Sign in to follow this  
wizzkid

Network file sharing

Hi,

I have a very small wireless home network of 2 computers a PC running XP & a Laptop running vista. The PC is connected to the internet via a modem hardwired to a wireless router which is hardwired to the PC. My laptop is connected wirelessly. It works fine. The problem is, from my Laptop I can share files on my PC, but from my PC I cannot share the files on my Laptop. File sharing is turned on. When I search from my PC for a computer on my network it finds my Laptop, when I double click the icon a popup says "Laptop not accessable, the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

I'm stumped I haven't got a clue what to do next, networking isn't my thing, I'm tolally new to it.

Cheers, Wizzkid

Edited by wizzkid

Hi,

I have a very small wireless home network of 2 computers a PC & a Laptop. The PC is connected to the internet via a modem hardwired to a wireless router which is hardwired to the PC. My laptop is connected wirelessly. It works fine. The problem is, from my Laptop I can share files on my PC, but from my PC I cannot share the files on my Laptop. File sharing is turned on. When I search from my PC for a computer on my network it finds my Laptop, when I double click the icon a popup says "Laptop not accessable, the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer"

I'm stumped I haven't got a clue what to do next, networking isn't my thing, I'm tolally new to it.

Cheers, Wizzkid

The problem is likely w/ vistas new "networking and sharing" You have to make sure of the following. You can adjust the options for better security later, this is just to get you up and running.

Posted Image

Set network to private.

Enable File Sharing

Enable Public Folder Sharing

Turn off Password Protected Sharing

Also any firewall on either system can block communication, be sure it allows the proper file sharing protocols to pass through.

Thanks brank20,

That did the trick, like you say once I know it's working I can sort the security side out. There is still one little thing though. I still cannot share my files..................... My account does not show up on the list of users. The accounts that show are Guest & Default not me, so I still can't access my files.

Thanks

Wizzkid

Thanks brank20,

That did the trick, like you say once I know it's working I can sort the security side out. There is still one little thing though. I still cannot share my files..................... My account does not show up on the list of users. The accounts that show are Guest & Default not me, so I still can't access my files.

Thanks

Wizzkid

I am not sure I follow what you are saying. Can you possibly screenshot the screen that you see and post it or go further into detail?

Are you sure you shared the folder you want to share on the network? Your my documents wont be shared by default on either pc, you need to make sure you right click the folder and select share.

Can you specify the following.

Computer Name

Computer Workgroup

If everything is setup right, you should be able to access a networked computer by typing the following into any explorer window, even the run box and hitting enter.

\\computer-name
Edited by brank20

Hi,

Ok then lets have ago at giving some some decent information.

When I serch for my computer as mentioned \\computer-name I find it. A window appears and there are two network folders in it. 1 named Public and 1 named Users. When I double click on users a window opens with three folders in it. 1 named Default, 1 named guest and 1 named public. When I double click on any of those folders a window opens with several folders in it such as favorites, my pictures, my music, documents ect. most of these folders are empty. Except one, which actually has folders in it from my PC not the laptop. So basically I am not able to see any of the folders from my laptop. I would have thought that a folder of my account name "Pete" would have been there so I could double click it and view that.

Plus there is only my account & a guest account on the laptop, no public as far as I am aware.

Hope this helps

Thanks,

Wizzkid