Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Signman

DD WRT questions

Got a new Blackberry phone a few days ago that is WiFi enabled. I thought I would try connectiong to my home wireless setup. During the setup in the phone, as it scanned for any wireless connections, I saw my SSID name ( which I temporarily dissabled the broadcast of in my router) and a 2nd name of "dd wrt" which I've nevver seen before. I've done some googling and it seems to be some firmware update refering to Linux. Can someone enlighten me on this... or let me make sure I understand what I am seeing. I have the Linksys WRT54G router. I hope it is not something that will comprimise my security.

well, i'm assuming here that you didn't know what ddwrt was before you seen it on your phones scan.... so this would mean that someone else, one of your neighbors, has setup a router with this different firmware.

seeing a second router will not compromise your security if you make sure to setup either a WEP or WPA encryption on YOUR router. if you don't use the encryption, THEN you are possibly sharing your network with anyone that would want to click the join button.

if you need some basic help with this, check out the pinned network guide at the top of the Networking forum.

Thanks, I have security set up on mine with the wep/wpa keys and the ssid turned off. I live near a couple of schools so this could be why I see that now. First time I've seen it though....I know it wasn't there about a month ago because I set up a friends laptop for wireless and it didn't show on that laptop. Thanks for the info.