Sign in to follow this  
ritter197

Ping is 0 MS yet I connect fine

Here are my results:

Overall score for system "YOUR-4DACD0EA75": 2738

I always get a ping score of 0 ms, yet I connect to all sites fine.

What causes that?

Any other comments re my test? :(

It can happen if your firewall (software or hardware) blocks pings. Some firewalls let HTTP port 80 through fine but will block other traffic such as pings.

I have also seen it with utilities like PeerGuardian or any app that uses the same block list as them.

If you go to a command prompt and type PING PCPITSTOP.COM does that work? If so then it's probably a software firewall problem and not a hardware one.

It can happen if your firewall (software or hardware) blocks pings. Some firewalls let HTTP port 80 through fine but will block other traffic such as pings.

I have also seen it with utilities like PeerGuardian or any app that uses the same block list as them.

If you go to a command prompt and type PING PCPITSTOP.COM does that work? If so then it's probably a software firewall problem and not a hardware one.

When I go to RUN, then CMD, and type "PING PCPITSTOP.COM" (without the exclamation marks of course) it comes back that it does not recognize such a command.

That's strange. All versions of Windows should have ping. Can you post a TechExpress link?

Something is blocking your ping-times, as dave suggested. You'll need to unblock the offending program before it will show.

Being the nature of what, we can't really help you unless we know what it is you're running for security programs, and then perhaps someone who is familiar with them will be able to lend a hand.

Something is blocking your ping-times, as dave suggested. You'll need to unblock the offending program before it will show.

Being the nature of what, we can't really help you unless we know what it is you're running for security programs, and then perhaps someone who is familiar with them will be able to lend a hand.

I do not know how to do what you suggest, namely "unblock". I use Trend Micro Pro .

Just a separate question. What is the purpose of PING if I can access web pages, e-mail and newsgroups?

Is it even a concern???

When I go to RUN, then CMD, and type "PING PCPITSTOP.COM" (without the exclamation marks of course) it comes back that it does not recognize such a command.

http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=K1NNSW64S4GS8AKG

here is my result page.

Do I loose something at all if I cannot "ping"?

All e-mail is ok, all newsgroups I can access and Firefox works fine.