Where's the data on my DVD-RW gone? PLEASE HELP!

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 PC and am running Windows XP. I have a problem which I'm really panicking about! I added some new jpg files to my 2007 photos DVD-RW disc using Nero Express. When I selected Add files, it did the usual of showing me what was on the disc already so I just added the files I needed to burn and burnt them. I watched as a further 10 files were added.

However, when I put my disc back into either drive, cd or dvd, none of them plays the disc. They both say it's blank! When I view the disc through Nero InfoTool, it says

DVD-RW

Capacity 2.34GB

Layers 1

Blank capacity n/a

Content:

File system ISO9660, Joliet

Title: 2007pix

Date 28 December 2007

Application: Nero Burning Rom

So it's reading the disc name but no data on it. Have I done something wrong here? Can anyone help me somehow as to how I can actually get my pictures back, if indeed I have lost them somehow? Even if it means some sort of file recovery program?

I downloaded the trial version of Windows File Recover and it's taken overnight to find the lost files. The blurb said it would take minutes. And now that it's found 221 of them, it won't let me recover with the trial version. I have to buy it which I don't mind BUT that means waiting for them to send me a package in the mail AND I've got all my files listed in an open window at the moment. If I quit it, I'll lose the files it's already found and would probably have to start from scratch again. Can't contact them by phone either! Was hoping I could buy and download the full version today so as not to discard the current found files.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to recover these files NOW or over the weekend?

Any advice appreciated as I'm almost frantic here as they're REALLY important and irreplaceable files.

Thanks.

Edited by celineg

if they're ir-replaceable, i'd switch to using burn once DVD=/-R discs so you won't have this problem again. stick with verbatim or a better media also.

it sounds like when you went to put ur data on it, u may have accidently formated it, or it's just a cheap disc.

:geezer:

I don't think I can help you out to recover them, but can say this for the Future?

I am not sure of your System or what HDD Space you have? I have a 200G Western split into 5x40G Partitions. If you don't have that sort of space, I would suggest adding another HDD as a Slave to give you more room. You will be Surprised at what you will get for well under $100, then Split it into Partitions. Each one becomes a separate Drive.

If I want to work on a CD/DVD, I never add onto the old one. I save it into a Folder on one of the other Drives and call it, for example, "My Program New" then add all the rest that I want to burn onto that same File. Then go into Nero and Burn it. If something goes wrong, it is still there and the Original Disk is still intact. It just increases your chances if it is critical Stuff?

If it is successful, burn a second Copy, file it and then delete the File.

Using rewrite on Disks is just as chancey as on Floppys, Mate, some times it works, most times chancey!

If you own a Computer, get used to doing Back Ups on Critical Stuff, Mate!

You can Back up so much on your HDD as long as it is seperate to your Operating System in another Partition.

:sparkle::wub::sparkle:

Edited by Drovers Dog

Thanks guys. I have some more info PLUS another query if you don't mind reading this too!

I'll definitely be investing in an external hard drive soon! The disc I use are actually Verbatim ones.

Someone mentioned to me maybe it was because it was burnt with Nero and not finalized. So I tried to finalize it but Nero wouldn't give me that option on its own. Nero Burning Rom recognises 1 very long track on the disc so there is data on there. I just don't know how/what to open it with. I ran it through DVD decrypter which would only let me save it as an ISO file, which I did and then I tried extracting the individual files from there with MagicISO. MagicISO said there was nothing on the disc either, again, even though it is a very LARGE iso file! I burnt a second, finalized disc with Nero, MagicISO said it wasn't a bootable disc and "failed to open ISO file". So I'm kinda giving up on the DVD-RW.

Have also bought File Saver. It did find all the deleted jpg files but not the .avi ones. File saver even recovered the folder structure for me BUT when I try to open any of the .jpg files, it automatically opens Nero Photosnap View and says either the plug in is missing, corrupt or invalid! I uninstalled and reinstalled Nero 7 Premium - same thing happened! None of my other photo viewer apps will open them either! So I'm kinda putting the recovered files aside too. Oh and not only did I recover them from my hard drive....but also from the camera XD card! Still, none will open.

LASTLY - AND TO MY QUESTION NOW.......I did actually use all the originals to create a DVD with 15 photo albums (as slideshows) and 6 videos with Nero Vision. This plays as a DVD and it's all my original photos on it. However, when I explore the disc, it's just full of Video TS files so is there any way I can actually convert back to jpg and avi OR extract jpg/avi from the video TS files?

LASTLY - I have them stored on a public website but they all have copyright banners on them. I could save them all individually from there but that would also mean having to trim out the copyrights too...and the quality is diminished ....and they were shrunk by the website when loaded up.

Having them stored in other formats elsewhere and really wanting to gather everything together first is why I just burnt to DVD-RW as data. Once all together, I normally then burn the lot to DVD-R so it can't be overwritten.

So can anyone help with my other potential options please??????

PHEW! I've been at this day!!!

Cheers.......

I have a Dell Dimension 5150 PC and am running Windows XP. I have a problem which I'm really panicking about! I added some new jpg files to my 2007 photos DVD-RW disc using Nero Express. When I selected Add files, it did the usual of showing me what was on the disc already so I just added the files I needed to burn and burnt them. I watched as a further 10 files were added.

However, when I put my disc back into either drive, cd or dvd, none of them plays the disc. They both say it's blank! When I view the disc through Nero InfoTool, it says

DVD-RW

Capacity 2.34GB

Layers 1

Blank capacity n/a

Content:

File system ISO9660, Joliet

Title: 2007pix

Date 28 December 2007

Application: Nero Burning Rom

So it's reading the disc name but no data on it. Have I done something wrong here? Can anyone help me somehow as to how I can actually get my pictures back, if indeed I have lost them somehow? Even if it means some sort of file recovery program?

I downloaded the trial version of Windows File Recover and it's taken overnight to find the lost files. The blurb said it would take minutes. And now that it's found 221 of them, it won't let me recover with the trial version. I have to buy it which I don't mind BUT that means waiting for them to send me a package in the mail AND I've got all my files listed in an open window at the moment. If I quit it, I'll lose the files it's already found and would probably have to start from scratch again. Can't contact them by phone either! Was hoping I could buy and download the full version today so as not to discard the current found files.

Anyone got any ideas on what I can do to recover these files NOW or over the weekend?

Any advice appreciated as I'm almost frantic here as they're REALLY important and irreplaceable files.

Thanks.

How about this program? It sounds like the one you need, DiskInternals CD & DVD Recovery 3.1

Recover lost/corrupted files on CDs and DVDs!

@ http://www.diskinternals.com/ I've never used it but I hear about it now and then and it looks like you can try it out for free.

XillianIX....I checked it out, downloaded the trial and was stunned that it found all 1822 files, jpg's and avi's!

You can preview each in the trial version but not actually recover them. To buy it only cost about $40 which I thought worth it. So I did, registered it and recovered them all! GENIUS!! This was exactly what I needed and I'm very very grateful for your suggestion. You're a lifesaver.....THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

And it only took about 5 minutes to scan and find....and it was really easy to use, very self explanatory. I'd recommend it to anyone with the same problem.

Best wishes...Céline

Edited by celineg