Clearing Windows default IP address

Yes. I've got a networking guy looking at it. He says he needs to clear the default IP and he's forgotten how it's done. He's gone off to research it. He seems to think it requires a registry edit.

all you do is:

start-->run-->type in 'cmd'-->type in 'ipconfig /release', press enter-->type in 'ipconfig /renew'.

if he told you that you need a registry edit then you need to get him as far away from your computer as possible. :lol:

If a networking guy claims he doesn't know how to release or change an IP address, I suggest you get a new network guy.

You can simply release and renew it as BB suggested, or give it a static IP, and the proper default gateway to connect to the router.

He'd welcome your comments, I'm sure. Not.

It's not any old IP that needs clearing, it's the Windows default IP address . When I understand wth he's talking about I'll be pleased to pass it on. Meanwhile, he's off researching. Whereabouts unknown.

He'd welcome your comments, I'm sure. Not.

It's not any old IP that needs clearing, it's the Windows default IP address . When I understand wth he's talking about I'll be pleased to pass it on. Meanwhile, he's off researching. Whereabouts unknown.

start-->run-->type in 'cmd'-->type in 'ipconfig /release', press enter-->type in 'ipconfig /renew'.

Yeah, that's what he tried about ten this morning.

Moon,

You could have a faulty cable, or it isn't plugged in all the way.

However setting a static IP address and the default gateway will work, unless there is another problem hardware or cable related somewhere.

After you use a known good cable, the shut off your router and leave it off, set the staic IP address, default gateway, then shut down the computer.

Turn the router on, give a couple minutes, then turn on the computer.

We've checked the cable but haven't tried turning the router off yet. I'll get him to do that when he gets back. From wherever he went.

One complication; this is a new motherboard. I hope it isn't faulty. He says not. He says that the signal is being sent but it's not coming back. I'll let you know.

Did you get it working? I have a nforce 590 motherboard that when it comes out of sleep mode dose this some times,I have to turn computer off then turn power supply off to get it going again.

Anybody know how to clear the MS Windows default IP address ?

Probably the easiest workaround is to manually set an IP address in the range of 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.255.255, and the same subnet mask as the server.  Ask the administrator what range of IP addresses are free, and for the subnet mask

The server IP address is likely 192.168.0.1, but find out for sure, because the default gateway needs to be that address.

If you don't get Internet connectivity, set the preferred DNS server address to the server's IP.  If that doesn't work, ask the administrator for the DNS server settings.  They may be the ISP's DNS addresses.

The settings are all made in the same place.  Open the Network Connections tool in the Control Panel, right-click the network adapter and click Properties, and open Internet Protocol properties.

Edited by TomGL2

badbob;

Did you get it working?

Not yet. The network guy is due back last Friday. I'll trap him tomorrow and he can browse the thread. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, All, for the advice.

badbob;

Not yet. The network guy is due back last Friday. I'll trap him tomorrow and he can browse the thread. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks, All, for the advice.

Get a new network guy. It shouldnt take 5 days to resolve a network issue on a new computer system.

Heres my suggestions.

1. Get a network guy that owns a cable tester (faulty cables are common)

2. Restart the router - its possible the dhcp portion of the router froze (it happens).

3. If that doesnt help - reset it and reconfigure it, it may not be setup to give out dhcp

4. Make sure you have the proper network drivers installed. many motherboards these days have TWO network ports, you may have installed drivers for ONE of them and plugging the cable into the SECOND one which doesnt have any drivers installed (this happens and there is no sign that theres anything wrong aside from a unknown device in the control panel)

He says that the signal is being sent but it's not coming back.

If he doesnt have an ip address assigned manually or by dhcp, he will not recieve a response as the router is on a different subnet.

Edited by brank20

The diagnosis is now that the new mobo, with Gigabit 10/100/1000 isn't talking to the rest of the 10/100 ethernet system. Waddya reckon ? New Gigabit router ?

The diagnosis is now that the new mobo, with Gigabit 10/100/1000 isn't talking to the rest of the 10/100 ethernet system. Waddya reckon ? New Gigabit router ?

a 10/100/1000 nic will work just fine on a 10/100 network.

does the computer go straight into the router or is there a switch or hub involved? were different network cables tried?

what color are the lights on the network port on the back of the computer?

i agree with brank. a network issue like this should be fully diagnosed and resolved within minutes and hours, not days and weeks. i would be questioning his competence.

Edited by badbinary
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, he ended up diagnosing a faulty Linksys Gateway and he was right. I put in a new Linksys 4 port Gigabit router and all is tiny bikinis.

For back-up I got a Gigabit PCI card which I was going to circumnavigate the new mobo with , if necessary. As it isn't necessary I'm wondering if I could put that into my elderly Win98SE box instead of its 10/100 ethernet card ? Then all three machines would be Gigabit.

it didn't seriously take him this long to diagnose it, did it? i hope it's a volunteer and not someone that you pay.

yes, you can as long as there is a win98 driver for it.