Change Mode

Calling all nvidia users

As a system builder i get to test and try all types of hardware and have noticed recently a major problem with nvidia drivers.

Some earlier cards work fine with original drivers but lost performance when using updated drivers!

More recent cards i.e 8800 gt gtx and the new 9 series dont even work well with bundled drivers.

Ive found a soulution it can somtimes be a time consuming process but is well worth it in the long run.

first go to http://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Then enter series,model,os etc...... and it will list all drivers ever released for that card.

Now the NVIDIA Recommended drivers dont always work but downloading them first is your best bet.

This is how to test your card run a pc pit test and check the 2D score. All top of the line cards for each series should score atleast 300 from the 6 series onwards. Run this test with your original drivers first to get some sort of idea what your score is. If it passes the 300 mark for the 6+7 series your ok and 400+ for 8+9 series.

If you beleve your card aint performing like it should you can then download NVIDIA Recommended drivers. uninstal your original driver restart when prompted then install downloaded drive, once complete run another test your score will either improve or decrease. if there was no change or a decrease try the WHQL Certified realeases starting from the earliest realease onwards untill you get the score you would expect.

If you cannot increase your score atall you might be considered as having 1 of the thousands of faulty cards that are on sale or maybe have some other hardware issue.

I had a Radeon 9600 Pro that scores higher than the 8800GTX on the pit. In no way is the pit any kind of a reasonable benchmark. It's a 2D test, which is in no way indicative of 3D performance whatsoever.

What you are suggesting is nothing more than a waste of time. Newer drivers work well on all cards that they support, but they are more optimized towards the newest gen, which only makes sense, since there is more room to squeeze performance out of with newer cards.

I had a Radeon 9600 Pro that scores higher than the 8800GTX on the pit. In no way is the pit any kind of a reasonable benchmark. It's a 2D test, which is in no way indicative of 3D performance whatsoever.

What you are suggesting is nothing more than a waste of time. Newer drivers work well on all cards that they support, but they are more optimized towards the newest gen, which only makes sense, since there is more room to squeeze performance out of with newer cards.

this is tried and tested. built a system 2day that scored a mere 125 in the pit after some messing around with different drivers it scored 492 you cant be sayin its a waste of time you havnt even tested this

Also most cards only come with one gpu that processes both 2d and 3d if that same gpu dont perform well in 2d it aint gona perform much better with 3d is it

I use Windows too. Oh, and I can pull up a test where I scored over 500 with an X1900, yet somehow, an 8800GTX manages to be twice as fast in gaming. Don't sell me short. When it comes to arguing, I have few equals on this board, especially when I think/know I am right.

Edited by brandon

I use Windows too. Oh, and I can pull up a test where I scored over 500 with an X1900, yet somehow, an 8800GTX manages to be twice as fast in gaming.

Ok just try it using some different driver versions if you cant see a change then you can you can go about putting people off

I'm not putting anyone off, I'm just saying the a test that measures 2D performance will in no way be able to determine how the card performs with 3D graphics. Like I said, my old X1900XT scored 500 in the pit test, but an 8800GTX, which performs much lower in the pit will rip it a new one.

Testing driver revisions is not necessary. A new driver will either lower performance by a percentile, or increase it. There's no way to tell other than gaming/3D benchmarks, and there are other factors that affect performance besides drivers.

Edited by brandon

Oh, and you are welcome to prove me wrong anytime. Care for a wager? If you were right about 2D performance indicating how well a 3D game will perform, I will ask the mods to ban me for a month. If I win, I win. You can't lose.

ive sat here for the last 6 hours trying different cards and different drivers ive run 3d benchmarks and run several differnt games i tested one card with the latest driver that scored 51 in the pit kept hanging in games then i installed a older driver it bumped the score upto 360 and also run all the games a threw at it no problems.

Ithought i would post my findings to help other users experiencing problems but before any one can have a chance to try it you just put them of by basicly saying its bull :filtered:.

your ment to help people but what you have said obviously ain't

I use Windows too. Oh, and I can pull up a test where I scored over 500 with an X1900, yet somehow, an 8800GTX manages to be twice as fast in gaming. Don't sell me short. When it comes to arguing, I have few equals on this board, especially when I think/know I am right.

:funny::jester::popcorn:

ive sat here for the last 6 hours trying different cards and different drivers ive run 3d benchmarks and run several differnt games i tested one card with the latest driver that scored 51 in the pit kept hanging in games then i installed a older driver it bumped the score upto 360 and also run all the games a threw at it no problems.

Ithought i would post my findings to help other users experiencing problems but before any one can have a chance to try it you just put them of by basicly saying its bull :filtered:.

your ment to help people but what you have said obviously ain't

I understand what Brandon is saying, I also had an old Geforce 5700 Ultra that would score 600 points on the 2d pit test. The 2d pit test is not a mesurement of the latest 3D graphics card and recommend you try those test on FutureMark. Download here http://www.futuremark.com/download/

I personally have 2 8800 Ultras in SLI, and only get 200 points on 2d the pit test.

but will do this completly stock on 3D 03 http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=5759164

Try these test for a true mesurement in 3D results! ;)

Yeah it makes no sense to test using the Pit for your 3D GFX. I could see trying this with say 3D Mark 06 but just about anyone I know does this process anyways. Only the real picky people that want every extra point out of the benchmark try all the different drivers though like me :). Maybe a better solution is to benchmark the drivers using your favorite game and use the ones that give you the best results.

Don't see any where he was banned! You guy's know something I don't?

If he was that's too bad! Seen know reason too, but then again don't know what the mods seen that we didn't!

Don't see any where he was banned! You guy's know something I don't?

If he was that's too bad! Seen know reason too, but then again don't know what the mods seen that we didn't!

If you click on his name it takes you to his profile - that's where it shows banned.