Change Mode

ATTN: Miggs78... June 2008: The 8800's days are numbered

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/14162

The first two of the seven will supposedly have 40 stream processors each, while the 4600 series will have 240, the 4800 series will have 480, and the 4870 X2 will sport a total of 960 SPs. Graphics core clock speeds for the 4400 models aren't listed, but other models will apparently run between 800MHz and 1050MHz. As for memory specs, those will range from 128MB of DDR2 with a 128-bit bus on the 4450 to 1GB of GDDR5 with a 256-bit bus on the 4870, and double the 4870's specs for the 4870 X2. Overall, Hartware.de says we can expect the 4870 to offer maximum floating point processing power of just over one teraFLOPS—roughly twice that of the existing 3870.

Looks like the 8800's days as king are numbered. Just imagine the raw power available to you with two 4870X2s in CrossfireX. The 4800 is supposed to be 2x as powerful as the 3870, so two of those will be 8x as powerful as a single 3870 in terms of sheer processing power.

More info: http://www.nordichardware.com/news,7356.html

And if they fix the slowdowns with anti-aliasing, there will be no stopping it.

Edited by brandon

2009 is a wait, but by then I will be ready for a full system change.

Nahelm, if AMD doesnt pull off a winner by then, two of those 4870x2, DDR3 at a real Price, intels new chipset after X48, All good. :P

AMD won't have something to answer Nehalem by 2009. They just came out with Phenom, and new CPUs take years to make, from planning to completion. Now, 2010 and beyond, with AMD's direction, Intel and nVidia will really have to step their game up. Fusion, GPGPU, neither Intel, nor nVidia have anything to compete with that for the time being.

As it stands, even though Intel has better products, I think AMD is the more important company, since they are forced to innovate. All Intel has to do is pull a Pentium 2 > Pentium 3, and they will still make money, even though the Pentium 3 was nothing more than an overpriced incremental update.

Edited by brandon

AMD won't have something to answer Nehalem by 2009. They just came out with Phenom, and new CPUs take years to make, from planning to completion. Now, 2010 and beyond, with AMD's direction, Intel and nVidia will really have to step their game up. Fusion, GPGPU, neither Intel, nor nVidia have anything to compete with that for the time being.

As it stands, even though Intel has better products, I think AMD is the more important company, since they are forced to innovate. All Intel has to do is pull a Pentium 2 > Pentium 3, and they will still make money, even though the Pentium 3 was nothing more than an overpriced incremental update.

Personally, I like the Phenom price/performance setup.

The Spider will cost about $1500 max for a good setup, the intel one will be about $2k+

AMD/ATI is pulling off some stunts now. I think the 3870 launched faster then I knew much about it, and I was impressed even though it was slower then the 88GT still.

Drop in power needs, 55nm, lower heat, PCI 2.0, a big step from the 2900 that came out months before.

They just need drivers.

Brandon, what drivers you using

I am using 8.2. Due to the architecture of the 2x, and 3x series, newer drivers could possibly have better/faster compilers, which leads to better performance, so I always use the latest drivers.

B3 Phenoms are slated to come out soon, and once the overhyped TLB bug is out of the way, we can see some real benchmarks, since it was also keeping Phenom from scaling as high as AMD would have liked.

I just might go the AMD route, should I build a quadcore rig. You just can't beat a $140 quadcore processor. That particular Phenom, plus a motherboard will cost less than a single quadcore processor from Intel, and can be overclocked to about 2.6Ghz, which will put it in the league with the Q6600. Not bad for something costing $120 less.

Edited by brandon

I am using 8.2. Due to the architecture of the 2x, and 3x series, newer drivers could possibly have better/faster compilers, which leads to better performance, so I always use the latest drivers.

B3 Phenoms are slated to come out soon, and once the overhyped TLB bug is out of the way, we can see some real benchmarks, since it was also keeping Phenom from scaling as high as AMD would have liked.

I just might go the AMD route, should I build a quadcore rig. You just can't beat a $140 quadcore processor. That particular Phenom, plus a motherboard will cost less than a single quadcore processor from Intel, and can be overclocked to about 2.6Ghz, which will put it in the league with the Q6600. Not bad for something costing $120 less.

and to get the Q6600 to clock past 3ghz, you need much better cooling while the AMD can pace that at a not so extreme temp.

I think I am gonna build my little bro a spider, but I have a P35 and a GTX lying around for him. :unsure:

and to get the Q6600 to clock past 3ghz, you need much better cooling while the AMD can pace that at a not so extreme temp.

Maybe with the X2, but certainly not with Phenom.

Stick with the P35. It's a lot simpler to buy a processor, than to buy a motherboard, and a processor.

Edited by brandon

Back to the topic at hand... I really look forward to the 4000 series. 480 stream processors, double the TMUs, GDDR5, but still the same amount of ROPs. I'd be surprised if this doesn't beat the 8800.

Not to mention when the client is available for it, the amount of folding power available at your disposal is just incredible.

I look forward to it too Brandon.. But I have mentioned many times, this is just for forum wars.. 2009 is still away.. I also said if I had I'll get a Crossfire supported mobo. Honestly Nvidia and Intel boards are getting knocked hard by crossfire powered boards like P35 and X38...

Only reason I am keeping this board is because I decided to SLI..

Oh and btw nice title, got me tempted right away :lol:

Am I missing something? According to the article, it says they are coming out in June of this year.

Oops sorry misread :blushing: .. But still Forum Wars march 14 deadline for upgrade I believe, you know brandon.. :shifty:

What?

If you really want high clocks with weak cooling, stay with dual cores. A 5000+ BE from AMD or an E8400 from Intel would be the best bets there. Or just wait for the Q9450 coming at some time, that will clock past 3 GHz on air with ease. But uh, my B3 Xeon 3220 (Q6600 equivalent) went to 3.3 GHz on air cooling, and the newer G0 versions go higher. I know several people running 24/7 at 100% load ([email protected]) with Q6600s at 3.6 GHz or more on Thermalright Ultra120's.

Anyway on topic, I can't wait to grab a 4870X2 (or two of them). It will also be interesting to see nVidia's real next generation GPU (not the 9800GX2) to see what it will offer, although the ability to use dual cards without an nFarce motherboard pulls me towards ATI.