Change Mode

Can you help me get some food? Spare some change?

I buy food,..... One time i sat and had lunch with a bum. After talking to him over lunch, I took him with me back to work and guess what ???. He's one of our BEST workers, He will be going on 2yrs with us. He just needed someone to give him a job. :b33r:

Wayne... I loved that story.

I have a hard time saying no to somebody who is hungry. I won't give them money cause its usually not spent on food, but if I can, I will give somebody food. There's been times in my life I've had to ask for something to eat and it was really demeaning. Never had to live on the street but theres been a few times where the electric bill or rent cut into grocery money and I just didnt have much left over for food.

Unless a person has suffered, or first hand suffering of others in need, I think its easier to turn your head to it. I've never had much and probably won't ever, but if somebody approaches me hungry I'm gonna figure out a way to give them something even if its just a burger on the dollar menu. Society as a whole have started to become immune to their fellow man/woman/child.

Yes there are alcoholics/druggies etc living on the streets, but have you ever asked any of them why they are there? Some are Veterans, some have mental issues like schizophrenia, some were abused most of their life and can't cope with the trauma, some are folks who live paycheck to paycheck and perhaps lost their job. Some don't have family who cares, some folks are truly all alone in this world.

So as I said, I don't have money to contribute I do well to get by myself, but I'd spring for a double cheese and some fries for just about anyone and it would make me feel good the rest of the day because of it. :)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's hard. Buying someone food, that's easy enough... someone asking for money on the other hand, that's another thing entirely. Some of the people who come up to me asking for money aren't homeless (they're wearing upperclass clothes) and after questioning one once, I found out they were just too lazy to walk to the ATM.

I've never had someone come up to me asking for food before (from the sounds of it, the rate of homelessness here in Brisbane is far less than many places overseas) but I would most certainly get them something if they did. What goes around comes around and it's a good feeling knowing you've helped someone.

with regards

i just walk on by the people, in my area, we get the same people couple times a year. they travel all over and "begging" is their job. They make pretty good money for just standing there really. it's funny though when i'm in my car at the light, and they get a call on their nice new razor....

edit>> and you know, with having at least 3 homeless and food shelters in town here, i don't really feel sorry for these people that simply won't go to them. they cry that life is so bad and hard on them, well.... what are you doing to change that? holding a sign up on the road?

Edited by wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer everyone forgets or simply do not know about these shelters and end up giving these homeless people money or food not knowing that they are headed to the liquior store to buy a pint when they have enough money. the bad part about it, the problem expands when someone offers anything, next thing you know they are everywhere begging, that becomes a problem, i am sorry to say this but life isn't that easy, doctors don't give alcoholics new livers !

Everyone forgets that not every community has or provides such services.

Everyone forgets that shelters don't always have enough food for everyone that shows up.

Everyone forgets that shelters don't have enough bed space for all the homeless.

Everyone forgets that shelters are often more dangerous then the streets.

Everyone forgets that many shelters won't take "families".

Everyone forgets that some people truly are in need.

The saddest thing I see in this thread, is pretty much this.

People are selfish, uncaring, rude, and in general ignorant to the situation across the country when it comes to the real homeless, and people in need.

Every single one of you had better pray to GOD that you never loose your job, never loose your home, never loose your health, and never loose.

Because if you do, when you go seeking help, you will likely encounter a lot of arrogant :filtered: who can't see past their selfish little world, because it is so clouded with generalizations and preconceived ideas about people that they can't see it in their hearts to help a fellow human being in need.

Aren't you proud?

According to the V.A., some 196,000 veterans of all ages were homeless on any given night in 2006.

I avoid Downtown Cincinnati, where most of the homeless people reside, so I rarely run in to the to give them anything. But I do donate any unused clothing, and lots of canned goods, since they always sit in the cupboard for weeks on end, with nobody eating them.

Edited by brandon

i like that response bruce, most of your responses are very clear and make a whole lot of sense, this country has too many variables, some places could be worse then others.

heck, some cities have higher crime rates due to drugs and alcohol, those places anyone would assume the homeless person being a crack addict, ones that pan handle in gas stations trying to earn money by washing your car with a dirty rag to go and buy some rocks :lol:

walk out after paying for your gas forgetting to put your change in your pocket and someone snatches from your hand then taking off like a track sprinter, mite as well forget about that money because your not catching him, if you do decide to give chase be prepared to get attacked in the dark streets you decided to go to in search of the thief !

end up handing out then you are surrounded by many seconds later, they go threw your pockets against your will possibly harming you in some way because you showed resistance .

