add more functionality to nautilus

i thought i'd share a little tip that i came across a while back. i'm sure most of you guys are probably already aware of these...but there may be a few like myself who were not. it adds a couple of extensions to the nautilus context menu (right click). one is called "nautilus-gksu" and will allow you to right click on a file and have the option to "open as administrator", which will open the file with gedit.

the other extension is "nautilus-open-terminal". right click anywhere in nautilus and have the option to "open in terminal". its nice to have the option just a right click away while in nautilus, instead of having to open a basic terminal and change directories to get where you want to go.

i am a really crappy typist (plain to see if you ever read any of my posts, lol)...so these 2 extensions save me a lot of time. :)

in ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal

heres a few more additions that are kinda neat....

nautilus-wallpaper: adds to the right-click menu an option to "set as wallpaper"....just right-click on an image to set. no more going to system > preferences > appearance > background > add.... or right-clicking the desktop > change desktop background > add > browse to the image and open it just to make it your wallpaper.

in ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-wallpaper

nautilus-image-converter: adds to the right-click menu options to "resize images" and "rotate images". a little quicker then opening the gimp or similar just to do a quick resize of an image. will do multiple images at once also. :tup:

in ubuntu:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-image-converter

or just install them all in one shot:

sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal nautilus-wallpaper nautilus-image-converter

logout (alt-ctrl-backspace), then back in again for the changes to take affect. if that does not do it....run "killall nautilus" (no "" marks) in a terminal or just reboot.

hope someone finds these as useful as i did. :)

:b33r:

Edited by JackeL
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

jackel, i get this far

[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal
[sudo] password for core-duo: 
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree	   
Reading state information... Done
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libxalan110 libxerces27
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  nautilus-gksu nautilus-open-terminal
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 29.8kB of archives.
After this operation, 729kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy-updates/main nautilus-gksu 2.0.0-5ubuntu3 [5972B]
Get:2 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com hardy/universe nautilus-open-terminal 0.8-1ubuntu3 [23.9kB]
Fetched 29.8kB in 0s (43.7kB/s)			  
Selecting previously deselected package nautilus-gksu.
(Reading database ... 164202 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking nautilus-gksu (from .../nautilus-gksu_2.0.0-5ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package nautilus-open-terminal.
Unpacking nautilus-open-terminal (from .../nautilus-open-terminal_0.8-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Setting up nautilus-gksu (2.0.0-5ubuntu3) ...
Setting up nautilus-open-terminal (0.8-1ubuntu3) ...
[email protected]:~$ sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree	   
Reading state information... Done
nautilus-gksu is already the newest version.
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
  libxalan110 libxerces27
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
[email protected]:~$ sudo cp /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-1.0/libnautilus-gksu.so /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0/
cp: cannot stat `/usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-1.0/libnautilus-gksu.so': No such file or directory
[email protected]:~$ 

what should i do, thanks :)

• 3 years later...

*for ubuntu 11.10 users (and maybe others)....don't know if this affects anyone else, but for me, the nautilus-gksu extension has not been working for the last couple of releases (since unity maybe?). recently came across a fix for it: just run the following in a terminal:

sudo cp /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-2.0/libnautilus-gksu.so /usr/lib/nautilus/extensions-3.0/

then log-out and back in again. should work as originally posted after that. and hey thanks to banned member JackeL for posting this tip!

:b33r:

Edited by numerounoyankeefan