Change Mode

See Though Tires.

Chas47448

I definitely think this will do wonders for the automotive industry. As it said in the link, this was already being looked at by the military, and most, if not all of their innovations trickle down into the civilan sector.

if it can handle rolling pressue good, then that'd be an awesome off road tire for the deformable core.

Funny you say that because the first thing that came to mind for me is what a terrible tire for offroad use, or for anyone who might drive in even just slightly muddy conditions.

Just look at all the places for the mud to collect.

Now stop and think how just a 1/4 once can either balance, or make a tire out of balance, and the terrible shaking, shimmying, bouncing it can cause, then of course the damage that shaking, shimmying, bouncing does to the tire, suspension, bushings, the rattles and on and on...........

Now think about the "pounds" of mud, dirt and junk that will collect inside of these things, and you have a vehicle that won't just shake, shimmy, bounce, but will be hopping a foot on the air, wobbling like a drunk weeble, and shaking like wino who ain't had a drop in a week. Your average car/truck of today made out of crushed beer cans and recycled plastic bags would be ready for the crusher/recycle bin in very short order.

Edited by Bruce

Tweel

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Tweel (a portmanteau of tire and wheel) is an experimental tire design being developed at Michelin. The tire uses no air and therefore cannot burst or become flat. Instead, flexible polyurethane spokes are used to support an outer rim. Handling gains have been cited as a reason to adopt this type of motor vehicle tire. If problems with the prototypes (such as excess vibration and noise at higher speed) are resolved, the first applications for the tire may be in the military where a flat-proof tire would be advantageous to maneuvering vehicles in difficult or dangerous areas.

Currently, the Tweel is being used for low-speed, low-weight applications, such as wheelchairs, motorbikes and construction equipment (for example, a skid loader). Tests on production cars have shown it is within 5% of a conventional tire and wheel's rolling resistance. If Michelin's prototypes go as planned, models for cars may appear around 2016.

The Tweel has been presented in a variety of applications. Eventually it may be able to outperform conventional tires since it can be designed to have high lateral strength (for better handling) without a loss in comfort.[citation needed]

[edit]

Design

The Tweel consists of a cable-reinforced band of conventional "tire" rubber with molded tread, a shear band just below the tread that creates a compliant contact patch, and a series of energy-absorbing polyurethane spokes. The rectangular spokes can be designed to have a range of stiffnesses, so engineers can control how the Tweel handles loads. The inner hub contains a matrix of deformable plastic structures that flex under load and return to their original shape.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweel

oh, i thought there was a clear plastic/rubber on the outside of it.

if it's open for stuff to get in, i'm not sure if it'd be a great idea. maybe there's a design feature that expels debris...?

I remember reading/watching segments about this tire. If I remember correctly they made the test tires without sidewalls just to prove they were not holding air for support and that the final product would have a side covering to keep out debris. It's been a while since I have checked on it and I did completely forget until I saw this post.