Change Mode

Hi, recently upon booting up I have received the following error message:

internal window: svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00000103" referenced memory at "0x00000103". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

If I don't click anything, everything runs fine since SVCHOST is still running. But if I click OK or CANCEL, then usually nothing will respond, and there will be a busy hourglass sign over the taskbar. Also, if I try to open the Task Manager, nothing happens, same with Firefox or anything else.

This has happened each time I boot up, but has only begun occuring recently today. I've tried restarting several times but each time it comes up consistently.

My antivirus program has expired and I have a way of renewing it but it wasn't compatible with Spybot so I havent renewed it yet...I know that I should be using an antivirus program, Its stupid not to be.

So I am hoping this isn't a security issue but rather just a program issue...I have a drive defragmenter that may be causing the issue although im not sure if thats it..

I tried researching on the internet but I wasn't able to find what the specific error was..

When I clicked OK to the error message, I wasn't able to hear any sound on the internet and the computer no longer recognized the sound card or anything (since the svchost.exe that was terminated apparently one of the services it controls is Windows Audio, so that explains that..)

But I can't track the specific error down... and I would really appreciate help with that so I can fix this issue. Thanks in advance :)

Also, If you know of any really really lightweight active real-time security programs that are also extremely protective I would appreciate if you could let me know of them as well, thanks..because I need a good lightweight firewall, antivirus, and good protective antispyware that is not outdated or ineffective at keeping me safe...the reason I am not using protection is because when it runs in realtime guarding my comp it usually takes up too much memory, I have a comp that is a Pentium 1.4 ghz single core, with only 30-40 gb hard drive space, a 64 mb nvidia geforce mx440, and only 384 mb memory...so it is pretty terrible...and I have a fair amount of stuff installed already, although I recently removed a few gigs of unneeded material.

So thats why I really don't want any security programs that will hog my memory as it already has a lot of lag. Well maybe not a lot but too much in my opinion.

Edited by AverageJoe

since you have no antivirus

you need to assume this to be infection

download cleanup

http://www.stevengould.org/index.php?optio...9&Itemid=72

download and run this antivirus program

update it and run the program

in safe mode..turn on computer/tap F8/when you get safemode options/choose safemode/open avast and run the program

http://filehippo.com/download_avast_antivirus/

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, If you know of any really really lightweight active real-time security programs that are also extremely protective I would appreciate if you could let me know of them as well, thanks..because I need a good lightweight firewall, antivirus, and good protective antispyware that is not outdated or ineffective at keeping me safe...the reason I am not using protection is because when it runs in realtime guarding my comp it usually takes up too much memory, I have a comp that is a Pentium 1.4 ghz single core, with only 30-40 gb hard drive space, a 64 mb nvidia geforce mx440, and only 384 mb memory...so it is pretty terrible...and I have a fair amount of stuff installed already, although I recently removed a few gigs of unneeded material.

So thats why I really don't want any security programs that will hog my memory as it already has a lot of lag. Well maybe not a lot but too much in my opinion.

AVG antivirus is pretty lightweight. I use it all the time while gaming.

Grisoft AVG

Would it be possible for you to post a HJT log so we can analyze what you have running @ startup.

Edited by brank20