Change Mode

I recently changed from dial-up to dsl with my phone company and everything was fine until

I downloaded their version of anti virus CA. My computer started to slow down and freeze up alot. So I uninstalled the CA but it still freezes up not as bad but still its aggrevating . I tried doing a spyware deep scan with pc pitstop and I get this error message....... error creating registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ppctl RegCreateKeyEx failed:code 5 Access is denied I know that their is no viruses and I use avg + pitstop optimizer. Any ideas

I recently changed from dial-up to dsl with my phone company and everything was fine until

I downloaded their version of anti virus CA. My computer started to slow down and freeze up alot. So I uninstalled the CA but it still freezes up not as bad but still its aggrevating . I tried doing a spyware deep scan with pc pitstop and I get this error message....... error creating registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ppctl RegCreateKeyEx failed:code 5 Access is denied I know that their is no viruses and I use avg + pitstop optimizer. Any ideas

Patsy, try and run a Pit Test. How to is below in my signature.....;)

:geezer:

First, I'd shut down as many of these at startup as possible:

a. Speech Microsoft Corporation C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe

b. HSTrans.exe ACNielsen C:\Program Files\ACNielsen\Homescan Internet ... \HSTrans.exe

c. Windows Live Logon Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Share ... \WLLoginProxy.exe

d. Button Manager Dell Computer Corporation C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe

e. Button Monitor Dell Computer Corporation C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe

f. Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe

g. CD-RW support Sonic Solutions C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\dla\tfswctrl.exe

h. Microsoft Corporation C:\PROGRA~1\MSNMES~1\msnmsgr.exe

i. ShoppersHotlineWired C:\windows\system32\shwired.exe

You can click on each one shown on the Windows page of your test to see more info. Also have a look here: http://www.answersthatwork.com just click the Task List button to see an Alphabetical Index....

Just to be safe why don't you download HiJackThis and save it to a folder on your desktop. Then open the program and select to "Scan and save a logfile". Post the logfile here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=25

b. HSTrans.exe ACNielsen C:\Program Files\ACNielsen\Homescan Internet ... \HSTrans.exe

c. Windows Live Logon Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Share ... \WLLoginProxy.exe

d. Button Manager Dell Computer Corporation C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmgr.exe

e. Button Monitor Dell Computer Corporation C:\Program Files\Dell AIO Printer A920\dlbkbmon.exe

f. Windows Live Messenger Microsoft Corporation C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\usnsvc.exe

You can click on each one shown on the Windows page of your test to see more info. Also have a look here: http://www.answersthatwork.com just click the Task List button to see an Alphabetical Index....

Just to be safe why don't you download HiJackThis and save it to a folder on your desktop. Then open the program and select to "Scan and save a logfile". Post the logfile here:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.php?showforum=25

DONE !

after you uninstalled antivirus CA did you clean-up your computer with system tools or any cleaner at all

you can download clean-up

run it

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=72

it maybe that your registry is not closing an application

that would cause it to hang you could try uphclean

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

did you remove any folders in program files that are associated with antivirus CA

start/open my computer/open Cdrive/look for Antivirus CA and right click and delete

then run steven gould cleanup

start/run/prefetch/click ok

on edit

select all

on any blue file

right click and delete

confirm delete

empty recycle bin

open my computer

right click on cdrive

click properties

click tools

check now

check both boxes

click start

you get the message check disk cannot run at this time another volume is using it do you wish to schedule it

just restart your computer and allow chkdsk to run

it takes about 1 or 2 hours to reach desk top

DO NOT DISTURB THIS

Edited by mme

after you uninstalled antivirus CA did you clean-up your computer with system tools or any cleaner at all

you can download clean-up

run it

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=72

it maybe that your registry is not closing an application

that would cause it to hang you could try uphclean

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

did you remove any folders in program files that are associated with antivirus CA

start/open my computer/open Cdrive/look for Antivirus CA and right click and delete

then run steven gould cleanup

start/run/prefetch/click ok

on edit

select all

on any blue file

right click and delete

confirm delete

empty recycle bin

open my computer

right click on cdrive

click properties

click tools

check now

check both boxes

click start

you get the message check disk cannot run at this time another volume is using it do you wish to schedule it

just restart your computer and allow chkdsk to run

it takes about 1 or 2 hours to reach desk top

DO NOT DISTURB THIS

I ran CCleaner. And I did remove any folders in program files that are associated with antivirus CA. I do disk error checking but I never check the scan for and attempt to recovery of bad sectors. Edited by Patsy Woods

DONE !

QUOTE(caintry_boy @ 12:17am Sun Jan 6 2008) *

Ummm.........Better check again :nono:;)

Ummm.........Better check again :nono:;)

No I meant that I did a hijack this scan and sent it to the forum site NOT that I had disabled the stuff he said at start up. I went to my start up and none of that stuff shows up on it. I am calling dell tomorrow and get 1 gb. That should be enough. I cannot shut down some of that cause I have programs that I need...Ok wait I went to run msconfig when I should have went to alt ctrl del (right) how do I disabled them. Edited by Patsy Woods

Patsy, Ctrl-Alt-Del will only bring up Task Manager and then you can only shut them down, (turn off/terminate) the running program.

Start/run/msconfig is the correct place to have looked....if they're not there, then you can't disable them except maybe in services.msc. Perhaps set some of them to *manual*??? Your choice.

No I meant that I did a hijack this scan and sent it to the forum site NOT that I had disabled the stuff he said at start up. I went to my start up and none of that stuff shows up on it. I am calling dell tomorrow and get 1 gb. That should be enough. I cannot shut down some of that cause I have programs that I need...Ok wait I went to run msconfig when I should have went to alt ctrl del (right) how do I disabled them.

Looking at the list that caintry_boy posted again I am surprised that

these would not be listed under the start up tab via msconfig.

Hopefully you will be allowed to access them in services as suggested.

You will be very happy when you add more RAM. :clap:

;)

I do hope when you went from dialup to DSL you also added a firewall/router. it could very well be that CV or winodws firewall is working overtime blocking and allowing stuff in and out.

Just somthing to think about. as a rule never live without a router/firewall when conected to the internet 24/7

I do hope when you went from dialup to DSL you also added a firewall/router. it could very well be that CV or winodws firewall is working overtime blocking and allowing stuff in and out.

Just somthing to think about. as a rule never live without a router/firewall when conected to the internet 24/7

OK I disabled EVERYTHING at startup. And I cleaned out junk files, did a pitstop optimize. cleaned out java.. restarted pc and it takes about 35 to 40 seconds to start internet explorer. and it is still freezing up when I click on anything it takes about 20 or so seconds to unfreeze before I can continue. When I first start IE it will come up the first 2 times as page cannot be displayed then after about 30 sec on the third try it comes up. It just might be the firewall and ram. Edited by Patsy Woods

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/landi...CFQ66PAodLXTXYQ ;)

How does it work if you leave it sit say for 5 min or so before

launching anything at start up? A lot of firewalls will slow your

start up down.

Could you post new test results?

My firewall is the one that was on here when I bought it. Should the internet be checked or uncheck for exceptions. My 1gb is to be delivered Jan 10th. http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=SH4ESW3ENRJSCS3G

My firewall is the one that was on here when I bought it. Should the internet be checked or uncheck for exceptions. My 1gb is to be delivered Jan 10th. http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress.asp?id=SH4ESW3ENRJSCS3G

Did you give Firefox a look? It really is a superior browser.

The firewall on our windows machine slowed things up as well.

I just refuse to let the machine access the internet anymore. :P