Change Mode

Question about Religion

our sun has been shinning for 5 million thousand years

it will shine for 5 million thousand years more

And then grow into a red giant, eventually boiling every planet close enough to it, and then it will cool down, and fade out of existence.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bruce...Needless to say I think organized religion is the biggest farce, scam, and hypocritical thing there ever was.

Exactly..... :clap:

I was raised as a strict fish-on-Friday, confession on Saturday, Sunday School, Roman Catholic.

Other than the Monsignor knocking up the Rectory housekeeper, and the CYO baseball coach wanting to help kids adjust their jockstraps, there are many many reasons I drifted away from the church. I won't ramble on about it.

Bill, if you believe there is a God, and he is everywhere, then just talk to him from anywhere you please.

If you pray before bedtime like alot of kids are taught to do, then you don't need to go to some building on Saturday or Sunday to pray again, just because someone says it is the "House of God".

Needless to say I think organized religion is the biggest farce, scam, and hypocritical thing there ever was.

Perhaps my views are tainted, but I have seen nothing in my life time to convince me otherwise.

Never has a truer word been spoken. I am a Christian, I believe the Bible is the Word of God, and Jesus is the Son of God who died for us and rose again, but I don't go to any church anymore after over 40 years of going to church. Christianity should not be a religion, it's about a relationship with Jesus Christ. You are so right Bruce - it's because man has made the church and put his ideas in it that it's no longer what it was meant to be.

I love this signature of theoldgardener - "I love your Christ! I don't like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." That is exactly why you need to read the Bible for yourself, starting with the New Testament and what Jesus says, not look to other "Christians".

I'm a fence sitter regarding God, and religion itself.

Whether it was from getting hit by a speeding truck with no helmet on, being held underwater until I was unconscious, watching myself bleed profusely after getting a tomato stake lodged in between my eyes, or the many other times I should have been killed, but ended up getting through relatively unscathed, it makes me think there is a God, and it also makes me think God's got plans for me.

But, in order for me to truly believe something, I need hard evidence.

Edited by brandon

I'm a fence sitter regarding God, and religion itself.

Whether it was from getting hit by a speeding truck with no helmet on, being held underwater until I was unconscious, watching myself bleed profusely after getting a tomato stake lodged in between my eyes, or the many other times I should have been killed, but ended up getting through relatively unscathed, it makes me think there is a God, and it also makes me think God's got plans for me.

But, in order for me to truly believe something, I need hard evidence.

Not having what you call hard evidence is what some call the mystery of faith. In Jesus time some saw the miracles and believed, greater yet are those who have not seen yet believe. While Jesus may not be here physically he is here with us as the Holy Spirit in us. He still performs miracles today through us. I heard a preacher at a Memorial Service a while back and he said "There is a reason out of all the funerals we have all attended none of them were out own. God still has a plan for us".

I'm an atheist. The way I perceive and think about things wouldn't permit anything else. Faith is something that I just cannot do. I've replaced it with cold and uncaring logic through and through, and only pay attention to objective reality, that which we know is true.

This view makes us spectacularly un-special, which can easily lead to a nihilistic approach, but some semblance of altruism is deeply implanted within us due to the way our species evolved. We had to care about others in order for us to survive some hundred thousand years ago because we worked in small, interdependent societies. If we didn't, then we died. As such, we are all ancestors of creatures who used altruism as a survival instinct, and it stays with us to this day. Like many things we retain from those days, the notion has become a bit dated in our rapidly-changing societies, but it is far from completely obsolete.

Our life is what we make of it. It doesn't need some higher meaning, and I don't need to look forward to a beautiful afterlife. As far as I'm concerned, there is no afterlife. I'd much rather do what I can to make life, the one we know we have, enjoyable for both myself and others.

I just see no reason to believe that some magical creature created us. It's largely irrelevant to us and the way we live our lives. It might as well not exist, so it probably doesn't.

i chose that path at one point, knowing things like birth for example, the life force in that newborn, in us, science cannot explain it, living animated flesh, what powers us, our soul/ spirit, we live and die, where does that energy go when the human body can no longer hold it, we can't explain it, can only assume its a separation between body and spirit.

there is something magical and powerful that we cannot ignore :)

i chose that path at one point, knowing things like birth for example, the life force in that newborn, in us, science cannot explain it, living animated flesh, what powers us, our soul/ spirit, we live and die, where does that energy go when the human body can no longer hold it, we can't explain it, can only assume its a separation between body and spirit.

there is something magical and powerful that we cannot ignore :)

Or we can say it doesn't exist because it doesn't. There's absolutely nothing magical about it. It's merely a very complex chain of interdependent chemical reactions. Death is merely the ceasing of those reactions, and there is no such thing as a spirit or life force to go anywhere afterwards.

The illusion of consciousness that we experience via all of our senses is a very good one because we never experience anything else. It can make us believe such nonsensical things.

Plus, there is the fact that cancer cells are immortal. Provided they have a proper food source, they will never stop dividing, which means they will live on forever. The same can go for humans. If we can remove the limit on cell division, and create new brain cells to replace the ones that die, we can live forever.

Edited by brandon

Why do people believe what they believe?...well for the most part people believe what they are raised to believe. I believed in Christianity for a long time until I realized there was nothing to believe in..all the praying in the world was never answered...then as I got older and wiser I realized that there are 100s of religions and they can't all be the right way but everyone believes that their way is the right way...so then I just realized that people just believe what their parents teach them to believe. I have never in my life seen anything that makes me believe there's a God.

There are good responses in this thread. I am not looking for direction or life advice. I believe a question like this could be beneficial to everyone. I wanted this to be more of a "look inside yourself and share your beliefs" topic. I feel it is easier to ask on a forum, because in real if people usually get uncomfortable (for some very weird reason), or sometimes are even offended by questions on their religion.

Personally, I believe organized religion has caused almost all of the greatest evils throughout history. I also believe some morales that come with religions can be damaging. Every time I have gone to a church (christian), I hear about god, and Jesus Christ. How he exists because of the beauty around us, etc. The person speaking never talks about why he wakes up and chooses to live by the bible, and and not the Koran, and no one else does, either. It seems that people use logic only within their faiths to prove their faiths, this is what I do not understand. What inspires you to keep on believing in a certain, organized religion over every other certain, organized religion? Isn't it healthy to question your faith for validity?

Maybe my question makes no sense at all.

Edited by lilbill08

I plan on someday reading all of the holy texts I can. This way, I can have valid insight on many religions. If you have only read one text, opinions are pretty mute in my eyes. I'd be even more interested in hearing stories of people who have converted, or have gone from atheist to religious (I know, rare).

people usually get uncomfortable (for some very weird reason), or sometimes are even offended by questions on their religion.

only reason for that is they don't know, don't want to discuss something they have no answer to, use excuses to cover up the fact that they are followers and whip out the offended story to kill the conversation :)

I'd be even more interested in hearing stories of people who have converted, or have gone from atheist to religious (I know, rare).

They're not as rare as you think.

As a matter of fact, there may be some guy named brandon on a forum named PCPitstop Forums, who went from atheist to religious, and to fence sitting. ;)

Of course, I am once again at a point in my life where I don't know what to believe. And my behind hurts. :(

Edited by brandon