Question about Religion

Doesn't the very beauty of Creation make you believe there is a God? There's no way man could make up the beauty that we see all around us.

Yeah and which God created all that...the God that you believe in or the God that the hundreds of other religions believe in?

brandon Posted Today, 04:29 PM

Evolution

Exactly!

Edited by andromeda
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything has to come from something

Not necessarily, we don't know this for sure.

We'll most likely never know what brought about the creation of the universe as no evidence for it exists. Unless we can find some way to interact with fabrics of being beyond the universe, if such a thing exists, we'll have to settle with simply not knowing.

The person speaking never talks about why he wakes up and chooses to live by the bible, and and not the Koran, and no one else does, either.

What I'd like to know, if someone who is religious has never read another religious text other than the faith in which they believe in. And if so, why not? You should be able to challenge your faith.

with regards

Read 'World Religions' by Houston Smith -- it s used in classrooms to teach at colleges and universities.

http://www.hustonsmith.net/book.htm

Try applying the golden rule in everyday life...

"The golden rule is best interpreted as saying: "Treat others only in ways that you're willing to be treated in the same exact situation." To apply it, you'd imagine yourself in the exact place of the other person on the receiving end of the action. If you act in a given way toward another, and yet are unwilling to be treated that way in the same circumstances, then you violate the rule."

http://www.jcu.edu/philosophy/gensler/goldrule.htm

Rev - Roy is practicing the Golden Rule in real time.

If an Agnostic or an Atheist practices the golden rule -- you could never tell if they religious or not....

;)

Bill, believe what you think is right and then you'll begin to find happiness; everyone's guess is equally right/wrong as to what is to come for us after life, and what life is...dare to dream and build your own notions.

My own thought's...Science can't fully explain our existance, and I don't think religion does an adequate enough job explaining it; therefore I believe in some kind of hybrid.

I do believe in 'God', I also think that theories such as big bang, and evolution were likely. My thought is that something had to start it all, if we came from microns floating in space billions of years ago...where did those microns come from? Although I will never know that answer, I think God fills that equation.

Are my thoughts correct? About as correct as anyone elses. I always try to learn what other people think because it helps me grow.

I plan on someday reading all of the holy texts I can. This way, I can have valid insight on many religions. If you have only read one text, opinions are pretty mute in my eyes. I'd be even more interested in hearing stories of people who have converted, or have gone from atheist to religious (I know, rare).

I would definately encourage you to do that Bill, learn all you can; even if at the end of the day you choose to be agnostic, at least you have the information to choose.

I'm 21, I have read much of the bible, the koran and I have read into Scientology...I believe they all have their own merits and are all equally possible based on those merits. I haven't even scratched the surface yet...

It's funny that a fundamental teaching such as the golden rule is the one that I most closely adhere to. Nothing fancy, no complex plots; just a very simple rule, if used to govern your life can make you and everyone else around you happy.

"The golden rule is best interpreted as saying: "Treat others only in ways that you're willing to be treated in the same exact situation." To apply it, you'd imagine yourself in the exact place of the other person on the receiving end of the action. If you act in a given way toward another, and yet are unwilling to be treated that way in the same circumstances, then you violate the rule."

So if you were in the company of a sado-masochist, would it be ok for them to stick needles in you and take a paddle to your rear?

:P

Well, if you believe there is a god, I think it would stem into other things.

God is outside of our logic. We cannot imagine infinite, or timeless. "Time" is something humans interpret in their own way. A god wouldn't think in "time", it would just "be", and have "been".

So if you were in the company of a sado-masochist, would it be ok for them to stick needles in you and take a paddle to your rear?

:P

"The golden rule is best interpreted as saying: "Treat others only in ways that you're willing to be treated in the same exact situation."

The word "willing" presumes you have the wherewithall to reject discomfort of any kind. In fact, there are those who appear to reject comfort as well.

You have a choice. :rolleyes:

Edited by theoldgardener

Don't plan on reading the holy books, read them.

The Earth is an awesome place, how it got here, doesn't matter. Spend some time in nature, hike.....take it all in. We are all a part of it. Breathe, just breathe. We are stardust! I find it all amazing.

Learn about everything you can, never stop asking questions.

I can't prove there is no God and no one can prove there is. I do know there is wisdom and compassion, tolerance, work on qualities like that.

I think of the Amish people, after the school slaughter (Oct,2006). I was touched by their modesty and kindness. They are people of faith and were quick to forgive. A good example of Christians living their beliefs........yet..as well intentioned as they are, I have heard there is another side to their private community. Crimes go unreported, very similar to the Catholic abuse. That makes me sick! Hiding crimes under the cloak of religion.........

I see people here that left religion behind because they saw ,or, were even victims to, a "corrupt, even "criminal" institution".

You can follow the teachings of Christ, or the example of the Dalai Lama. You can be a man of peace or a violent radical of any faith.

People created religion, I find it interesting how cultures developed some kind of a religion to explain their world to them.

