Sign in to follow this  
scottrill2

Definition of certain registry tweaks

Hello,

Recently bought Optimize 2.0 and had a few questions:

1. I also use tweakxp utility, will any of there setting conflict with each other?

2. TweakXP gives an explanation of what each setting or tweak does. Unfortunately Optimize does not. Is there a manual for Optimize that will tell me what each thing means so I can see if it is something I want to apply or not?

If there is no manual available can someone please tell me what each of these means:

BrowseRemoteTasks=(Delete Key)

CompressOldFiles=(Delete Key)

VisualFXSetting=3

MinAnimate=0

MenuShowDelay=250

ContigFileAllocSize=512

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate=1

3. How compatible is optimize with Vista? I run a dual boot. I am using it on my xp partition, but wondering if it would help my Vista partition as well.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Scott

1. I also use tweakxp utility, will any of there setting conflict with each other?

I'm not sure about tweakxp so I'm not sure if any of the settings conflict.

2. TweakXP gives an explanation of what each setting or tweak does. Unfortunately Optimize does not. Is there a manual for Optimize that will tell me what each thing means so I can see if it is something I want to apply or not?

We don't have a manual, but the names we mention are the actual key names from the registry. Usually you'll see the information if you put the key name into a Google search. I've got one-line descriptions from memory below.

If there is no manual available can someone please tell me what each of these means:

BrowseRemoteTasks=(Delete Key)

CompressOldFiles=(Delete Key)

VisualFXSetting=3

MinAnimate=0

MenuShowDelay=250

ContigFileAllocSize=512

NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate=1

BrowseRemoteTasks fixes a performance problem that XP has when connecting to remote computers. CompressOldFiles fixes a potential hang you may get if you use Windows Disk Cleanup. VisualFXSetting sets the Visual Effects Performance settings to Custom; it may also change other settings depending on the system. MinAnimate removes the explode/implode animations of windows when you send them to the taskbar. MenuShowDelay sets the amount of delay (milliseconds) between the time the mouse hovers over a Start menu flyout and the time it appears. ContigFileAllocSize sets the file chunk size for newly-formatted NTFS drives. NtfsDisableLastAccessUpdate turns off the "last access" date update that normally occurs each time a file is read.

3. How compatible is optimize with Vista? I run a dual boot. I am using it on my xp partition, but wondering if it would help my Vista partition as well.

Optimize 2.0 is fully compatible with Vista. It requires elevation if you have UAC on, and automatically asks for it when the program runs on Vista. A lot of the tweaks and cleanups still apply on Vista; give it a try and see what you think!