If you are stupid enough to chase a criminal for some loose change that they grab, then you are either more ignorant then the average selfish person, are realllllyyyyy stupid, or pocket change means more to you then living life.

exactly, now the fella that had the guts snatching that ten spot out of someones hand could be the same fella asking for help in a decent part of town, just because he is asking for help in a better environment doesn't necessarily mean him being there is legitimate :)

Desperate people sometimes resort to desperate measures.

You apparently have never known what it is like to be cold, homeless, and hungry.

Usually the homeless who resort to stealing do so because there isn't much hope left in them after experiencing the humiliation that people put them through.

You apparently have never known what it is like to be cold, homeless, and hungry.

i am not a shamed to tell anyone, i was homeless for one and a half years :mrsgreen: , slept on cold steps, thank goodness for police stations and fire departments and churches, they let me sleep on the floor in the halls, gave me food and let me use the facilities

i said it, the whole world knows now.

its a touchy subject that can mean many things when we say homeless, theres good people and bad people, some didn't want it, some just don't care if they are homeless because they choose to live that way, its difficult sorting that out, you cant always just give to anyone, let them have the will and strength to succeed on there own, they can do what i did, i got cleaned up and found another job, i fried chicken in a roy rogers resturant, went to work with holes in my shoes and management not understanding that i needed my first pay check to buy a pair, one of the other employees offered me an extra pair, rob, i thank him to this day, eventually i was able to save up for an apartment and went back to school, i did this because being homeless/ bum is a cruel and lonely life to live.

Bruce has a point. We are living in a world that has its priorities all screwed up. Big corporations are whoring themselves out to the highest bidder (our government included), nobody has the gumption to want things to change, and we are living in an era where patching things up with the root of all evil is all too common.

Instead of actually encouraging people in need to change their lives, the government throws money at them, or they expect to have money thrown at them.

Edit: Whoring isn't censored, but another term for mammary glands is?

Edited by brandon

making 3.10 an hour frying chicken certainly pushed me to better and greater achievements, thats for sure, walking for miles too, because you can't afford bus fare, i just had to better myself, i knew for a fact no one would drive me or lend me the money and if they did it would last but so long :)

You are so wrong !!. Bums and the homeless can't get a job, Its because the way they look. Dirty unshaved and they smell. If they do show up for work ?? I'll give them a advance in their pay ,So they can get cleaned up ,

too bad i never seen you around, i can imagine how much easier things would be.

What about bums that have decent sets of clothing that can be easily obtained via goodwill, the freestore/foodbank, homeless shelters, or the many other means people with little to no income have available to them to obtain goods? And if there is a homeless shelter available for them to access, I am sure they can get cleaned up.

If someone is a good worker, should it matter how they smell, or if they are not clean shaven? I don't think so, but everyone else I know seems to.

Society today is too focused on appearance, and not focused enough on the real world.

Edited for clarity

Edited by brandon

yes brandon i was told to remove the growth off my face, i know i smelled because i didn't have deodorant, but i washed up as much as possible, the job provided the uniform and that was deducted from several paychecks, my hair was long, i was able to get my cap to cover it, that was part of the uniform .

brandon, anyone can get a job, god helps those that help their selves :)

god is supposed to help everyone

if your poor and do nothing about it then thats the choice you make

i knew a fellow that hangs around kfc at closing time

the leftover chicken is thrown out

he grabs the bags and him and his buddies have a feast

a local donut shop does the same

an over weight guy asked me for food in the subway in edmonton one time

to me he did not look like he was starving ....

i said to him get a job and to have a sense of pride

i said to him get a job and to have a sense of pride

Ever try to get a job when you don't have an address or telephone?

Ever try to be proud when everywhere you go, arrogant people belittle you, ignore you, pretend you don't exist, or have nothing to offer but rude remarks ?

Ever try to get a job when you don't have an address or telephone?

Ever try to be proud when everywhere you go, arrogant people belittle you, ignore you, pretend you don't exist, or have nothing to offer but rude remarks ?

my first job out of any town was cutting and hauling timber out of the bush

had no phone ...not even electricity ..only eat what mother nature provided

sugar was like a gift from heaven

my second job was in the city of toronto

unloading transports for some factory on weston road

didnt even have social insurance number

guess i was one of the fortunate ones

yes i know about ignorant people they are everywhere

Edited by mme

when jobs were available whether it was mining or construction

all you needed was a good srong back and the will to work hard

but to operate machinery you needed grade 10

but now today they want everyone trained and certified

and you need your grade 12 diploma

other careers require university and law school..medical school

and thats the way it is now days

trained and certified

to operate a chainsaw you need a license

the work force has become so competitive

Edited by mme

yea it was rough growing up in the poor house

and when i did get a job it was like living from paycheck to pay check

and i did not have the bills i have today

today its electrical bills ..phone bills...satellite..internet ...vehicle payments...and on and on