't think my doctor had the information about Paxil withdrawal. She was too good of a doctor and always explained things about my RX's. If she had known, she would have told me. She had concerns about Vioxx way before it was taken off the market.

My point is, ChopDoc really knows his stuff on this topic and I learned the hard way. LillBill, call your doctor, let him/her know you quit, especially if you have any symptoms, by that I mean, you still don't feel right. You should call no matter what. You may not want to talk to your doctor about this, if not, go to another doctor. Even if you are feeling fine and I hope you are, be safe. We care about you, you need to care about yourself.

RandomX, just ask your doc if a smaller dose would do. You may not need as much as he prescribed. Everyone is different in how they respond to prescriptions. The doc needs your feedback. Anyway, this is late advice, you are probably over your cough by now, next time you see your doc, tell him how the cough syrup knocked you out. Then he can adjust the dosage for you.

I hope you are feeling better now. Even out here (in Oregon) people are catching flu or colds with bad coughs, too. It's really been going around. Take care of yourself!! I need you healthy to argue, I mean discuss topics politely with!! :P You hate smileys......or was that someone else? I'm only using the one, just in case.

Edit, spelling as usual, and yes, I have a spellchecker!!

Edited by ©JoSiEBeLLe®

Well, thanks for the "pump up".

What I advance is really simple good judgement.

Regarding psychotropic drugs......any drugs that act on neurotransmitters need to be handled with care when ceasing therapy. It only stands to reason and requires no research or labeling...it only requires an understanding of their actions.

It is interesting that you mention Paxil. It's a very good drug, but like any drug it has its bad side. The SSRIs have been an incredible addition to our ability to manage depression and related disorders. But no drug is perfect.

I was actually involved in the original clinical trials of Paxil so I have followed this drug more closely than some others.

As an extreme example of this matter, the shooter at Northern Illinois U had recently gone off his SSRI.

These drugs can literally be life savers, but like any other drug need to be treated with respect....both in prescribing and in ceasing therapy....and in between.

Psychotropics are far too carelessly prescribed. There are too many doctors that don't take care to analyze the patient's case before writing a script for some benzos here, or a few sleeping pills there.

You can't treat psychological issues with mere chemical therapy. A chemical imbalance may be the key behavior and mood issues, but coping skills and cognitive retraining are necessary to overcome the effects. OTOH if you are dealing with a purely psychological issue in the first place, then forcing the brain into a state of imbalance seems ill-advised as well.

You would think there was oversight of this kind of thing, but you would be surprised. Sadly, medicine is becoming a do-it-yourself routine more and more.

Sorry to hear about your experience Bill, but best of luck to you and keep looking for someone that will work with you in solving the real issues behind your symptoms, rather than just throwing pills at them.

But do listen too 'Doc's advice about advising your physician and in stepping off therapy- there are some very good reasons why you come off gradually.

Well, thanks for the "pump up".

What I advance is really simple good judgement.

Regarding psychotropic drugs......any drugs that act on neurotransmitters need to be handled with care when ceasing therapy. It only stands to reason and requires no research or labeling...it only requires an understanding of their actions.

It is interesting that you mention Paxil. It's a very good drug, but like any drug it has its bad side. The SSRIs have been an incredible addition to our ability to manage depression and related disorders. But no drug is perfect.

I was actually involved in the original clinical trials of Paxil so I have followed this drug more closely than some others.

As an extreme example of this matter, the shooter at Northern Illinois U had recently gone off his SSRI.

These drugs can literally be life savers, but like any other drug need to be treated with respect....both in prescribing and in ceasing therapy....and in between.

I had great results with Paxil and then a "fall off". Since it was no longer working, I made the very stupid decision to quit without consulting the doctor. An adjustment in dosage may have been all I needed, hindsight, ya know. I would still say Paxil is a good SSRI, it helped me for quite some time. And "fall off" is common. I did not know that back then. I did learn my lesson.

Psychotropics are far too carelessly prescribed.

I would have to agree. Part of the problem is that too many general internists and family physicians are managing psych cases that would be better off in the hands of psychiatrists. In addition, many psychiatrists are a bit cavalier with the prescription pad as well.

Part of the problem is the limited time that docs have with their patients in many cases. That really is a more serious problem in dealing with psych and social stuff. Such cases simply take more time to deal with than more straight forward medical/surgical stuff.

In addition, we have developed a real pill popping culture. There is a backlash now, but that isn't any good either. People are over reacting and turning against their doctors and the drugs in an extreme way, leaving themselves as easy prey for quackery.

How we will get this under control is a big subject and mostly wide open to speculation. In the mean time the best I can advise is for people to try to be well informed and understand that there are good and bad sources of information....be skeptical. For the docs...well....try to stick to the ideals of what you have been taught and don't fall into the traps. A difficult task on both sides of it.

before big pharmacy decided there was add and adhd it was called being a child. keep on the lookout, autism is the new en vogue illness.

I don't deny the hazards of "popular" diagnosis, but let's be clear: Autism, ADD, and ADHD are quite real.

The hype of their popularity is certainly a problem, but none of them is simply "being a child". I will admit that there are probably numerous casses of ADD and ADHD that are misdiagnosed and are in fact "normal".

Most of that I blame on the schools not being willing to deal with the time needed to tend to certain children. They refer them to the school psych and social workers and then on to docs for treatment....it's almost a scam to ignore some of our kids that just need too much attention in school.

There is alot of destructive hype and misinformation in the media about Autism. That's a problem, but it does not make autism any less real.