Change Mode

I need some CCTV help please

8210GUY

Basically hoping someone has some experience in this field, I've recently bought a DVR and a couple of camera's, but I can not connect to them and view an image, I'm certain it's something I'm doing rather than the equipment, but northing's impossible.

Here is my DVR, and This is one of my camera's, I have each plugged into the mains (both are mains operated) and the DVR fires up with lights and fans etc, I have installed the software on my PC which seems to work fine, and I have got an Ethernet crossover cable from the DVR to the router.

Now I have tried connecting into the DVR via the PC software but I get prompted for a user name\password, these are supposed to be the default, well when I try it says invalid password, I seem to be in a vicious circle here, I can't check the cameras because I can't see them, I was told to try connecting to the TV but don't have the right lead\connector, and I can't check the DVR because I can't see it on my monitor (using PC monitor to view it via Ethernet in router, tried PC direct but same thing), so if anyone can see where I'm going wrong it would be a great help, I need to get this system up and running ASAP before the next thing happens. :mrsgreen:

first, the default password should grant you control as the operator, what happens after you enter that password ?

also if its connected to a router you do not need a crossover cable, you need a strait threw connection unless its hooked directly to your pc.

did you read the manual?

Yes I have been repeatedly going through the manual trying to spot anything I am missing, it may well be the method I am trying to connect by that is why I appear to be failing, but as this is new to me I'm at a loss as to what is needed etc.

The manual states the default password is admin and passwords is admin, and yet when I tell the software to connect it had Administrator in the user name box, but I've tried all combo's with this and have failed every time, even if I connect directly into the PC via the crossover cable it does the same, so I am not getting any visual response from the DVR, I'm sure it's me getting something wrong, probably the connection method, but I'm at a loss as to where I'm going wrong as I've never done this before, suggestions ?

Thanks for the reply.

Yep already tried that, tried using both typo's, short hand, long hand, capitals and lower case, with and without password filled, makes no difference, it has to be down to how I'm trying to connect, just have no idea why, the router is a Netgear from Sky broadband, I think it's the DG834GT if that helps, but even plugged direct into the PC's Ethernet port it makes no difference.

looks like you need to use the Wave Reader 3 software to interact with it.

page 9 has a table of passwords for you, none are admin:admin

also, make sure you're only using the top right ethernet jack, the others are for keyboards and other devices with RJ45 connectors.

you could also check the feed live when you power it up if you have either a coaxial (screw in) type for your tv, or the svideo cable.

http://www.norbain.co.uk/downloads/manuals...uct_Manual).pdf

Edited by wdeydwondrer

Yes as I said in the first post the software is loaded, but I admit I didn't name it so sorry for the confusion, just so frazzled trying to get to grips with it, but it's via that software I can't connect, and I have no other connections such as SVHS etc to try, and it's page 49 where it lists the passwords in my instructions, but I will definitely check out page 9 when I get a chance after I get back from my quiz, but when you say top right jack, I assume you mean on the back of the DVR ?

Yes the back is very clearly labelled as to which is the Ethernet connector etc, so no chance of me plugging in the wrong one there.

I'm convinced my issue is the physical connection to the computer, but it's beyond me as to what\how to rectify it.

Thanks for the reply.

sorry, didn't see i guess that you said software, lol, just a guess to since i obviously don't have one of these

yes, i'm guessing that would be the back, lol, with the ehternet port. i was just making sure since you can't get it working at all.

but you don't have a tv to test with? are you able to maybe move the unit to a tv, or it's probably already mounted in eh?

other than trying to see if there is a 'reset' button to get back to defualt, i'm not sure what you could do other than contact tech support for the device. since it's giving you the login prompt, you're obviously connecting ok to the device, just sounds like you don't have the appropiate login/pass.

from looking at the manual though, you could try the number passwords in it, and maybe the login name isn't Admin, but installer or operator like was (kinda) suggested in the manual.

• 2 weeks later...

OK finally had a mini victory today, I finally got a cable so I could connect to my TV and see what was occurring, and it seems fine, but I still have a massive learning curve with it to get to grips with it, anyway seeing as how I got it working on the TV I thought try the PC once more, same as previous incorrect password, BUT, I don't know just what made me do it but I clicked on the help file, and what was on the first screen ? you guessed it the default password, crazy thing is this password is not in the manual, but it's so simple I could kick myself if it wouldn't hurt, it's the most basic security code out, yep, 12345, the basic code for Nokia phones ROFL. :rofl2:

Anyway now I have advanced I suspect people will be able to quickly tell me what\how to find out the next step, and thats the ip address, I have tried ALL the addresses in my router, I tried the whats my ip address Addy, tried my phone number, tried the Addy's I saw in the manual but they all came back can't connect, so I'm yet again doing something not quite right, and this must be some kind of networking problem, and TBH I've never got that area under my belt yet which is probably why I'm struggling here.

So any suggestions as to how I find out my DVR's ip address\number ?

I have to basically add addresses to the software of the device(s) so as to connect to them, but I can't be sure where to find such info, any tips on finding out this stuff or even entering it incase I am not using a correct format or something ?