Sign in to follow this  
Jibby

Convert Dynamic disk to Basic disk

I have a hard drive that was connected via my raid card (some cheapo card running the Silicon Image SiI chipset.

In order to use that drive, it had to be converted to a dynamic disk.

I'm ditching my raid card, and XP doesn't like it because it is a dynamic disk, and wants me to format it to be basic.

I can't see the hard drive within My Computer, but I do see it under Disk Management. It wants me to convert it to basic before it is visible within My Computer.

I don't want to reformat the drive because I don't have a backup of all the information, plus it would take a long time to restore it all (roughly 500gbs).

So I'm looking for a way to convert a dynamic disk to a basic disk that will not erase/format the data, and will not require me to be able to see the disk under My Computer.

Any suggestions? Everything I have read either requires a format, or requires the hard drive to be visible under My Comptuer.

You can't.

The conversion is a destructive process.

Actually that isn't the answer...

However, everything I have seen requires you to be able to view the hard drive under My Computer.

and

I can't see the hard drive within My Computer, but I do see it under Disk Management.

The instructions/link would work for me if I could actually see the drive within My Computer.

Any idea if a dynamic disk will display if it is inside an external enclosure?

Edited by Jibby

it seems that After you change a basic disk to a dynamic disk, the dynamic disk cannot be changed directly to the basic disk without third-party tools in case.

In Windows, it is easy to the conversion of basic disk to dynamic disk, but convert dynamic disk to basic disk very annoying. This topic is the summary about converting dynamic to basic disk. There are the three ways to complete this work for you.

Convert to basic disk via deleting all volumes on the dynamic disk.

Convert to basic disk via using Partition Recovery Software.

Convert to basic disk by using Dynamic Disk Converter.

i think this article will give you not much but something you need: Convert dynamic disk to basic disk

Edited by colorful day