A little life lesson: I think of Dorothy, in "The Wizard of Oz". Everything that really mattered to her was already in her life. She just didn't see or understand it. Her friends, family, home, even her little dog, Toto, the life she had was full of everything she needed. Each character thought they were missing something, only to learn they had it inside of them all along.

You are not missing anything, you only have yet to find what is already there. You've been given some good advice. Follow the golden rule(as suggested), read and explore......

There is more to this world than any of us can come close to understanding. I want there to be heaven, because I know so many people who deserve heaven. I want there to be a loving God, who will take away the cruelty in the hearts of men. I want to be forgiven for the hurt I have caused. I don't want anyone to give up their faith. As much as I would like it, I just don't believe.

Where did God come from? Has God revealed his origin in any religion? What religion would God be? To say God thinks ,personifies God, would he think like us? Who does God look up to? On and on...

Someday this world will pass away and all we built will be forgotten, returned to the universe and maybe a billionth Big Bang. All I know is that I have today, I plan to make the best of it.

I hope you find what you are looking for. I think we are all still asking questions.

Where did Chuck Norris come from?

Brandon has a purpose, I don't know what is is, but, I have no doubt he will find it!! He makes me laugh,he's a good person, I'm sure his friends think he's all that and a bag of chips! Seems like a good purpose so far......

Well, if you believe there is a god, I think it would stem into other things.

God is outside of our logic. We cannot imagine infinite, or timeless. "Time" is something humans interpret in their own way. A god wouldn't think in "time", it would just "be", and have "been".

To exist inside or interact with our universe, you must adhere to the limits of time. Think of it in the same terms as space and probability. They are fundamental parts of our universe, utterly inescapable.

Infinities do not exist. Infinity is merely a notion that we sometimes reference. Nothing is infinite.

To exist inside or interact with our universe, you must adhere to the limits of time. Think of it in the same terms as space and probability. They are fundamental parts of our universe, utterly inescapable.

Infinities do not exist. Infinity is merely a notion that we sometimes reference. Nothing is infinite.

I don't think you can prove that. Time is a measurement, it's not a physical thing, you can keep adding on to it, +1, +1. Just like distance, +1, +1 forever.

There are laws of physics and how matter behaves, then there are theories.

I missed where there are no infinities and that it is only a notion. I don't think it is a settled on idea. Is the universe expanding? How far, how fast, how much longer? Does it curve ala Einstein? Does it occupy a defined plane. I think space is possibly infinite and new rules and theories will be needed to quantify it. We are only beginning to understand the universe, it's way too early in such a young science to explain it all yet.

I was taught matter exists, it changes form, but it doesn't cease to exist. Down to the tiniest particle of an atom, matter will still exists.(then there is string theory) Isn't that infinite? In math there is infinity.

If you would have a boundary that cannot be passed, what would that be? What is on the other side of that "limit"?

And we think the God subject is tough, try physics!

im consider my self Catholic but to a point i am not... i do not go to church much (only on easter and christmas) i dont pray everynight and i dont do the whole fish friday thing but i do bleave in god and the saints and Guadalupe yea it makes me feel better when i do pray and i feel better when somthing bad happens and i know there is someone watching over me =) and when i do go to church and when i leave i feel like a new person

I don't think you can prove that. Time is a measurement, it's not a physical thing, you can keep adding on to it, +1, +1. Just like distance, +1, +1 forever.

Space and time are a single thing, spacetime. It is thought to be possible that a curvature of spacetime, created by matter, is what creates gravity. It is an actual thing, part of the fabric of the universe. I believe most of that sort of thing is covered in General Relativity.

Probability as a fundamental mechanic can be found in quantum physics.

Both of those have received nothing but affirmation for 70 or so years. It's not avant garde physics or anything.

Space and time are a single thing, spacetime. It is thought to be possible that a curvature of spacetime, created by matter, is what creates gravity. It is an actual thing, part of the fabric of the universe. I believe most of that sort of thing is covered in General Relativity.

Probability as a fundamental mechanic can be found in quantum physics.

Both of those have received nothing but affirmation for 70 or so years. It's not avant garde physics or anything.

Matter does not create anything and gravity has to do with mass. I resectfully disagree.

Matter does not create anything and gravity has to do with mass. I resectfully disagree.

here's an illustration of what he's talking about. see how the mass of the space objects cause a "dip" in space? that is gravity. and you're right, it's not caused by matter but mass. however, matter has mass, and it's related.

http://oz.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1997-06-30/gravity.jpg

BB, I understand the illustration, and the dips, the curvature of space is a different thing, the entire universe being curved like a taco, then if wormholes existed you could take shortcuts through space, fold a piece of paper in half and poke a pencil through it, paper being space. I am not sure I buy that theory, but smarter people than me have come up with it. If ya want talk gravity, let's look at blackholes. We can't see them, we observe the behavior of objects and light as they are sucked up in the area of the suspected blackhole. :yikes: Not even light escapes. That has to do with density and mass.

It's amazing!!! Then there is attraction, magnetism, I think that also has a role in those dips in space.

Gravitational force = (G * m1 * m2) / (d2)

Each particle of matter attracts every other particle with a force which is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

How Stuff Works.com