Sign in to follow this  
brunaghot

Can't Uninstall AVG

First I`d like to warn you all that I`m just a beginner here, please be patient.

I have a computer (with Win XP Starter Edition) that came with AVG installed but recently it was with an error and wasn't updating anymore, I tried to do it manually through the Grisoft site and even to download the 7.5 version. Nothing worked so I went and got Avast and it managed to detect 2 viruses.

But the pc became super slow and I read somewhere that it wasn't good to have two antiviruses running simultaneously. The problem is that now I can't uninstall AVG:

It doesn't show in that remove and install Control Panel tool;

in the program folder there isn't any recognizable uninstalling file;

and the uninstalling way I found everywhere, telling you to download the the last installation file run it and chose the uninstalling option, doesn`t work either because it asks for a key I don`t have before it starts.

So, any help here? I'm lost...

Edited by brunaghot

Is your computer still going slow? If so you may want to post a HJT log in the appropriate forum..

Is AVG still running/working? for the mean time, if you can disable any real-time protection for it then do so because it will contribute to a slow computer. Someone else will know how to get rid of it.

Note: don't disable avast. Try looking for the uninstall file in C:\>Program Files>Grisoft

Edited by adam22

Try this

Boot your computer into Safemode

* Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart

* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly.

* This will bring up a menu.

* Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Safemode

* Then press the Enter on your Keyboard

Tutorial if you need it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View tab:

[*]Under the Hidden files and folders heading:

[*]Select - Show hidden files and folders.

[*]Uncheck- Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

[*]Also, make sure there is no checkmark beside Hide file extensions for known file types.

[*] Click OK. (Remember to Hide files and folders once done)

Using Windows Explorer (right-click your "Start" button and select "Explore"), please navigate to and delete the following files/folders in bold

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7 <--delete the folder and reboot your machine

Adam,

It got better after running Optimize and Ad Aware but it's still way too slow.

I don't know how active AVG really is, it`s icon is greyed out most of the time but it does scans once in a while. Hopefuly Juliet`s advice will work, thanks!

Edited by brunaghot

Try this

Boot your computer into Safemode

* Go to Start> Shut Off your Computer> Restart

* As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly.

* This will bring up a menu.

* Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Safemode

* Then press the Enter on your Keyboard

Tutorial if you need it

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial61.html

How to start Windows in Safe Mode

Go to My Computer->Tools->Folder Options->View tab:

[*]Under the Hidden files and folders heading:

[*]Select - Show hidden files and folders.

[*]Uncheck- Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.

[*]Also, make sure there is no checkmark beside Hide file extensions for known file types.

[*] Click OK. (Remember to Hide files and folders once done)

Using Windows Explorer (right-click your "Start" button and select "Explore"), please navigate to and delete the following files/folders in bold

C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7 <--delete the folder and reboot your machine

I'm having a problem with the Safe Mode ><;

In the menu that shows up it says:

Please select boot device

-WDC WD400 BB-00JHC0

-LIFE-ON CD-RW SOHR-5239v

-1st FLOPPY DRIVE

Which one is the Safe Mode one?

Sorry..

WDC WD400 is the hard drive (select it)

As long as XP is running I find the free program BootSafe easy to use to access Safe Mode.

Alright, I got into safe mode (thanks Law!), changed those settings and got to the AVG folder. But when I tried to delete it, after a warning saying that it may not be safe to do so, another warning came up saying that avg7log.log was being used (and I had already exited AVG) and couldn't be deleted stopping the whole thing. :thud:

Read over this link first....It's a FAQ's and answers from Grisoft

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/51/us/crp/0/num/288

You can also try these manual methods

Open Task Manager:

If exist, End Process:

avgemc.exe

avgamsver.exe

avgupsvc.exe

avgcc.exe

If exist, delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\AVG7

C:\Windows\Application Data\AVG7

Navigate to the AVG installation folder: The default path is C:\program files\grisoft\avg free

Locate and run the setup.exe file. One of the options will be to uninstall AVG. Select that and make sure you check 'remove all user settings'.

If the folder doesn't exist, download the latest AVG package from

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

and run it and select Uninstall from the setup wizard.

Read over this link first....It's a FAQ's and answers from Grisoft

http://www.grisoft.com/doc/51/us/crp/0/num/288

You can also try these manual methods

Open Task Manager:

If exist, End Process:

avgemc.exe

avgamsver.exe

avgupsvc.exe

avgcc.exe

If exist, delete the following folders:

C:\Program Files\Grisoft

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Grisoft

C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\AVG7

C:\Windows\Application Data\AVG7

Navigate to the AVG installation folder: The default path is C:\program files\grisoft\avg free

Locate and run the setup.exe file. One of the options will be to uninstall AVG. Select that and make sure you check 'remove all user settings'.

If the folder doesn't exist, download the latest AVG package from

http://free.grisoft.com/doc/2/lng/us/tpl/v5

and run it and select Uninstall from the setup wizard.

I had seen that FAQ before and tried to do that (but not the ending processes and deleting part) both dowloading the file and with the one in the program folder. The problem is that before it can ask if I want to uninstall anything it asks for a registration key I don't have. So I had given up by that method.

Well anyway, I'll try again and get back to you tomorrow. Should I do that also on safe mode, following the same steps from before?

Thanks!

I'm not sure which items would load in safe mode when it comes to end process on the exe's....

Try it in normal first, if it shows resistance then drop back into safe mode and try again.

If it's grayed out the resident shield is disabled but it's still a running process so end those processes that Juliet mentioned.

Just took a look at the Grisoft folder I have and it's a tad less obvious as far as an uninstall icon than i expected. I see set-up which you could try to re-install the current version but I really can't tell if the uninstall wizard is in the folder.

Have you tried Start>all programs>AVG>uninstall? I'm unsure of the error your getting when you install but you definitely need to right click the gray bar at the bottom of the desk top and go to task manager and end the processes for a successful uninstillation.

Is there anyway to check the key your using? Try going to the control center for it and click information.

Edited by adam22

I'm sorry guys, for not replying earlier but I got busy yesterday and couldn't sit to try again until now.

Anyway, it worked!

I first tried ending the processes and deleting the folders, both on safe mode and normal, but still another item showed up saying that it was being used and couldn't be deleted.

Then I tried the setup file I have and when it asked for a registration key I used the one in the information tab of the program. It didn't recognize it.

But finally I went back to the Grisoft site and downloaded the trial version that surely woudn't ask for a key. It didn't, but also never asked if I wanted to uninstall AVG and just installed it...

But when I was close to :pullhair:, after the reboot, it initialized and finally asked if I wanted to uninstall it. Thank god, after that neither the trial version or the one I had before showed up, although the old folder is still there.

Thank you so much to everyone that helped me here, you guys are great!! :worship::worship:

Okay, I am having the worst luck ever.

I can't uninstall AVG, if I try to delete it in program files, I can't do it and it says I need permission even though I am the administrator, and yet I also CAN'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING so I can't get the programs that remove AVG for me.

What do I do?

Okay, I am having the worst luck ever.

I can't uninstall AVG, if I try to delete it in program files, I can't do it and it says I need permission even though I am the administrator, and yet I also CAN'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING so I can't get the programs that remove AVG for me.

What do I do?

Hey Zero, I think you'll have to start your own post.

This worked for me running windows XP

Click on Start then Run.

Type "TASKMGR.EXE"

Click on Processes tab and look for "avgwdsvc.exe". Click on it then click on end process.

Click on Start then Search.

Click on All files and folders then type in AVG and delete everything.