Change Mode

We have two computers connected to a router, which in turn is connected to a cable modem. When only one computer is on, things are fine, but when both are on, things become very slow. I ran a few speed tests at http://www.speedtest.net/, and here are typical results (the average over a few tests)

One computer switched on:

Download speed ~ 1000 kbps

Upload speed ~ 120 kbps

Ping ~ 100ms

Two computers switched on with the second not being used:

Download speed ~ 900 kbps

Upload speed ~ 80 kbps

Ping ~ 1000ms

Now, without really knowing a great deal about networking or what ping means, it is obvious that this is the most noticeable difference here. Can anyone give an explanation of this (and preferably a solution too!)?

Thanks.

there are two main kinds of networking devices that split up the network connection, hubs and switches. a hub works like a cable slplitter, it just splits it up and all the traffic goes to everything. a switch is like a hub with a traffic cop, it sends the traffic in the direction it needs to go.

your router has a built-in hub to share the internet on. what this means is that even if the other computer isn't being used, all computers connected are being sent all the data packets that any single computer on the network is requesting.

so, in a nutshell, get a better router, or get a network switch.

ahhh, you're using wireless. my above explanation only really applies to wired networks. :lol:

all wireless routers are simple hubs. the more devices connected, the more latency (higher pings). i don't have enough personal experience with wireless routers to suggest one, sorry. :)

Actually, although the new router has wireless capability, both computers are wired into it via ethernet connections (along with an xbox 360). This was the router that was recommended to us by the guy in the shop, but the wireless side of things is not necessary. :)

If you're not using the wireless side, make sure you go into the routers config settings and disable it if you haven't already. If you haven't then that could explain the problem as most routers come out of the box with the wireless wide open, meaning anyone and their brother can connect to it if the pick up the signal.

Don't think it's the router. I have a WiFi router/modem, ADSL not cable, and do not have the problems you've got; Lan has 2 WiFi pcs 1 wired pc and 1 wired printer.

You should check cable modem setup or your service provider.