Change Mode

8800 vs. 9600

if the newer 9 series geforce cards are supposed to be so good why are they cheaper than the slightly older 8 series? i'm looking into upgrading my vid cards but i'm kinda lost on the selection.seems like the 8 series are getting alot better ratings than the 9 series. this is the card i was originally looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-L0C-_-14130319 but i'm not sure if i should get this or go with the newer 9 series.anyone have some advice or opinions on this? thanks for any advice and opinions

its cheaper because its not an Nvidia card it has the chipset but aint made by nvidia

that has absolutely nothing to do with it. could you please find me an nvidia made card for sale? you can't because nvidia doesn't make video cards, they make chipsets.

the 9600 is cheaper because:

a.) they are less powerful.

b.) ati is making them nervous with the hd3800 series.

its probably cause of the price look ate the price of the nvidia made card compared to other brands

and i did by 2 cards last year and the messed up my order one card came and was the nvidia 6600gt but the other was a xfx 6600gt both vards where almost the same but had slightly different compenents on them any didnt think nothing of it till i tryed running sli tried ever driver i could find read thru 7 different setup confiqs and one card still got a better result running alone than with sli

also i tested both cards in the pit the nvidia scored 420

and the xfx 119

The 9600GT is a using the same basics as the older 8 series.

PCI 1.0

DX 10 (not 10.1)

Shader 4.0

and more stuff like that.

Its not like the 8800GT or GTS where it is PCI 2.0, 10.1 etc. So it shouldnt be as expensive to market.

But, I could be wrong? Isnt DDR2 cheeper to make then DDR? same as other components?

It does put a little bang for the buck, but it is really to compete with the HD3800 series.

if the newer 9 series geforce cards are supposed to be so good why are they cheaper than the slightly older 8 series? i'm looking into upgrading my vid cards but i'm kinda lost on the selection.seems like the 8 series are getting alot better ratings than the 9 series. this is the card i was originally looking at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...-L0C-_-14130319 but i'm not sure if i should get this or go with the newer 9 series.anyone have some advice or opinions on this? thanks for any advice and opinions

so do you think this card is the best card s far as price and the amount of card im getting? theres also a promotional code to put in for this card that will give an additional $10 off.

yes, or a 3870.

although the 8800gt does slightly better than the 3870.

just curious,i already have 1 7800gt,if i were to buy another one and run in sli mode.would it be a drastic change in gfx performance? i know the 8 series are a better performer,but at the same time i can get a 7800gt for around $60 to match the one i already have.ugh!!!!

the 600w is close, but you should be able to get it going without issues.

You have an SLI motherboard, right? :blink:

lol yup,i have an asus a8n sli premium.i did go ahead and buy a thermaltake dedicated power supply just to be sure there would be no power issues. it's a small 250w power supply that sits in a empty 5.25 drive bay.and i ended up getting 2 pci slot fans @43 cfm apiece.so i'm thinking i should be good to go.was hoping the cards would have gotten here yesterday.but geuss i can wait a couple more hours.cant wait to check em out.thanks again for the replies everyone. Edited by IlikeStuff

• 1 month later...