Change Mode

Computer Crashes on Startup

Hi.

I was working on my computer less than 15 minutes ago when all of a sudden my comp locked up & shutdown. I figured it had some critical error & needed to be restarted. Well when i hit the power button, it starts up & just shuts off again. I have 4 different bootable CD's for 4 different operating systems, but none of them take -- i'll put them in & the comp will still shut down. I guess this would be a BIOS problem? Just thought that because i don't even get the operating system that's on ther (Vista) to start :-\

HP Pavilion dv5000, Windows Vista, 100Gig HDD, 1GB RAM.

I don't know where to start to find an answer to this problem.

~Thanks in advance.

usually lasts like a minute tops. There are times when it's gotten to the screen saying Windows encountered an error or whatever, how would i like to proceed? I've tried "Start Windows Normally" "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode w/ Networking"..., but they start to load & the computer shuts down.

usually lasts like a minute tops. There are times when it's gotten to the screen saying Windows encountered an error or whatever, how would i like to proceed? I've tried "Start Windows Normally" "Safe Mode" "Safe Mode w/ Networking"..., but they start to load & the computer shuts down.

power on the computer and hit F1 or delete whatever one takes you to the bios when in the bios go to boot option under the opton for sequence or drive priority change the 1st boot device to your cd rom drive and the 2nd to hdd disk and disable the rest.

exit saving changes insert your vista cd into the drive when prompted press any key to boot from cd.

whait for vista setup to load and choose the repair option

i just tried to open the BIOS, but hit the wrong key so i missed it, & let it start up. I saw the progress bar for windows, but then a blue screen (not like a real BSOD) then it just restarted...

However, i don't hear a fan...

Sorry, typing this up on one computer as i try to load my laptop.

The second boot was a blue screen talking about a physical memory crash (didn't have enough time to read it all). Now i tried to boot in safe mode.

I see the list of files opening & then i get the blue screen.

I guess at this point i could get the CD to load, but i probably shouldn't risk it with a dead fan.

Edited by Leonidas117

i just tried to open the BIOS, but hit the wrong key so i missed it, & let it start up. I saw the progress bar for windows, but then a blue screen (not like a real BSOD) then it just restarted...

However, i don't hear a fan...

Sorry, typing this up on one computer as i try to load my laptop.

The second boot was a blue screen talking about a physical memory crash (didn't have enough time to read it all). Now i tried to boot in safe mode.

I see the list of files opening & then i get the blue screen.

I guess at this point i could get the CD to load, but could i really have a fan & some Physical memory failure at the same time?

if it was overheating it would not reboot just freeze.

the blue screen indicates a few problems most common being corupt boot record,memory problem,or a virus somthing has caused your system to dump the memory and shut down to prevent damage.

and as you cant start in safe mode the only option left is to repair the instalation from cd to see if that sorts the booting prob once thats done then you can test the memory and run a scan for viruses

I put the CD in to try & boot from it, missed the prompt for setup & so it booted normally -- like actually booted, no lock ups. Before i posted i tried the same thing 3 or 4 times & it always crashed, now it just started up

Usually at boot though i would hear the fan kick on, & when i noticed it i didn't hear it, i thought there was something wrong with it.

Edited by Leonidas117

ok i still think getting to hot wont cause a blue screen but if maybe it is leave the computer on run defrag or another scan to get the cpu working and eventually the fan will start to cool the cpu if it dont then i would agree its the fan

Screw this. I tried running a virus scan once it booted, now it's starting the same sh% all over again

last option get you vacume cleaner if it has an extendable pipe turn it on and hold 2 inces from the laptops exsaust this will suck air thru the machine just like the cpu fan does and if it still crashes its not over heating